Diablo® III

Need some serious advice on dueling barbs.

01/28/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Juni
mhm yea maybe sharpshooter with impale is better maybe you have a better shot with him Taste you wanna give it a go and see how op these barbs are? Just let me know here then I'll add you in game.

Yes I know they are very hard to beat, I've dueled a couple myself with calamity setup (with marquis ruby) and it was tough. I just re-geared my dh so I'd like to duel them again but I just copied my char over to ptr yesterday, need to wait another ~40 hrs before I can play again.
Reply Quote
You could try this:

Hungering Cinder Arrow
Cluster Arrow Loaded for Bear
Smoke Screen Lingering Fog
Prep Punishment
Sentry Guardian Turret
Rain of Vengeance

Grenadier
Vengeance
Sharpshooter

Get some reduce hatred on Cluster, like -10. With Grenadier, that would bring the cost down to 30. With Vengeance, you could fire 5 Clusters. Then Prep Punishment and fire 5 more. What barb could live through 10 clusters even if some are blocked or dodged? I'd go with either a double socket Manticore or maybe even dual wield to stack high crit damage but still have high attack speed to get in all those clusters in a short period.
Reply Quote
yea.. if I can fire 5 cluster bombs then MAYBE. I know you can get less hatred on dml but what else can't think of one right now.
Reply Quote
I believe the gear on which you can get hatred reduction for cluster is:

Quivers/shields : 1-5
Stone of Jordan: 1-5
Skull Grasp: 1-4
Mara Kaleidoscope: 1-5
Reply Quote
I've had good luck with Strafe - Drifiting Shadow. But I also have strafe-specific gear so when I duel the crit chance of my Strafe is like 75% or something ridiculous. YMMV

If you're going to use Cluster Arrow, then you should really get a slower but more powerful bow (i.e. Manticore). When you spend 50 Hatred on a shot, you want to make sure that that shot is as powerful as possible
Reply Quote
Ive dueled high barbs like
KingKongor, and Appanim,
Appanim, who i usually fair pretty well against, and the same to kongor.

with both i use the folllowing:

Smokescreen lingering
Vault tumble
Preparation battlescar
shadow power gloom

Hungering arrow the burning one
impale chemical burn

passives:
tactical advantage
thrill of the hunt
sharp shooter

many DHs seem to forget one of the best passives for 1v1s.
Thrill of the hunt.
this passive if you dont know, stuns the next target hit by one of ur hatred costing skills.
this stun is up every 8 seconds or so, and is VERY useful agaisnt barbs.
i might not have great ehp.
but if i get one impale stun on the barb, their usually dead.
with high barbs like kongor and appanim, i do this several times while kiting them, then when their ignore pain is down, hunt them down and kill them
Reply Quote
thrill of the hunt, hmmmmm. sounds like something to try
Reply Quote
Thrill of the hunt yea maybe.. but once they have juggernaut wouldn't the stunlock just heal them then you'd have to kite them for another 7 seconds for the next stun but yea its definitely something I will try.. but really I gotta actually see you beat these barbs. Sooner or later more and more barbs are gonna figure out these kiting builds with a stormshield and justice lantern on. Fobm4ster add me in game and I can set you up a match with a barb I'm talking about.. you just may be the one to prove that dhs do have a legitimate chance against these tanky kiting barbs..
Edited by Juni#1635 on 1/28/2013 6:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
im thinking entangling shot(or bola stun but because of the delay) with lightning bolt or frost arrow and a big hitter like impale chem burn.

passives thrill, ta, archery or perfectionist.

still will take a lot of work, like friendlyfade, he can take 6-7 of my impales just standing there. thats me at 310 unbuff with soj. further buffed by archey, sa, sharpshooter.

never thot i will need cc, im very much the get in ur face you die or i die kinda guy, but with aggressive approach to these barbs, its just i die.
Reply Quote
if you try wind force, it's kinda easy to permanently knock them back.
try cinder arrow and impale.

It works great against high ehp barbs with storm shield.
Reply Quote

For the average and maybe some well geared barb this is true. But when I dueled with the few elite barbs, I say WF lacks the punching power to penetrate their uber defense. Hopefully bow will get some buff or we can develop a new strat against top tier barbs. Until then, WF has no shot with the heavyweight barbs on 1v1 just yet. For the rest of the class WF is doing fine.

So far only way I have succeeded with WF is using traps and bola stun. Barbs becomes cautious delivering their rend if you are surrounded with EB. They will pump IP and jump right to your nest. The next situation will depend on the outcome of that encounter. Either DH chasing a sprinting barb. Or Sprinting barb chasing a vaulting dh.

Then again barbs can switch to juggernaut or range build if bola/traps becomes a problem.

I will try to create a different thread for WF users to discuss strategies against elite barbs.

Back to thread topic. Mannercookie shared me this video of a very good dh. Its all about staying away from the barb and landing as much impale as possible.

This video is worth a thousand topic of theory crafting and discussions.

http://www.twitch.tv/mannercookie/c/1863241
Edited by ThePwet#6321 on 1/28/2013 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote

Back to thread topic. Mannercookie shared me this video of a very good dh. Its all about staying away from the barb and landing as much impale as possible.

I was thinking "hmm this DH looks familiar than I saw his name :D yes he is a good dueling DH, you guys should look for the clip he dueled Morltan few days ago.

Anyways it surprises me not many DH is using vault like he does, it costs a little discipline compared to smoke screen and with TA you can pull a long distance, very useful for dodging or chasing barbs.
Reply Quote

That barb looks like he doesn't have much regen though. Like his HP doesn't go back up that fast?

The main issues I have with barbs is I can't actually kill them. Like they pretty much heal through my DPS, lol.
Reply Quote
lol its funny how slackjaw owned that barb and then he came back and said its a stalemate because he could run away forever.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Monsta
lol its funny how slackjaw owned that barb and then he came back and said its a stalemate because he could run away forever.

01/28/2013 09:06 PMPosted by TianZi
That barb looks like he doesn't have much regen though. Like his HP doesn't go back up that fast?

Dont get it wrong guys, manner is one of the top barbs.
Edited by ThePwet#6321 on 1/28/2013 10:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

I was thinking "hmm this DH looks familiar than I saw his name :D yes he is a good dueling DH, you guys should look for the clip he dueled Morltan few days ago.

Anyways it surprises me not many DH is using vault like he does, it costs a little discipline compared to smoke screen and with TA you can pull a long distance, very useful for dodging or chasing barbs.

add vault, but my brain cannot handle so many things all at one time, if i vault i will forget i have ss to use as well if ss i will forget i have vault, so its like a wasted slot.

anyway, he uses nat legacies? i think i saw the video before, very classy
Reply Quote
add vault, but my brain cannot handle so many things all at one time, if i vault i will forget i have ss to use as well if ss i will forget i have vault, so its like a wasted slot.

anyway, he uses nat legacies? i think i saw the video before, very classy

Yep, legacy user.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 09:16 PMPosted by ThePwet

Dont get it wrong guys, manner is one of the top barbs.

Think this kinda sums it up, from his stream page:

I know a lot of you are curious what kind of gear setup I'm running on live realm, once 1.07 releases it'll be readily visible.

All I can tell you is, it's much better than my gear on PTR :)

I'm guessing he's just not in the best of gear during that clip. TBH I think a lot of the issues I have vs barb might be solved once we're playing on live. It seems a lot of people on PTR just have really absurd gear. I've seen so many trifecta legacy marks and stuff on PTR, and people with like 1300+LS+Socket EFs. I'm guessing maybe people just did a ton of transfers and shared top end gear, or maybe Asia servers have a lot more dupes then I'd expected, lol.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 07:50 PMPosted by ThePwet

I noticed in his vid the barb isn't using juggernaut to counter the stun from thrill of the hunt. Not saying the barb is bad but just doesn't seem like the life regen is high as the barbs I've fought.. So the answer is to obtain the best roll legacy nat set..? If you know a dh that can out duel the barbs I'm having trouble against have them add me in game.. rly only way to find out is by looking at the outcome.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 07:50 PMPosted by ThePwet
For the average and maybe some well geared barb this is true. But when I dueled with the few elite barbs, I say WF lacks the punching power to penetrate their uber defense. Hopefully bow will get some buff or we can develop a new strat against top tier barbs. Until then, WF has no shot with the heavyweight barbs on 1v1 just yet. For the rest of the class WF is doing fine.

I can't agree to your opposition of WF punching power. I'd say it is still strong.
WF is not about one or two shotting barbarians. It's about distance and having them permanently immobilized by the constant knock backs until they're shoved to the end of the wall. You say 'well geared barb' and I assume barbs being worth at least 6 billion?
Yes, they are not that hard to kill. They complained about WF being too 'op' and I feel great about Wind Force toying with their movement directions as well as high 'punching power.'
Wind Force has high defensive mechanism yet maintain a role of high dps.

The thing I don't understand is Bola stuns. Why the heck would you use bola stun and trap on barbarians? Wind Force will knock even before they land on spike traps ! More likely with Calamity and not Wind Force.
Edited by FrozenArrow#1722 on 1/29/2013 12:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]