Diablo® III

Please fix Rakkis Crossing..

I run an oc'd i5, 2 intel SSD's (1 os 1 games) GTX560.

I often get 5 to 30 seconds of heavy FPS lag right before the door to siege breaker. There's gotta be a gfx coding flaw somewhere around that specific area. After things "settle" its back to smooth as silk.

Rest of Rakkis is fine, sans the occasional audio glitch.
Reply Quote
harddisk speed is the largest speed upgrade you can do for any pc.

Dude, I build computers. That is among the stupidest statements I have ever heard.

Transfer speed is important, that's for sure. Maybe the pricing is decent enough now that it's a viable option for someone in particular's upgrade options. But it's not going to make your PC speed away if you don't have the processor to allow it to and the RAM to keep HDD access down and processor-RAM traffic moving quickly and in good quantities.

A 2-2.4 gHz system with Vista and 4 GB ram (like my old system) isn't going to run fast no matter what hard drive you have. Maybe that's the case here.

Also, D3 loads most of its data at start-up (and presumably during cinemas and act breaks.) If anyone is experiencing lag at other points, it's probably processor or RAM-based.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 1/27/2013 10:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
AMD3800 and integrated radeon 6550HD, 6 GB DDR3 no problems here.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Japhasca

Dude, I build computers. That is among the stupidest statements I have ever heard.

Transfer speed is important, that's for sure. Maybe the pricing is decent enough now that it's a viable option for someone in particular's upgrade options. But it's not going to make your PC speed away if you don't have the processor to allow it to and the RAM to keep HDD access down and processor-RAM traffic moving quickly and in good quantities.

A 2-2.4 gHz system with Vista and 4 GB ram (like my old system) isn't going to run fast no matter what hard drive you have. Maybe that's the case here.

Also, D3 loads most of its data at start-up (and presumably during cinemas and act breaks.) If anyone is experiencing lag at other points, it's probably processor or RAM-based.

maybe you are talking about low end where ram/gfx are so mediocre but in which case d3 wouldn't even let you run unless you change the d3prefs.txt.

d3 doesn't load ALL its data at startup, people are complaining about fps lag/stuttering when you enter rakkis crossing when they FIRST encounter a mob, and you start your cm wiz spam. thats when the load up starts.
eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzpC7L1RU

see a blue post acknowledging hard disk stutter lag on this as well.
http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/10/1/42/881/163478/hdd-major-stuttering-solved-not-micro-stutt

in anycase, it barely hurts for someone to simply copy the diablo folder into a 16gb thumbdrive and play the game from the thumbdrive and see where the bottleneck is.

--
also, fps drops from combat near fire particle effects have nothing to do with this. that would probably be a coding glitch probably, cos you don't drop from >120fps to 2fps per second normally.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/27/2013 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
I play D3 with an Alienware M17xR4 gaming laptop with a 3610 i7, GTX 680M, 8 Gb. of 1600 Mhz memory and a 7200 rpm HD, totally NO Lag. My 680M is OC'ed that's all. I have totally No lag on any map, highest graphics setting (V-sync ON, Highest Soft shadows, AA ON, 1080p), also incorporating NVIdia Control Panel's 32x CSAA or 16xQCSAA with High Quality Texture Filtering and it's always 60 FPS (60 Hz screen).. I even play BF3 Pure Ultra gfx setting, 1080p.

Driver maybe?
Reply Quote
lol it's not about the HDD. If it's not about the sound bitrate like some people are suggesting, then I'm sure it's with the GPU. Me and my brother have terrible lag at rakkis and at some parts in the craters. We both have the 6970. (I have two). We have the lag at the exact same time, and it also stops at the exact same time. :)

And we're both using SSD's. CPU differs but I use the i5-2500K @ 4.2GHz and 8GB 1600MHz RAM
Reply Quote
lol THIEF, "gaming" laptop with 60hz screen. Funny :P And no, don't try to make me believe that no one can notice higher framrates than 60.
Reply Quote
^ (0 Elite Kills) ???, lol, whatever..:-) NO lag here..
Edited by THIEF2004#1697 on 1/27/2013 11:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have D3 installed on my Intel SSD and have tried all the ghetto sound quality tricks suggested and Rakkis still runs like garbage since patch 1.0.5 for me.

i7 2600k
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 660ti

The game ran fine before 1.0.5 and I play plenty of other games with no issues (BF3, Bad Company 2, etc).

This game is bugged, plain and simple.
Reply Quote
change the sound to 32 and it should work fine. worked for me a long time ago.
Reply Quote
I love Rakkis Crossing due to its mob density and amount of Elites here, plus the caves with the Lacuni Elites. I just played it right now solo with my DH 10 mins. ago on MP3 at 264% MF, and MP0 at 300% MF capped, plus 75% after NV.

I don't understand why folks are lagging here. Does your FPS shows the decline? All I can share is maybe the GPU drivers. Hope you guys sort it out. I have a GTX 680M on an AlienWare M17xR4 gaming laptop and it runs flawless even on stock clocks on highest gfx setting w/ v-sync ON, 1080p. I'm running FRAPS too, 60 FPS constant. With just a 7200 rpm HDD.

Are you guys monitoring your GPU temps? Mine max at 71*C GPU temp. I have a Sound Blaster Recon3Di too.
Edited by THIEF2004#1697 on 1/28/2013 1:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
I run D3 off a SSD, with a i5, fast ram, and a 6950 easily capable of running D3 at max settings. I suffered massive framerate loss at the top of the stairs by the entrance to Siegebreaker almost every game.

What fixed it for me, in one step, was to run Diablo in full screen windowed mode. No slowdowns anymore. The only irritant is that if I alt-tab to check the internet or swap my pandora playlist, Diablo is sitting there in the background of my screen instead of my standard wallpaper desktop. But that's not really that bad.

Things I've heard people specifically explain as fixing the same problem:

-Running off an SSD instead of an old 5400rpm HD.
-Fixing sound card drivers or installing a legitimate sound card over onboard
-My fix, running in Windowed mode.

Good luck.
Reply Quote

Really ? I mean with the certainty with which you say this you almost sound like you believe yourself. Do not talk things you do not know about. You are definitely not upping opinions about yourself.
Not only here, but in life in general. Someday we may meet and you'll buy me a beer for that.
Reply Quote
same for me
it's the only place in the game that lags so badly
I'm usually at 100 fps, but it dips down to 10 fps in rakkis
it happened after some update also, it didn't used to happy in 1.0.4 I think
Reply Quote
Another thing you can try is dropping back to older video card drivers.

The 296 family worked best for me, and the 306's weren't bad. The 310 family is horrid on Rakkis though.

Kinda sad nVidia moved on from bugfixing for this game less than 6 months after it's release.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Judist
I often get 5 to 30 seconds of heavy FPS lag right before the door to siege breaker.
01/28/2013 01:06 AMPosted by Smackery
I suffered massive framerate loss at the top of the stairs by the entrance to Siegebreaker almost every game.
01/27/2013 09:22 PMPosted by chrisloup
(esp the right staircase next to the sb portal)

This.

It has to be a problem with the map; that's not even a high mob density area. At most you get one pack of elites, and often there's nothing. I get a full screen flicker up that exact staircase - alternating between the map and whatever's under the map - and I'm currently running i7, M4 SSD, 12GB RAM, and GTX670.
Edited by k0re#1747 on 1/28/2013 4:58 AM PST
Reply Quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791
there isn't any $115 upgrade you can do to your pc that will be as significant as a ssd.

furthermore, you can always bring the ssd to your new pc upgrade eventually as well.

run a game on a thumbdrive if you think otherwise and see for yourself, even if you think you have no lag right now. eg: from start of game , you way point to bridge of korsikk and compare with d3 on thumbdrive and on a harddisk.

literally, windows goes from cold startup to fully loaded in 7 seconds for me.

if you put games on an ssd and think that will make them perform better you are dumb. SSD is for installing windows and maybe steam onto, also SSD has a low write life, so any app that is writing to disk alot will be bad for it's lifetime
Reply Quote
Same problem with Rakkis here on samsung 700g7a i7, 16ram, 120 ssd, ati 6970M win 7 ccc 12.10 (from fixed 60fps with vsync drops to 10;//) - before it works better even on my ati 5650M i3 3gbram dell inspiron ;/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]