Diablo® III

60(13) Monk, Dishonorable Death (and review)

I was playing with my farming partner last night and died due to disconnect/game crash on an easy run through Act 1.

Cave of the Moon clan, poison/arcane/something else/

...Dashing Strike into the fray....with full health/spirit....
...game freezes....
....HELP!!!!.... (into Skype)
....screen goes white....
....game audio looping, stuck in techno hell.....
....windows screen about Diablo 3 Retail has crashed....
.....partner killed everything quickly and he was fine....
....log back in....
....I'm dead.

I'd love to say I learned something from this death, but I had no control over my first HC death. I was told I just "disappeared" from the game, and there was no body lying on the ground. Very frustrating. There were no "application warnings" that had popped under my game, nothing. (Disabled all that nonsense EARLY in my HC career when a Javascript update damn near ended me)

So, before I re-roll, can I get a review of my Monk at the time of his death? (Pawn). I felt like I was lacking: LoH VIT DPS

Anything else you see? Any skills I can rethink on my reroll?
Reply Quote
"Dashing Strike"

Found your problem right there. Its your own fault. This skill has been bugged since its existence. Just don't use it.
Reply Quote
"Dashing Strike"

Found your problem right there. Its your own fault. This skill has been bugged since its existence. Just don't use it.

I thought tempest rush was the bugged one. If dashing strike is also bugged, then what do you use to escape?
Reply Quote
Also fire resist is a good resist to stack but your resists in total we're under 500? I must look away :o Not safe for starter monks. Stack resist and dmg mitigation first add in dmg later. The quicker you rush for dmg the quicker you rush for death. You had almost 2k dex but were not using the passive to make it into 1k more armor for you either.
Reply Quote
I don't escape, I kill. I have 24ms and gear you are not seeing for MP5 uber runs. Tempest rush is not bugged but can rubber band you. Dashing strike is bugged to the point where it will just kill you.
Reply Quote
RIP.
I can see a few things beside DS.

Your armor is a bit low, and your AR is quite low too. I would remove exalted soul from your passives and add seize the intiative for armor increase (and try to get gear with better armor). I would then drop hard target and put MoH-time of need. That should add survivability. And yes, you need LoH too :)
Good luck on the reroll.

Lab.
Reply Quote
Thanks all for the review.

I'd never had issues with Dashing Strike, apparently, until now. Bugger. I am really sad this skill may have been my cause of death. It's quite possibly my most used skill and I felt I'd gotten quite good at using it.

I was stacking Fire Resist. At one point, I was well over 500, but due to some switching around of gear, it dropped below 500 and no, I was not happy about it.

I was using "Hard Target" for the armor boost....and felt like if anything, the individual pieces of armor I was wearing were pretty decent. 702 helm, 733 chest, etc. I was on the lookout for shoulders and belts but never found much worthy of upgrading....at least in my price range.

I feel like I "hit a wall" with this monk at P(10). Where I could no longer afford to buy from the AH, the game wasn't dropping upgrades, and I couldn't safely/efficiently run Act 2 or 3 for better drops. I went on a couple of Act 3 runs with friends and got carried, but still, soloing anything higher than Act 1 for better gear with this monk was out of the question, I'm not so stupid that I would try to manhandle any Act other that 1 with him.
Reply Quote
Public games in act 3 with good resists will get you carried to the gear you were seeking. Dropping the resists was a fatal mistake. Also go a different direction with the weapons. They're a really cheap open socket stat sticks with crit dmg that would boost your dps farther then what you we're currently using. Good luck on your next monk, anyone is capable of making it to act 3 to farm. Do public games to start and do not wander off alone stick with the better geared person of your group.
Reply Quote
* Ahem *

Let's be clear that Dashing Strike was NOT what killed you. Yes it is bugged and it's happened to me more than a handful of times. But your health just goes to 1 and you can't die. It's still a mandatory skill for me. Tempest Rush can actually kill you when it rubberbands.

However, if your DPS gets high enough like FuzzyBunnies, you don't need an escape skill, you just kill. I'd probably switch to the same build he has if I had 4 piece Inna's and that dps.

You died before you disconnected because your resists were pretty awful. Armor is OK for dual wield.
Reply Quote
TR can kill you, dashing will get you into the loop (at which point you dont use other skills but just leave the game) and can kill you in 1% of the cases.... Im not using either of them due to a heart attack I had when dashing went crazy on me...
RIP Monkey, g/l with reroll.. I would suggest a crit/AR build coz both of them were kinda low on your char....(not that expensive btw)
Reply Quote
Man OP, I remember your other post about something a while back about dual wielding or shield use. But I could not believe you did not know about the DS bugs. Just an FYI to others there is a chance that once in the bug, when you log out like many say you can die. This is from experience, while my friend was bugged he logged out, but when he logged in he was dead.
But at least you have learned something from this. Good luck on your next roll, and hopefully you
stack more resist and use a shield, but hey if you really like dual wielding, more power to you.
Reply Quote
View profile
Man OP, I remember your other post about something a while back about dual wielding or shield use. But I could not believe you did not know about the DS bugs. Just an FYI to others there is a chance that once in the bug, when you log out like many say you can die. This is from experience, while my friend was bugged he logged out, but when he logged in he was dead.
But at least you have learned something from this. Good luck on your next roll, and hopefully you
stack more resist and use a shield, but hey if you really like dual wielding, more power to you.

No, when you log out, you live. If you did indeed get the dashing strike bug, what WILL kill you 100% is using Seven Sided Strike. This thread has it documented pretty thoroughly.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6573700137#16

If you are curious, he did not have his character restored.
Reply Quote
^thanks for post, good info there.
Reply Quote
"Dashing Strike"

u have a p51 monk, yet u dont exactly know bout the DS bug :/

No, when you log out, you live. If you did indeed get the dashing strike bug, what WILL kill you 100% is using Seven Sided Strike. This thread has it documented pretty thoroughly.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6573700137#16

If you are curious, he did not have his character restored.

This.

I've always been using DS, and experienced tht bug several times. You'll survive as long as u just hit esc and leave game without trying anything fancy (like SSS).
TR on the other hand has the potential to kill you more frequently coz of the rubber-banding. You never know when it will do tht.

@OP - RIP dude. U say tht the game froze, which means it has nothing to do with DS. DS bug wud just make u invisible and unable to move, but the game wont freeze.
Edited by ZealousAngel#1585 on 1/28/2013 10:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
To clarify, I have seen the DS bug a couple of times and never did ANYTHING like what I saw yesterday. I looked at the screenshots in the thread about the SSS thing, and my screens look nothing like that.

Here's the play by play:

- I Dashing Striked in to an enemy
- Screen went white (but could still see the frozen D3 screen below)
- I said "Help" into my Skype headset.
- D3 audio was "looping" like a techno beat...dddddddddddddd (Skype unaffected, could still hear partner fine)
- Partner says via skype...."Everything is dead, where are you?"
- Window popped up that said, "Diablo 3 Retail has crashed" (Close program/ wait for it to respond...)
- Chose to wait for it to respond....
- Instantly, window appears again, asking the same thing....
- Ended program.

Logged back in no problem, still in party with my partner, but my Level 60 (1) SC Barb was now in the party!? I don't even have a HC barb!

I never saw a "You have died" screen.
Death by crash?

I hear everyone loud and clear about resists.....but again, this fight was not something I was concerned about going in to. Act 1 had been a breeze....and then this.

Never once did I think, "I should contact support and get a rollback." Seems like a crybaby tactic. :)
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 10:16 AMPosted by ZealousAngel

I'm pretty sure I'm still alive because I don't use a bugged skill that requires strict procedures not to die.

OP you might of just crashed out as well. Check your graphics drivers are up to date etc. It happens. Either way you were bound to die because of the all resist thing. Its not a big deal, you'll be stronger on you're reroll.
Reply Quote
Tempest Rush is bugged and causes a server side disconnect for many many people. (Myself included).
Reply Quote
Maybe I'll wait until some of these "monk-centric" skill issues are resolved before I re-roll another monk.

Got a WD at 49 waiting to come up....so maybe I'll go that route for awhile. Shame, I really liked the monk. Still do.

My graphics drives are up to date, gur-un-teed. :)
Edited by Ojame#1890 on 1/28/2013 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sounds good, gl! Witch Dr is pretty fun and OP as balls in pvp :)
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 11:08 AMPosted by FuzzyBunnies

I'm pretty sure I'm still alive because I don't use a bugged skill that requires strict procedures not to die.

Lol'd at "strict procedures" xD

Btw, my death had nothing to do with DS.

Again - I'm surprised tht a high plvl monk is not fully aware of wat the DS bug really is. Maybe u heard about it from someone who was not fully aware of it, and then just decided never to use it. Either way, plz do not spread info which u r not sure about (DS bug) - u might be making ppl shun a truly boss skill (DS)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]