Diablo® III

hardware problem?

I'm having huge problems playing the game. The fps, with a group of monsters, drops down to 5-10 (group play-impossible). I tried everything blizz recommends in "support" but it got me nowhere, tried everything I could find on forums (disable trilinear filtering...). I also tried every combination of graphics, putting it down to 800X600, and IT WAS THE SAME fps drop/stuttering as on native 1440X900.
What I'm trying to say is that I don't get any changes no matter what I do. I should be seeing some changes to gamplay with everything low/off and 800x600 res, right?
So, my question is:
1. is it a problem with the game
2. is it a problem with my computer, and I need to make some hardware changes (which?)
3. would boot camp solve my problems (windows extremely expensive)

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who might have some insight and help solve my problem. Thank you
Here are my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63b)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: MacOSX
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Your laptop has two sets of chipsets available, and may be inadvertantly switching between the two due to either estimated battery life, energy saver settings, or your graphics switching setting.

For your Energy Saver settings, you should have at most either "Put hard drives to sleep" or "Put display to sleep" activated, but not both. You should also never use the Sleep option in the Finder's menu or by using the keyboard combination CMD-OPT-F12, as the puts the system completely to sleep. There is a known bug in both Liion and Mountain Lion where OpenGL performance takes a nosedive after sleep has been used at any point. The only way to fix this is to reboot, or switch to a different resolution and then switch back to the resolution you want before launching any games.

As for graphics switching, you want to set it to always use the nVidia 320M discrete GPU. The instructions are in the article linked below:

MacBook Pro Graphics Switching (Late 2010 and Later):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110

Try these settings and see if it helps resolve your issue.

Reply Quote
I appreciate the suggestion, but it's not it, I'm a "veteran" in trying to make diablo 3 work on mac.
In the end I had to succumb to installing windows 7 on boot camp, and it's like I bought a new computer! Max res (1440x900), high everything (including shadows) and stable 30-50 fps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]