Diablo® III

Any non serenity users?

I have been trying out ditching serenity to current build, just wanted some insight opinions on improving it if at all possible, I feel as if I dont really need the immortality for 4 seconds and to replace it with BW for more dps, any similar monks running the same build or better? If so id love to talk about improving it ect.
Reply Quote
I only use serenity as a crutch (e.g. standing in fire, eating freeze, etc.), but it is too nice to me to drop. Not sure there is a skill valuable enough to justify dropping it. If was going to do it, would pick up DR/Foresight like you have.

Part of the problem is that Overawe is the best spirit sink; if that changes in next patch, would probably drop serenity before anything else.
Edited by Vagoo#1227 on 1/26/2013 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
I use Serenity for ubers but drop it for Mystic Ally otherwise. (Fire Ally specifically)
Reply Quote
View profile
i don't use it very often. i drop it for sss - which i use not only offensively, but it sort of works like a serenity too if you time it right.
Reply Quote
Interesting, I havent even thought about trying the mystic allies, which one is most beneficial? I assume fire since your choice is fire, but I havent had the chance to try that out yet, def something im going to try out!
Reply Quote
I use Serenity because I want to live.
And this too, since SSS makes you invulnerable during the time it procs:

01/26/2013 05:14 PMPosted by MrMojoRisin
i don't use it very often. i drop it for sss - which i use not only offensively, but it sort of works like a serenity too if you time it right.

Lab.
Reply Quote
I don't use it but i'm only TR'ing atm and haven't really explored anything above mp8.

edit: SSS usally get me through any problem moments.
Edited by Kojin#1561 on 1/26/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
I use Serenity because I want to live.
And this too, since SSS makes you invulnerable during the time it procs:

Lab.

Maybe it keeps you alive, but it seems like I cant tank just about everything with my LS alone, and the dps gain is dramatic from dropping it, I can either use serenity and ditch blazing wrath (since combo strike with foresight gives more dps than it does) which gives me 219k dps, OR drop serenity for blazing wrath to get a whopping 246k dps, thats huge in my personal opinion, im doing so much damage that I can face tank most E groups without losing a drop of life. Now sure sometimes RD/Molten groups can be a pain at times but they are getting nerfed anyways. I dont have charts or %'s to show anything or much elaborate testing has went into my build, but as far as I know ditching serenity for blazing wrath has given me roughly 27k more dps. Now I understand if you dont have the resistance/armor/life pool/loh or LS to make up the loss of being immortal but in my case I cant see it being any better.

One thing I have noticed is Blazing Fists. This skill doesnt give AS much paper dps as foresight but you attack 15% faster, now here is a poor example.

Lets say you have 100k dps with foresight and 90k with Blazing Fists, my concern is that even at 90k dps it still MAY be possible to get better results since your attacking much faster, in my opinion faster attacks means more chances to crit which means more cyclone spawns, does anyone else see it my way or no? Im really curious as to perfecting a massive dps build with just as much survival. Need some GG monk input!
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Vindemiatrix
Interesting, I havent even thought about trying the mystic allies, which one is most beneficial? I assume fire since your choice is fire, but I havent had the chance to try that out yet, def something im going to try out!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7392649912
:D
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 06:09 PMPosted by Sinafae

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7392649912
:D

Is an interesting idea, but I honestly dont want to spam an ally to suck my spirit away from me when id be spamming overawe as well, seems like I would run dry and not effectively spam overawe anymore, ill test it out and come to my personal conclusion, but on the lazy side of things BW will win in that department and spirt wise, but ill crunch some numbers and get back to that, I still want to believe that my swap from serenity to BW will beat this fire ally ordeal just for the fact of simplicity to my already semi complicated build. but I guess we shall find out
Reply Quote
@Vindemiatrix: Blazing Fists is +0.15 APS, not +15% IAS. Just an FYI.
Reply Quote
In my little experience of having Mystic Ally, I rarely remember it dieing. You won't have to spam it as much as you think. :3
Reply Quote
@vindemiatrix
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I play hc :)
That's a very nice monk you got there.

Lab.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Teckno
In my little experience of having Mystic Ally, I rarely remember it dieing. You won't have to spam it as much as you think. :3

Spamming it is the entire point of its use.. derp. thats where the dps from the fire ally comes into play by spamming it for its special ability

And yeah sorry I didnt mean % lulz my bad :)

@Spiff
Thanks man! And yeah HC is a whole different ballgame lol, you die its over, that would mean serenity 100% of the time no questions asked about swapping haha.

Anyone have any other takes on my setup?
Reply Quote
Oh sorry. I just like the company of the Fire Spirit, it also looks pretty bad !@#. I would rather spam spirit on other things with my spirit. I would feel bad murdering him over and over again too. :/
Reply Quote
Your setup is basically the most dps oriented setup you can get atm. That's my take on it.

If your not dieing than it looks good to me.
Reply Quote
View profile
No Serenity for me either. Once in a while I'll use it on mp10 for ubers if I'm tired or something. But usually I use Fire Ally, The Flesh is Weak, or BW/FitL (whichever I'm also not already using) in its place.

I generally play with other monks though (so Overawe is usually already covered) so in Fire Ally's case, it frees me up to spam it since I'm usually running Time of Need (to maintain Guiding Light) and MoH spam isn't anywhere as necessary as Overawe. Although I still try to use it as much as possible for the slight mitigation increase it provides.

Of the choices, I also tend to prefer the added crowd control (via adding an additional target for mobs) Fire Ally brings, compared to the other options. But the total group dps is not even close. The Flesh is Weak wins that in a landslide if your group mates are competently geared. And if you're doing ubers or key farming, the explosion damage from EP is REALLY nice for cutting down pack kill times.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 1/26/2013 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your setup is basically the most dps oriented setup you can get atm. That's my take on it.

If your not dieing than it looks good to me.

Thanks man! I cant find anything to top it, guess im sticking to it :) its awesome seeing such high output and not having to use Serenity <3 I peak around 450k ish when blind is up and maintain a constant 256k dps in current setup
Reply Quote
I can't remember if we were talking about this in another thread but I don't use serenity right now. Surely there's situations where it's handy and if you're doing HC or maybe pvp or higher MP. I have a comfort farming MP4 so I know for the most part how I can handle the situation and serenity just gets wasted since I rarely use it. I decided to replace it with SW...so now I have that and LTK for dpsing along with my primary attack. Love the way I can mow down mobs with the extra SW dmg and healing...while basically just giving up an "Oh snap" button.

I might die very rarely to a bad affix or because of something stupid I do but for what I'm doing 99% of the time it's not needed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]