Diablo® III

Need some serious advice on dueling barbs.

Heres the build I'm using--

Prep/Battle scars
Smoke Screen/Lingering
Sentry/Spitfire or sometimes aid station
Companion/Boar
Primary: Evasive with covering fire
Secondary: Impale with chemical burn

Passives:Perfectionist-Brooding-Numbing traps or archery depending which class

I currently run in 200k dps with 140k hp 634ar and 5800 armor

I really don't have much problem with any other class... but I've pre much run out of ideas on beating barbs on duels...and yes this is only against somewhat high end geared barbs. A very good barb friend of mine(Friendlyfade) I'm sure some of you dueled him.. and not just him but simlilar gears like him with stormshield and 5 ik sets for fast fury regen, after rending theyd just sprint around the map with their almost unlimited fury regen and even if my impale goes thru their life regen is just too fast. Stunning don't work since they just counter it with juggernaut and believe me I've switched to dps spec gears to pull my dps above 346k but the fight was even worse hence giving up my defensive stats..
Are barbs rly the most dominant class both pve and pvp?? Please if anyone knows a better build to fight off these barbs let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.. just not smart enough to come off with a better build myself. If you think you have what it takes to beat this barb as a dh add me in game and give it a try..
Reply Quote
I've never dueled, so my advice is purely theoretical. But is Boar really the best companion? Wouldn't that allow the barb to gain fury? Perhaps use Bat instead? Or Vault?

Instead of Impale, maybe Strafe?
Instead of Numbing Traps or Perfectionist, maybe Tactical Advantage?

I would think the trick is to keep your distance. Don't let them get close to gain fury. Wear them down. When they run away, chase. If they charge, retreat.

Does the Shadow Power / Strafe gimmick still work in 1.0.7? If so you could maintain Shadow Power while strafing. This would allow you to use runes like Night Bane or Shadow Glide for long periods. Then you could possibly replace Battle Scars with Punishment since you'd get healing from Shadow Power and while strafing through Aid Stations.

But again this is just theorycrafting. Maybe the mechanics of PvP make this unrealistic.
Edited by Fatum#1415 on 1/28/2013 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh and nice EHP on your shield by the way, but the block chance looks rather low. Would you be better served by one with higher block chance?
Reply Quote
Strafe is no longer a viable skill when you get to the high tier duels.. sure its a fun skill to decimate noobs in random public rooms. Theres no point keeping the distance kiting them. I also have legacy nats, tried going vault with tactical.. but as I've said their life regen is too fast if I keep my distance then it just makes them easier to get away behind a wall and regen back their life.. takes like what 3 seconds to gain most of their hp back to full.. you can kite as long.. but really they just need to land rend on u a couple times and run off. As for fury with their 5 IK set bonus they have no problem gaining furies.

ps Just can't find a shield with great stats like I have with high block also =P
Reply Quote
Hmm, here's another thought. I'm a Multishot user, and when I'm using it in the Keep Depths firing at mobs through a doorway, I hit mobs that are behind the wall around the corner of the door even that aren't in direct line of sight. So it seems Multishot can somewhat fire through walls. If the barb is hiding behind walls to regen, have you tried whether Multishot can fire through them to keep up the pressure?
Reply Quote
I can relate to this...barbs with high ehp are hands down my hardest matchup. Anyone have some insight?
Reply Quote
Tank barbs are very hard to kill. Try gearing yourself with a hard hitting weapon like a manticore or good rare and try to score 2-3 successive crits with impale/chemical burn. Your crits need to deal at least 1.5m dmg to put a dent on their hp.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried RoV - stampede for dueling? It does a good chunk of damage and the knockback could prevent the barb from running for cover allowing you to finish it off with impale.
Reply Quote
I would think.... from a standpoint of high EHP and high block and with crazy damage reduction they can have....

Stun (with bola or soj/frost-arrow to freeze something to slow them down).. then clusterbombs. Clusters are slow so you need to have a good stun or freeze on them.

Other option for close up would be to use LFB almost instant hit and you can unload 2 right away into them.

Just some thoughts. I also have not gone against any high EHP barbs as of yet so I'm just "guessing" so to speak
Reply Quote
have you tried spike traps/echoing and bola/imminent? also spitfire turrets, impale/chemical burn, and bat. i've tried this before against 3 barbs all against me. most of the time i got 2 out of 3, others i got 4-5 when they get impatient.
Reply Quote
Stun (with bola or soj/frost-arrow to freeze something to slow them down).. then clusterbombs. Clusters are slow so you need to have a good stun or freeze on them.

I think the problem with choosing stun skills against a barb is that they will pick Juggernaut as a counter. Here's the description of their Juggernaut passive:

The duration of control impairing effects on you is reduced by 20%. In addition, whenever a Stun, Fear, Immobilize or Charm is cast on you, you have a chance to recover 15% of your maximum Life.

The freeze idea is an interesting thought though, as Juggernaut would not apply, or is that the same as Immobilize?
Edited by Fatum#1415 on 1/28/2013 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
You don't have the room to use ur valuable hatred on Multi shot just to get a tick on them.. it hardly outlasts the barbarians life regen.

[TasteDeath]"Tank barbs are very hard to kill. Try gearing yourself with a hard hitting weapon like a manticore or good rare and try to score 2-3 successive crits with impale/chemical burn. Your crits need to deal at least 1.5m dmg to put a dent on their hp."

yes you may be able to get a kill off here and there but this does not get you more wins overall.. as you have to time ur big hit when theyre shield is down and your relying on your hit has to be a crit. Even if I do make a critical hit, if I dont deliever the killing blow within the next 2 seconds roughly theyre hps just back to square one hiding behind a wall to regen.
Reply Quote
I like Hungering Arrow + Impale (Impact), and optionally Sentry. SS/Prep/Vault for defense.

Evasive Fire and Strafe just don't do enough damage for me once you start fighting well geared ones, and in any case they are too short ranged, especially Strafe. You can get the same results (moving and shooting with more damage and more range) with Hungering Arrow + stutter stepping so what's the use of Strafe?

Hungering Arrow applies pressure and Sentry keeps them honest so they don't think they can just run in and Rend as they like. Impale is for burst but more importantly control which works two ways, stunning them if they approach so you can escape, and stunning them to keep them in place for more dps if they try to kite.

As for passives, do what you like but I highly recommend TA. Otherwise they will outrun you handily with Sprint or force you to spend discipline like water, and you don't want to let him get a Rend off on you at all costs.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 1/28/2013 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
You don't have the room to use ur valuable hatred on Multi shot just to get a tick on them.. it hardly outlasts the barbarians life regen.

[TasteDeath]"Tank barbs are very hard to kill. Try gearing yourself with a hard hitting weapon like a manticore or good rare and try to score 2-3 successive crits with impale/chemical burn. Your crits need to deal at least 1.5m dmg to put a dent on their hp."

yes you may be able to get a kill off here and there but this does not get you more wins overall.. as you have to time ur big hit when theyre shield is down and your relying on your hit has to be a crit. Even if I do make a critical hit, if I dont deliever the killing blow within the next 2 seconds roughly theyre hps just back to square one hiding behind a wall to regen.

Sharpshooter passive. I notice that you dont have this passive on your list, its hands down the best pvp passive for DH. You should be able to get 2-3 guaranteed crits off on them with this, block doesnt do anything to mitigate that kind of dmg, their only hope is to dodge your attacks.

Edit:

Just realised that you were referring to ignore pain when you said "shield". Yea there is no other way other than to ss and run away when you see them with this, you will only be able to beat them when ignore pain is on cooldown.
Edited by TasteDeath#6239 on 1/28/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here's a crazy thought. Play sitting duck. Stand in Sentries. Surround yourself with 6 Spike Trap Echoing Blasts. When he pounces, Shadow Power Gloom, Chakram Shurikan Cloud, Fan of Knives Retaliate, and Rain of Vengeance. Passives:

Sharpshooter
Custom Engineering
Numbing Traps

Good luck living through that! :)
Reply Quote
Any slowing effects do not work on them as they pop sprint you hardly even notice them being slowed at all.. it doesn't even take a genius barb to figure out.. a semi smart ones will just come at you only when their shield cds up, yes you can try to kite them with vault and tactical but for how long until your disc runs out all they have to do is land 1 rend on you and they just can sprint away again with their almost unlimited fury regen with 5 IK sets. Funny how barbarians are the kiters in pvp. I will say this again if you think you have the build and the skills to defeat these barbs just add me in game I will set you up with a match. Just dying to find a dh with the correct build and the gear setups that can constantly kill these barbs.
Reply Quote
yea I've tried sharpshooter my dps goes up to 580k with it. Had the barb just stand still and gave away 2 shots of LFB it got half of his hp which takes away all my hatred and this is him without trying to defend himself.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Juni
yea I've tried sharpshooter my dps goes up to 580k with it. Had the barb just stand still and gave away 2 shots of LFB it got half of his hp which takes away all my hatred and this is him without trying to defend himself.

You need a weapon with much higher avg dmg, and I think chemical burn is better than LFB.
Reply Quote

Then all you'd have to do is Prep Punishment and fire 2 more. If you want, throw in Vengeance or Grenadier to fire 2 more for good measure. Bye bye barb. All you'd need is enough discipline for a Smoke Screen and Prep Punishment. And minus hatred cost on Cluster gear wouldn't hurt.
Reply Quote
mhm yea maybe sharpshooter with impale is better maybe you have a better shot with him Taste you wanna give it a go and see how op these barbs are? Just let me know here then I'll add you in game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]