Diablo® III

My thoughts of Diablo 3 Vs. Path of Exile.

first off i really hate the people in the global chat. bashing diablo 3 and these people just left the game to go over to path of exile because their bored of this game. i have played path of exile for two days and hit the wall really hard. the pvp in that game is almost exactly like the pvp in the ptr and gets boring fast and if your melee like me (templar lvl 31) you'd get owned by puss puss rangers and witches. theres no fun in that so then what esl we got? the gameplay in PoE. people complained about the act 3 farm and guess what? all you do in that game is EXACTLY THE SAME THING. you just go threw a area/instance reset it and then do the same thing you did in diablo 3 for act 3. the elite mobs don't even drop good stuff and doesn't always feel rewarding to kill them! i got more rare items from normal mobs then rare/elite packs. which i thought was kinda sad. another thing that bothered me was the currency and the no punishment for dying in the game (unless you played hardcore which their hardcore sucks vs diablos) getting up to level 31 i used one aoe skill about 90% of the time. other % was heavy strike and then my aura i had so 3 skills in 2 days i uses and just got boring and not fun. the only thing i thought was worth doing anything in the game was the talent tree but if you screw up too much GG new character time (just like diablo 2) the leveling i don't feel as rewarded in path of exile as i did in diablo getting skills i can actually use not just passive ones.

the other day i was watching kripp doing a2 final boss and he was in a full group playing hardcore and then they all had portals up and going in and out cheesing the hell out of the game. how is this fun? running in and out to get full pots and hp. GG there no challenge since you can cheese the hell out of the game and diablo you least can't do that make a town portal and go back and heal unless you get to a waypoint quick.

i tried to like path of exile but i just couldn't. i tried to talk to the community saying diablo isn't that bad just needs little more fixes here and there but i get bashed for it and these guys prob didn't even play this game to the fullest. yes there no pay to win but there will be in the future. prob not from the their website but there will be gold/item websites that will get items and then sell them so the game will be a PAY TO WIN game. idc what you say every game is a pay to win diablo 2 was diablo 3 any rpg is a pay to win in certain ways.

path of exiles isn't a bad game but its just like playing diablo in the but they got "pvp" ooo wow this game will have it soon maybe and guess what the talent tree will be only thing they will have.

btw the skill gems i had half a stash full of them and most of them are just horrible. i might just be a diablo fan boy and grew up with diablo 1 but im sorry this game just almost the same with the end game play which made me think about it and just didn't wanna continue with it.

i do respect GGG launch for the open beta i will give them that the servers did crash often but not a lot and was playable most of the time.

to me diablo 3 and path of exile close to the same game. what they both have in common is end game is just gonna be endless grind of act 3 in diablo or in path of exile a instance you just reset over and over again.

their both not bad games but people need to stop thinking and saying omg path of exile is better. no it isn't its equal in the end.

-sloth.
Reply Quote
Path of Exile if for hardcore players You played POE for 2 days... come on. Diablo 3 is a very fun game, but POE has the depth that Hack n Slash game requires.

I enjoyed Diablo 3 very much, but is not a game to play for years.
I ve played POE for 3 months and i can tell i didnt even get to learn the whole game mechanics. Its not a game for all players... it requires a lot of theorycrafting and learning.

There are 2 different games...

POE: Hardcore
D3 : Softcore
Reply Quote
1 turn off global chat. (it's annoying regardless of bashing or praising or anything and is in the way)
2 play the game.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/26/2013 12:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
@kardisz i did turn off the general chat after awhile just got sick of trolls crying at how they think diablo 3 was bad

@rhaovian so how is poe more hardcore then diablo 3? please enlighten me. i didn't even found it that challenging when i could just cheese the game so easy with portals. and just boost levels with people like most of the top leader players are doing.
Reply Quote
Sloth, I know that D3 is a good game.

Maybe you dont like POE and is a respectable opinion, but i just suggest you give it a try, and play through all difficulties. You will find the game is so challenging that making a build that even works in Merciless is a success.

Just try it, trust me.

And again, D3 is good, give a try to POE.
Reply Quote
Sloth, I know that D3 is a good game.

Maybe you dont like POE and is a respectable opinion, but i just suggest you give it a try, and play through all difficulties. You will find the game is so challenging that making a build that even works in Merciless is a success.

Just try it, trust me.

And again, D3 is good, give a try to POE.

i tried man i really tried. there were times i just had to get up and walk away from my laptop just because this game is just so boring and just pissed me off on what people are saying and the reviews it has gotten and bashing diablo. im sorry i just can't sit there and play it anymore i tried to much of the customization in the game and just went back to the same one skill bashing over and over again and never seeing anything for 28 levels better then that one skill gem.

ill just stick with little bit of here and there d3 and starcraft 2.
Reply Quote
@Sloth
Play the game equivalent amoutn of hours vs. d3 or even half the amount then make a call zz.
If graphics was the pinpoint of your excitement then d3 clearly sucks in that area and you should be playing blade & soul KR or hawken or something or tera or c9 or vindictus who knows. FF14ARR idk other than that for gameplay really, if you haven't beaten the game in 8 hours like d3 then that's a very inexperienced opinion.

My reaction upon beating d3 first time (took 9.5 hours) -> Really that's it? -_- that was so linear and boring. maybe nightmare might be better.

PoE 4 hours in still in act 1 dont know if im near the end yet of act1 heard there's 3 acts, could go to different places, not just be drafted into 1 path. Seems pretty fun.

Just my opinion.
I'm just happy the game isn't run on main stat + vit, such a pointless system.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/26/2013 12:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
@kradisz
in 7 hours after launch i was half way done act 2 and was getting threw the game fast its not the graphics i really like the graphics and reminded me of diablo 2 even though in my opinion diablo 2 graphics and monsters made me feel at home with the mid-evil scene. i had fun for the first act then when i hit act 3 i just thought to me myself this game just gonna end up like diablo 3 just gonna be endless grind in certain areas and how is this gonna change my mind on playing this game when i put hours into this game.
Reply Quote
@kradisz
in 7 hours after launch i was half way done act 2 and was getting threw the game fast its not the graphics i really like the graphics and reminded me of diablo 2 even though in my opinion diablo 2 graphics and monsters made me feel at home with the mid-evil scene. i had fun for the first act then when i hit act 3 i just thought to me myself this game just gonna end up like diablo 3 just gonna be endless grind in certain areas and how is this gonna change my mind on playing this game when i put hours into this game.

At least you didn't blow 60$ to get there.
D2's graphics are 2D, it's rather hard to get that detail in 3D with low budget. D3 on the otherhand, no comment. The fact that light radius was removed from d3 made it less of that dark-theme regardless of how many say it was annoying or stupid.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/26/2013 12:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
@kradisz

D2's graphics are 2D, it's rather hard to get that detail in 3D with low budget. D3 on the otherhand, no comment. The fact that light radius was removed from d3 made it less of that dark-theme regardless of how many say it was annoying or stupid.

i agree 100% with your last statement the lighting gave the npc a surprise attack on whats gonna be out there and the dark evil alone feeling you got playing. if you enjoy the game awesome! i just liked diablo 3 more like i said due to the fact its just gonna feel the same with the endless grindfest of the end game. imo diablo 3 had a ladder system it would boost prob some of the games community to complete to be top, but to me the characters in diablo 3 feel better and look better then path of exile even though its a indie game and didn't get as much as money diablo did, but if you watch the first look in diablo 3 and saw that and if that was actually released this game would totally be different on how people look at it. in that video the barb got his head bit off and i was like DUDE dah hell just happened!
Reply Quote

i agree 100% with your last statement the lighting gave the npc a surprise attack on whats gonna be out there and the dark evil alone feeling you got playing. if you enjoy the game awesome! i just liked diablo 3 more like i said due to the fact its just gonna feel the same with the endless grindfest of the end game. imo diablo 3 had a ladder system it would boost prob some of the games community to complete to be top, but to me the characters in diablo 3 feel better and look better then path of exile even though its a indie game and didn't get as much as money diablo did, but if you watch the first look in diablo 3 and saw that and if that was actually released this game would totally be different on how people look at it. in that video the barb got his head bit off and i was like DUDE dah hell just happened!

that was a scripted event, and trashed idea in terms of siege breaker spawning more mobs on death and chewing that barb head off. no idea why, in fact what poe has with their skill gems levelling and such is waht d3 was going to do with their runes being droppable and upgradeable in that sense, scrapped and poe took it, copying it now would just make diablo3 look like a sore loser. not to mention PoE's complexity in terms of support gems seem amazingly greater than diablo 3 in every aspect.

Diablo3 is supremely simple, it caters to casuals literally, to disagree you'd have to do some inspection yourself. It doesn't take a genius or a monkey of more than 10 hours to figure out D3 is all about main stat + vit and a certain set of attributes that you seek on every gear. D3 was also designed with END GAME in mind, so that means the first 3 difficulties are literally tutorials, inferno is where it begins. playing through the game 3x through to get to the ACTUAL game out of tutorial is pretty bad, it's why lifesteal is such a low 2% or 2.5 or 3% because that's the "endgame" result in mind where your'e hitting well over 200k dps or something. not to mention all the hidden modifiers in inferno as well and doesn't reflect the actual value where lifesteal is like 1/4 of it's actual displayed value is pretty piss poor execution on a game where you want people to RPG. Sure it's displayed on the manual or website but who reads that really? I can guarantee most just pop the disc in install and play as fast as possible.

Diablo 3 had WoW to fund it everything it could have. d3 may look and feel better but what wouldn't if you didnt have an IV tube of gold flowing into your engine 24/7 from subscribers and the most successful p2p game on the market (yes i don't play WoW but i'll agree it's the most successful p2p) not to mention the same team takes over diablo 3 as well and flops it, leaves a raging community full of disappointment and the game director leaves, i feel pretty bad for whoever's taking his place, to revamp anything in d3 right now would piss off anyone who's used the RMAH or is trying to make something off of it. account for all the bots online farming drops, you basically get dirt at every chance.

it's a lose-lose situation. it already made all my friends leave d3 abruptly after the first few nerf patches coming in. not to mention that your drops are affected by the AH as well and has been confirmed by CMs and officials. So taht means your 4 player game is vastly affected by the 10 million other users that bought the game who might be online. might even be the reason why drops are so poor in d3.

i played d3 closed beta, no idea what the heck they're thinking at release because i played 2 different games and was sorely insulted & disappointed from the release product vs. what i played during d3 beta.

diablo3 is an okkkayy game, if it wasn't named Diablo. That is all. By association name of Diablo it really is lacking.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/26/2013 5:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Pretty long thoughts on something very simple.

A D&D based game is basically a "dungeon crawl" as we use to call it, or hack and slash now.
Think about ALL the different games that came out. The end game af ALL of them has been the SAME for quite some time!

So really all you are doing when you play a different D&D based game is buying what their Devs dream up to try to make the game as enjoyable as they can. And each and every one is trying to take feedback from a dis-com-bob-ulated community that has differing views of what they want to see in a game. Look at how many MODS came out for D2...because people still were not happy with what Bliz put there...they wanted more...and more...and more...

edit; yes I played PoE for a little bit. Beyond the inventory and stash being (for lack of a better term) very D2 (hmmm, also very D1 or even Baulders Gate...remember that one...)
The skill tree is far removed from anything I've seen. I could see how it could be a long time b4 you realized you pooched your toon....
Edited by RutRoh#1729 on 1/26/2013 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
POE system is lot better than the repetitve D3. The difference is D3 is PAY TO WIN, many time I saw a kid with less than 100hrs playing time wearing 3 billion items steamroll through map.

POE has a level and ladder system that make pay to win impossible, you need to grind it up --> play to win. As you move up the level, you need to constantly upgrade your items, there is no such thing called endgame item in POE.

And some of the details in the game design is way better. For example. dmg reduction formula is like armor/(armor+incoming dmg), so the biggest the hit, the less the dmg reduction, in D3, a well equiped barb can have 99% dmg reduction which in my opinion, dev in D3 didnt do game design from their heart, they just looks for way to scam people.

My advice is D3 need to shut their AH -- to much emphasis on pay to win is a big turn off. and get a ladder system, not a Plvl crap that people reached 100 in a week.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 11:11 PMPosted by XFasX
there is no such thing called endgame item in POE.

uh yeah there is, 6 linked socketed item. gamechanger once you hit 5L+.

then you roll transmute a billion times on your item until you get a maxed stat, regal it and then reroll im until you have 2-3 max stats on it with chaos orbs or divines,
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 3/19/2013 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
More power to the people that enjoy playing PoE. When I tried it, it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe down the road, after a few more big patches I'll try it again.
Reply Quote
POE is free so it doesnt matter if its good or bad, u dont lose anything by playing or not playing
Reply Quote
Eh ... Depending on who reads this, I might get flamed pretty hard but ... I really enjoy both games.

I'm really digging PoE as it satisfies many of my needs as a HC player.

It is complex. The passive tree is only the beginning of the complexity -- crafting, gems, builds, linking items, maps.

As I explained to my non-gamer wife, she could pick up D3 and in an hour have a pretty good handle on the game. PoE is completely inaccessible to her (or casual gamers).

It is difficult. As a HC player, this is what I crave. I got my first HC in D3 to 60 without issue and then died due to hubris; my second is alive and well, and damn near unkilliable.

I never feel safe in PoE -- for some this is a huge turnoff -- for me, I love the anxiety and tension of exploring a new area for the first time. There is no face-rolling in PoE.

Currency. Free from Gold at last! I love D3 and how easy it is to acquire great gear. But ... I hate the fact that the only way I can get that gear is by buying it on the AH -- it limits me to farming items to sell for gold.

In PoE, currency can be used to craft awesome gear, or trade it to get items. I'm no longer stuck praying for RNG to grant me an awesome drop -- I gain a measure of control over my character's destiny.

Leagues and Races. 1 hour, 3 hour, 1 week races are incredibly fun. This is the one feature that would 100% get me playing D3 again --hell, I'd do every race I could and probably not even farm with my main.

It's a ton of fun to try and get to that number 1 spot -- or even to beat a personal best. On top of that, offers a nice break from farming on your main.

Last note. I read somewhere here that PoE = HC community, and D3 = SC community -- I have to agree. I've met a good number of people in PoE, and every single one was a HC D2 player or HC D3 player.

Okay, last note -- I know people get bogged down in the PoE vs D3 debate -- but it's a really awesome time for ARPG gamers. Lots of great games on the market. This is fostering some competition and with that comes improvements to the genre as a whole.

Cheers,

aM
Reply Quote
IM positive you just criticized others saying they probably didn't play d 3 to the fullest. yet you try to make a comparison to a game that you played 2 percent of. it doesn't make sense. So is your justification of a simple game. Obviously you do not know how the drops system work. d2 wasn't pay to win. sure you could, but where do you think all these items came from? the drop system in d2 made it so any any good player could be a item seller. My friend you obviously aren't being objective or pragmatic, and your obviously not doing the math.
Reply Quote
well, lets see

how many people and budget BLIZZ had to make diablo 3
how many people and budget GGG had to make diablo 3

money-wise and time-wise POE and TL2 wins by a HUGE margin
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]