Diablo® III

Looking for strong monks to duel

Please add me sheldor#1759 on ptr if you are into dueling. I am looking for strong opponents whether that be really strong gear, lots of practice, or both.

I am still trying to finalize my build for dueling each class, as well as continue to upgrade gear for pvp. Please no bad manner. Not looking for trash talking, bragging rights, etc.
Edited by Sheldor#1759 on 1/26/2013 10:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
You can add me if you want. I duel periodically but spend a lot of time on the real server too. I should do more duelling.
Reply Quote
Nice setup Sheldor. 22% to WoL is gonna hurt people.

With that being said, you got your work cut out for you versus PH!
Reply Quote
Oh boy, more dueling. Scrapz should be all over this.
Reply Quote
Great WoL bonuses Sheldor but I think youre limiting your damage with a 1 hander. Have you tried that setup with a 1400 + Skorn by chance? I mess around on the PTR from time to time and have had the best success with 2H, based on pure weapons DPS.

Ive also found that LoH and LS dont matter that much, really. It often comes down to the "he who strikes first, wins" scenario" and with 22% to WoL you could have some great results.
Reply Quote
^ Agree 100%. I use a Skorn and have a similar Mara's and SOJ with high SR and hold my own pretty well against high level toons. 70% CC to WOL usually means I crit almost everytime I cast it.
Edited by BladeSyphon#1157 on 1/27/2013 8:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hm... just duelled him. I think this build shows promise but needs to be a bit more optimized.

I may incorporate some aspects of it as part of another setup. Pretty much the strategy was to tempest run while waiting for serenity cooldown and then engage. Because of the huge variance in crit damage, you're waiting for the 1 shot. That's big inconsistency.

There are a few issues that i saw with this strategy:
    1. Dashing strike closes the gap wayyyy more efficiently than the tempest running.
    2. By purposely finding pieces with WoL affixes and spirit affixes the DPS and EHP is severely limited.
    3. You can see when the engagement is about to occur, so another monk, will also push serenity. The engagement becomes a push.

I'll play around with the build and see if parts of it flow well with my usuals. Thanks for the duels Sheldor. It was fun.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/27/2013 8:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hm... just duelled him. I think this build shows promise but needs to be a bit more optimized.

I may incorporate some aspects of it as part of another setup. Pretty much the strategy was to tempest run while waiting for serenity cooldown and then engage. Because of the huge variance in crit damage, you're waiting for the 1 shot. That's big inconsistency.

There are a few issues that i saw with this strategy:
    1. Dashing strike closes the gap wayyyy more efficiently than the tempest running.
    2. By purposely finding pieces with WoL affixes and spirit affixes the DPS and EHP is severely limited.
    3. You can see when the engagement is about to occur, so another monk, will also push serenity. The engagement becomes a push.

I'll play around with the build and see if parts of it flow well with my usuals. Thanks for the duels Sheldor. It was fun.

That's solid feedback Pudding, specifically in the area of Dashing Strike. Ive also found that the 'Flying Sidekick' Rune works very well when it comes to stunning an opponent. Once you have the advantage, a Bell or two followed by SSS generally takes care of most opponents.
Reply Quote
Dashing stike is way better than TR imo. Ive tried both extensively and DS is less spirit demanding and lets you spam bells and hit SSS when needed. Battling other monks its all about timing. I use the passive to give me 250 spirit pool and have alot of regen.

I usually throw a few bells out as they approach which sometimes 1 shots them, hit blinding flash to stun then SSS. If that doesnt kill I hit serenity immediately and then start spamming bells, usually does the job. This works because most often they will hit serenity immediately as I throw out bells so it leaves them open for BF/SSS.

If I die its usually from a distance with SSS before I can hit serentity. Kind of the same way DH's use impale.
Edited by BladeSyphon#1157 on 1/27/2013 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for feedback.

No I have never tried a skorn. I am a big fan of dual wielding for all the bonuses. Many times I will dual wield, and having 4 spirit per second and 120 life per spirit spent just from your weapons is amazing in pvp. It helps survive haunts, rends, etc. Also, my damage with 1 handers is sufficient for barbs, witch doctors, and wizards. I have yet to find one of those classes that can survive 2 wall of lights in a row with 30% faith in the light, 48% overawe, 30% bonus to players, and a 70% chance to crit wave of light. I have had several high paragon people leave the game and accuse me of abusing a bug when they see my paper DPS is below 100k and they get 1 shotted, lol.

I have noticed I have the most trouble with monks and DHs and it is because of all the dodges. It makes bursting with wave of light very unpredictable. (plus serenity and smoke screen of course)

I do sacrifice a lot for spirit regen, but for better or worse I'm sticking with it. Tempest rush is a huge spirit drain, but it is great for getting away from things like serenity and wotb. Slipstream works well when haunted, rended, etc. I agree dashing strike is the best closer. However, nothing beats getting away like tempest rush. My ultimate goal is to be a strong kiting monk with really high spirit regen, life per second, and enough defenses and offense to get the job done.

Thanks for the duels pudding. I enjoy top end players, and hope to continue learning from them.
Edited by Sheldor#1759 on 1/27/2013 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Tempest rush may be good at running but you have to put yourself in your opponent's shoes. Against a monk, dashing strike closes the distance essentially nullifying your tempest rush. Against a WD and DH, they don't need to chase as they are range and just keep shooting. Against a barb... especially good rend and runners, they will out kite you and at worst, they'll bring the engagement to a push due to their high regen.

Using high lpss for health regen while tempest rushing is a nice concept. However, it may be better spent chasing than running.

Just my 2c
Reply Quote
If Tempest Rushing isn't working out, and as Pudding said, there are easy ways to close the gap. I got some ideas for alternatives.

1) Lashing Tail Kick - Sweeping Armada and Scorpion Sting (Both Runes look good)
2) Inner Sanctuary - Consecration (The one increasing duration to 7 secs instead of 5)
3) Mystic Ally - Earth Ally (Taunt may be helpful? Probably not, XD)

Just random thoughts, never tested any of these skills in pvp. ^_^

I know most of these are either sub par or totally useless to the range classes, but Shelder was talking about dueling other Monks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]