Diablo® III

Sold my first 100million item on Gold AH... this is BS

This is fake currency we're talking about here, gold that blizzard makes, not real money.
Overall, this is very discouraging & makes zero sense.

That's where your confusion may be... The whole monetary system is fake. Your money in your pocket is not real. It's fiat currency

He means "fake" in the sense of printed money, not in the sense of symbolic money.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Homunculus
It's fiat currency

It's also legal tender, which is a more valid term for your argument. Technically in-game gold is also fiat currency as it is doled out by Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Im going to go on a limb and say that the fee's are a convenience charge. Who's to say your item would have ever sold if the entire community couldn't see it on the AH rather than you spamming trade chat? I look at it as getting more people to view what you have to sell and gladly will take the 15% AH cut. My 2 cents anyways
Reply Quote
Why does blizzard charge 15% "tax" on the gold auction house? They don't make money, collecting the gold that they can create (it is there game afterall). They make money on the RMAH sales, so i understand the 15% charge... But charging 15% to sell on the gold AH? This is silly and there is no good reason for it. Even if i were to sell on the gold ah, and then sell gold on the rmah, i get hit 30% total. This is ridiculous.... Would love to see a blue respond to this in elaboration.

This is taken from their FAQ:
How is the transaction fee determined?
In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

This is not an explanation. It is just stating what WILL be done. How is DEDUCTING 15% from a gold sale, considered a transaction fee?
Transaction fee
A charge an intermediary, such as a broker-dealer or a bank, assesses for assisting in the sale or purchase of a security or money.

This is fake currency we're talking about here, gold that blizzard makes, not real money.

Somebody got sand in his vag.
Reply Quote
I think Blizzard should add a fee to post items, to force people to only post useful items.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Mist3rHyde
I think Blizzard should add a fee to post items, to force people to only post useful items.

one mans "Useful Item" is another mans junk.
Reply Quote
It's also there to make you think twice before selling crappy items.
Reply Quote
Just add on an extra 15% I guess.
Edited by bitterman#1939 on 2/3/2013 1:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/27/2013 04:15 PMPosted by Jauron
It's an attempt to slow down flipping, didn't work.

of corse it worked. if there was 0% GAH tax, everything would get flipped and people would have 10 accounts just for extra auction slots cause it would be worth it.

Theres always gunna be flipping, but putting 15% tax gets rid of a whole lot more than half of it.
Reply Quote
The part I love most about this thread is how OP is in a fit of rage after "losing" said 15% to fees, while said fee has existed since this game's release. Long story short, this player didn't care about this fee until it affected his own sorry self. Pathtic ^^
Reply Quote
You paid for the game with real money. The fee is only in in-game gold.

Why do you have to pay any gold to get any item at all? You paid for the whole game, so you should be able to get all the items free of charge.

It's a game. There are things you have to do to get things in games.
Reply Quote
I don't think it's for inflation. It's for flipping. To even make a 1 gold profit on an item you have to sell it for more than 15% more than you bought it for. Obviously there are still lots of flippers who find the auctions that people list for a fraction of the actual value of an item, and they jump on it; that's how flippers can still make gold. But without the 15% transaction fee, you could make significant amounts of gold flipping any item that was listed at a reasonable price, not just those undervalued items.
Reply Quote
i completely understand how funny it is to pay a transaction fee in an imaginary world. because like you point out it is often meant to be revenue for the middle man. but since this is gold, it's not "real" revenue for blizzard.

i actually remember a long time ago watching a blizzcon presentation on youtube that someone said they decided to make a fee so that the AH would not get flooded with worthless items. they wanted to encourage people to only sell things that were really useful or valuable to other players. i don't know how well that is working or if it is also meant to stop abuse of other kinds.

but anyway, it is as you say "fake" money so also why should you care too much as well? its not real money that blizzard is making. and its not real money that you are making too.

unless you intend to sell the gold for real money, in that case, i guess its working as intended.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:05 PMPosted by hawkeye
In the merry world of on-line gaming it it otherwise known as a gold sink.

A gold sink to go with my balllin !@# gold toilet.
Reply Quote
Blizz employees bonuses re paid in gold... And blood.. Ain't cya know that? Heheh. [ r ]
Reply Quote
Why does blizzard charge 15% "tax" on the gold auction house? They don't make money, collecting the gold that they can create (it is there game afterall). They make money on the RMAH sales, so i understand the 15% charge... But charging 15% to sell on the gold AH? This is silly and there is no good reason for it. Even if i were to sell on the gold ah, and then sell gold on the rmah, i get hit 30% total. This is ridiculous.... Would love to see a blue respond to this in elaboration.

This is taken from their FAQ:
How is the transaction fee determined?
In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

This is not an explanation. It is just stating what WILL be done. How is DEDUCTING 15% from a gold sale, considered a transaction fee?
Transaction fee
A charge an intermediary, such as a broker-dealer or a bank, assesses for assisting in the sale or purchase of a security or money.

Just be happy it diddnt delete your 100mil and item there is a lot of going going on right now. Blizzard is not getting rid of the gold sink because u want your 15% back. They cant even get the AH to work properly, simmer down and have a seat.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:05 PMPosted by hawkeye
In the merry world of on-line gaming it it otherwise known as a gold sink.
Reply Quote
Edited by Blitz#1245 on 7/30/2013 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]