Diablo® III

[GUIDE] TianZi's Guide to Strafe:Demolition

Been slowly fine tuning my strafe build.
+Increasing Pick Up radius: Now +48
+Increasing Magic Find: Now at 300 with or with out Templar
+Finding a 1400 Black Damage Weapon with no iAS (It has life steal.. does not really seem to effect anything, but nice bonus)
-Decreasing iAS as much as possible. This includes my DMS. (Currently down to 1.30 aps)

I am probably going to move some gear around to just increase my All Resist even though survivability is not an issue at all on MP0. Just preparing for 1.07 in upping the MP level to maybe 2.

One thing that I am still torn on and would like feedback from my fellow Strafe Dhs.

Leorics Signet, Stone of Jordan, or Rare Ring.

I have tried all of them and they do not really seem to alter anything. Has anyone been able to optimize one over the other? If yes... how?

Right now I am liking Stone of Jordan w/Cold Damage with Cull of the Weak. Not sure if it is just the effect of doing different stuff for the sake of variety while paragon leveling hah.

Thanks
Edited by Neoshinji#1433 on 2/6/2013 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Does this build just not work on extremely small budgets? I tried to make this work on my budget of 5-6M but I couldn't quite get DPS to a manageable level. I'm just under the 400 AR and 40k HP but my DPS is only 59k. With such low DPS I cannot kill the mobs quick enough, especially elites, and I often die, destroying my speed.

I spent almost all my money and my barb still levels faster despite having a fraction of the gear. Should I just give up on my DH?

Barb is probably the best class to play at low budgets. I'd generally recommend atleast a 20m budget for strafe DH at low paragon levels since you really need about 80k DPS minimum (plus templar) for it to play out smoothly. If you still want to try playing StrafeDH you can add me in game, i think i still have some leftover gear from testing things that I can lend you to get your DPS up to 80k or so.

That's the thing, I like my barb OK, but when I saw your strafeDH video I was inspired to replicate a budget version of the same thing, just a little slower. After spending most of my money I came to the realization as to how this build's engine actually works. You need to kill things fast enough in order to get the health globes necessary to re-fuel and keep the engine going. Slowing your killing speed breaks the engine completely and leads to the hatred/disc starved problems I have. I would really like to give this build another try so I will take you up on your offer to borrow some of your old gear. Thanks
Edited by ELicious#1898 on 2/6/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
So after Tian replaced half my gear I'm now doing about 74k (+6% more strafe crit) DPS. This allows me to actually utilize this build effectively instead of being hatred/disc starved all the time. I've never had this much fun playing the DH. Thanks again Tian!

Moral of the story is, if you can't hit the DPS threshold of about 80k, this build will not work, since this build relies on kills rather than hitting a certain crit or attack speed like other builds. If you are not killing fast enough the engine will break down and you will move at a fraction of the speed, not just a little bit slower like I had hoped.

If you can't hit 80K DPS, then don't try it, like me, or you'll get frustrated when it doesn't work.
Reply Quote
@TianZi: solid guide props to you.

I'm on my way to plevel 100 as well, just picked up strafe from plevel 82 and I must say it helps me a lot in peveling. Not because the exp/hour is high but because the auto-target property of strafe.

When I picked up strafe, its a bit too late for me to overhaul my gear.
I use calamity + dml instead of manticore, so yeah hatred is obviously the main concern here (I was at 2.29 APS, now 2.45).

I, like others, feel that strafe is one of the most versatile build that DH has.
So instead of overhauling my gear, I decided to tune my skill set instead.

My build would only work if:
Calamity + DML + Templar + Bat for innate hatred regen to sustain the hatred as long as possible
At least 40 pool disc, 50+ is the optimal.
Use Vengeance + Night Stalker + Archery.
Has crit chance at least 50%
At least 90k DPS, once I got to as low as 84k DPS and the skill build still worked but not as smooth.
Well, at least 5 pick up radius I would say :D, and yeah I dont usually pick up all the health globe.

So my loop would be using punishment to refill the hatred and nightstalker + vengeance to fill the disc.
Shuriken cloud + hail of knives helps to clear mob and elites.
I suppose I can use suppression fire as a way to refill disc, but cant be bothered because it has to be aimed.

With an extra side button on the mouse, I bind all of the skills (except Bat) to the mouse.
Now I can play while reading manga using my left hand or watching film while waiting for the "ding" drop.
Just hold right click to cruise through mobs, using mwheel whenever it is needed.
I averaged 55mil exp/hour, which is not bad.

That's my two cents and another build for strafe: demolition
Reply Quote
What's a good route to take? I'm only getting about 35M XP/hour right now and I'd like to be around 50.
Reply Quote
thank you for the guide! i have been farming really smoothly with this build! thank you again TianZi
Reply Quote
Standard Alkaizer runs on mp0, or Raoha's run (Skycrown/TowerDamned1/Arreat2/Keeps2/Rakkis or the 3 zone one (Arreat 2, Keep2, rakkis. ) should net you good exp.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 04:38 PMPosted by ELicious
What's a good route to take? I'm only getting about 35M XP/hour right now and I'd like to be around 50.

I like the run i use in my videos (Core -> Tower 1 -> Rakkis -> Fields -> Arreat 2). My route is similar to Alkaizers but in a different order and Rakkis instead of Keeps 2. That was the highest consistent average exp/hour route for me. However, I also know many people don't like it, especially since i skip keep depths 2 in my exp runs.

I've had terrible results with Roaha's route, and slightly below average results with the 3map route. However many other people have had positive results on those routes, so it's probably at least worth a shot to see if they work well for you. I think Roaha tested his route playing multishot spec or something, so if you ever go MS that might be a good route. The 3map route was tested for TR monks, so maybe it's just not the best for DH.
Reply Quote
just to be different emberstrafe needs to be buffed
Reply Quote
Hi there,

I been trying this lately and its not working for me :(

I have 150k DPS with legacy nats, i use trail of cinders instead since i got disc regen, so vaulting lots is no problem. My problem is on MP0, I do one or two run throughs with strafe and I find a lot of monsters dont seem to die. I have to circle strafe around about 2 or 3 times before they all die. Even more for elites.

Overall, Im only getting about 55mil XP/hr when others seem to get 100m.

Any tips on how to play this better? Feel free to look at my gear for some idea of my specs (skills not set right atm but i copied your recommendation in the OP)
Reply Quote
I actually just changed to rocket storm after weeks of demolition. The longer range and accuracy just seems to work better for me and actually cut my run time down. I also tossed my primary and swapped gloom out for nightbane to make up for the loss of hatred regen. Some of you guys might want to give it a try.

02/09/2013 12:13 AMPosted by TianZi
I like the run i use in my videos (Core -> Tower 1 -> Rakkis -> Fields -> Arreat

How well does that work for farming essences? My run isn't very exp efficient (50ish exp/hour) but I hit up the areas with a lot of elites.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 04:12 AMPosted by Bankai
I have 150k DPS with legacy nats, i use trail of cinders instead since i got disc regen, so vaulting lots is no problem. My problem is on MP0, I do one or two run throughs with strafe and I find a lot of monsters dont seem to die. I have to circle strafe around about 2 or 3 times before they all die. Even more for elites.

A couple important things to watch out for:

1) Make sure you are strafing on top of the mobs, not 'circles' around them. You need to be on top of mobs to minimize wasted demo grenades.

2) You shouldn't really be trying to kill all the mobs, but rather like a ~90% clear of the mobs. Demo Strafe is most efficient when mobs are clumped up, so you throw your grenades at them and move on. Since DH has the highest mobility due to vault, it's less important to do clean clears then for other classes.

02/17/2013 10:26 AMPosted by ta11geese3
How well does that work for farming essences? My run isn't very exp efficient (50ish exp/hour) but I hit up the areas with a lot of elites.

I'd suggest doing shorter elite/goblin focused runs for essence farming. This was my route of choice for essence farming, though some other people preferred stuff like VoA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSzTyg4nAPg

Either way, you basically want a shorter run for essences since NV doesn't matter. If you want both essence and exp, you can do one of the routes like:

Core -> Tower 1 -> Battlements -> Arreat 2 -> Keeps 2
Reply Quote
1) Make sure you are strafing on top of the mobs, not 'circles' around them. You need to be on top of mobs to minimize wasted demo grenades.

Shuriken Cloud is awesome for getting into the habit of being on top of things with Demo. Once the habit is formed, one can keep it or switch to something else =)

--------

On a somewhat related note, I keep waffling on whether to use Shuriken or Dark Cloud with Drifting Shadow.

On the one hand, out of habit, I run directly through white packs of mobs that I probably don't need to, I could take a more direct path past them (making sure not to be too far from sufficient orb drops). On the other, Dark Cloud's damage seems a little spotty when moving at high speed. I probably should try to figure out which one has the most impact on elite packs, not that they live very long after FoK, anyway.

Or should I just say screw it, put Demo back up and move on to MP2? Using Drifting Shadow to murder the heck out of MP1 is just so much fun, though >.>
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 2/17/2013 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
I got myself a stone of jordan +% damage grenades +% damage poison, in addition get a nat cloak with strafe crit, make a good dps boost for cheap. SOJ 8 mil and Nat 1.5 mil! =)
Reply Quote
@Tianzi - thank you for your invaluable tips, looking forward to try again!

Btw what do you think is the minimum DPS required to do MP2 or MP4 strafe to maximise on the new XP bonus values??
Reply Quote
Does +grenade damage actually affect demolition?
Reply Quote
@Tianzi - thank you for your invaluable tips, looking forward to try again!

Btw what do you think is the minimum DPS required to do MP2 or MP4 strafe to maximise on the new XP bonus values??

I'm not really sure if/when higher MP would be worth doing using a strafe build. I suppose maybe MP1 may be faster then 0, but I can't see exp gains anymore since my DH is paragon100 ~_~

02/19/2013 06:14 PMPosted by Sanctum
Does +grenade damage actually affect demolition?

I'm pretty sure only the +strafe crit affix effects demolition, even though it's throwing grenades.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 01:05 AMPosted by TianZi
I'm pretty sure only the +strafe crit affix effects demolition, even though it's throwing grenades.

+1

I'm not really sure if/when higher MP would be worth doing using a strafe build. I suppose maybe MP1 may be faster then 0, but I can't see exp gains anymore since my DH is paragon100 ~_~

For strict XP and paragons my 2c is MP0 is still unbeatable for pure efficiency.
For leg drops, I think most people agree that still MP0 or MP1 is where they got their best drops, regardless of MF. I wouldn't know- my best drop so far was a rare ring I sold for 6mil (intel, 9%IAS, 6%CC). Anybody want Gladiator Gauntlets???

For not losing the will to live- I run MP2 cos my DPS allows it, and I care less about efficiency right now. I randomly do the keywarden, and I generally get a few demonic essences :)
Reply Quote
Does anyone know if the Benefit of casting Shuriken cloud under shadow power is still in effect after 1.07?
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Mifkin
Does anyone know if the Benefit of casting Shuriken cloud under shadow power is still in effect after 1.07?

it is, I use it to perma leech

it's just a bit over 1000/sec per target for every 100k dps
Edited by zoid#1554 on 2/25/2013 11:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]