Diablo® III

Dex/Dodge and SNS

So I found this obscene pair of nats boots on the AH about a week back 1d10h. Jumped all over them and didn't look back thinking when I hit p88 and didn't need topaz in helm anymore I'd have way too much life and could switch vit to dex on boots.

They've been sitting in my stash all week, but today I decided to give them a shot on some runs.

I lost 4158 life, going from 45k to just under 41k. I gained 3.5 AR, 2 armour and 1.96% dodge.

End result was a huge 'EHP+dodge' loss on paper.

The in game result was a HUGE increase in surviveability. I am now absolutely convinced (I was somewhat certain previously) that after enough life for molten bombs and fanatics in MP10 to not one shot your or critically red screen you, dex is > vit or str. Assuming ofc you haven't raeched clear to 1000 dex yet.

I'm absolutely going to be looking for an upgrade to my WH that has dex/int instead of str/int as its third affix now.

Opinions? Am I making a mistake cause dex doesn't effect RD?
Edited by Shandlar#1961 on 1/28/2013 12:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
Want me to find my links to the old theory crafting in WOW about dodge vs vit vs EHP?

Goes something like this: You want enough EHP,Vit to survive the biggest hit possible, once you reach that stage you want to stack Dodge, Block and Shield Rating~

Luckily this is a different game but like most games, there pretty much the same with mechanics.

To be honest, get more dps. Your wasting stats on mitigation when its not needed.
Edited by Aphraell#1269 on 1/28/2013 12:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
unless your dodge percentage is in the 40-45, prioritizing dex sounds risky
Reply Quote
Nice rolls on them boots.

I'm not 100% sold on the notion that the extra 2% dodge can offset that much vita. Esp when your at plvl 100, and AME in helm you'll be over 50k HP. Your ability to tank and survive would be outrageous.

100+ Dex on WH would be outrageously expensive as well.

But I'd add that dex is overlooked a lot, the stat comes in handy against all the affixes ... except RD which is the most troublesome...
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 12:01 AMPosted by Aphraell
To be honest, get more dps. Your wasting stats on mitigation when its not needed.

I'm happy where I'm at. The boots were a dps gain (max int roll, +15). Marq gems and paragon will already get me past 235k. I see no need to rush into anything.

01/28/2013 12:06 AMPosted by Boozor
100+ Dex on WH would be outrageously expensive as well.

Charl paid 3x for his int/vit WH than I paid for my amulet. Price of a dex/int, armour, AR rolled WH will most certainly be less than an int/vit version with the same rolls.

I suspect as long as I avoid dex/vit, I should be able to find one eventually for less than 2b. That's all I want.

01/28/2013 12:04 AMPosted by pichapiegal
unless your dodge percentage is in the 40-45, prioritizing dex sounds risky

Well 30% is the absolute highest possible for a wizard. Anything past 1000 dex would be stupid, I'm not advocating anything of the sort.

I also would never get dex instead of str on vile ward for my second roll. Str rolls to 200, so its obviously the best choice there after int/vit. What I'm considering is looking for a WH with 100dex/int, AR, Armour as three rolls instead of Dex/Str.

I would also consider dropping the low armour roll on lacuni for dex/int. Something like that would be like 5b though.
Edited by Shandlar#1961 on 1/28/2013 12:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Go Dex gems lol!~
Reply Quote
This is super cereal here guys.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 12:06 AMPosted by Boozor
But I'd add that dex is overlooked a lot, the stat comes in handy against all the affixes ... except RD which is the most troublesome...

I have to agree with Boozer here. If it wasn't for RD I could drop even more EHP/LOH. I already have 22% Dodge which doesn't do !@#$ for RD. Getting more would only help my mitigation more from mobs and DPS affixes which arent really an issue.
Reply Quote
Hah, i have 731 dex. ( Unintentional of course )

I also have 937 strg (FLEX!!)
Reply Quote
Kieble's gonna shut u down. I'm personally with u brudda and have u to thank for tuning me onto dodge a long time ago. Sh1ts imba. Seems way over started chance too. Now I know why all my friends are playing monkeys.
Reply Quote
I agree that after you have enough pre-dodge EHP to survive biggest hit, Dodge becomes very valuable, 0% damage taken is awesome. However, you already have huge EHP and DPS, so Dex becomes the biggest upgrade for you. Many people are struggling just to reach a decent EHP number, so focusing on Dodge is out of the equation for the majority. Luckily, we all use nats, so most CM have pretty high Dodge chance (by Wiz standard) as a result. More dodge = more win, that's a fact.

Some like me, on the other hand, have enough EHP to survive most things, but then I still can't focus on dodge, because I have to increase my DPS first. I trade 200 Dex from nats for 250 Intel from Zuni, and gain a huge DPS boost. If I have like 200k DPS, no way I will do that.

So imo, EHP>DPS>Dodge. It's nice to have, but there are higher priorities.
Reply Quote
I've tried going full dodge buffed (65% dodge) on monk, its not that impressive actually..

If its me, i'll choose vit, at least it help me last longer on every occasion..

BTW i just realized that i have 600 dex lol wheres those come from..
Reply Quote
Most CM Wiz use Nats, that's why our Dex is so good lol

And that's why it's quite easy to reach 500k EHP post-dodge. After I drop Dex, 500k seems to be too much.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 12:39 AMPosted by Aimless
Kieble's gonna shut u down.

It's not that i'm against grabbing dex to the breaking points once you have enough mitigation. It's just threads like these make people with 200k EHP think they should start stacking Dodge instead of Vit / Armor because they read that it's good. That gets this thinking that 200k EHP without dodge, but 400k EHP with Dodge is amazing, when really it's terrible and you won't be able to do MP5.

If you have 400k EHP without dodge, i agree grabbing some dodge is just going to help cause you can pretty much live through a shot of anything. It's just stacking dodge at non-huge EHP levels is a huge waste and very misleading.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]