Diablo® III

Sold my first 100million item on Gold AH... this is BS

6 Pandaren Priest
Why does blizzard charge 15% "tax" on the gold auction house? They don't make money, collecting the gold that they can create (it is there game afterall). They make money on the RMAH sales, so i understand the 15% charge... But charging 15% to sell on the gold AH? This is silly and there is no good reason for it. Even if i were to sell on the gold ah, and then sell gold on the rmah, i get hit 30% total. This is ridiculous.... Would love to see a blue respond to this in elaboration.

This is taken from their FAQ:
How is the transaction fee determined?
In the gold-based auction house, a 15% transaction fee will be deducted from the final sale price of a successful auction.

This is not an explanation. It is just stating what WILL be done. How is DEDUCTING 15% from a gold sale, considered a transaction fee?
Transaction fee
A charge an intermediary, such as a broker-dealer or a bank, assesses for assisting in the sale or purchase of a security or money.

This is fake currency we're talking about here, gold that blizzard makes, not real money.
Overall, this is very discouraging & makes zero sense.

Are you !@#$ing serious? Quit whining, you have 85mil more than you did yesterday. Like everyone else said

01/27/2013 04:05 PMPosted by hawkeye
In the merry world of on-line gaming it it otherwise known as a gold sink.
Reply Quote

I don't see how adding gold sink in a game like diablo3 when there are items that are a billion gold (inflation).. The inflation ALREADY happened when people started botting. Why punish the normal player?

It was initially there to prevent the inflation in the first place, however the gold were just generated at faster pace than they ever predict.

I have not seen any blue response saying its there to prevent inflation. Their explanation in the FAQ is vague. Anyways, now that there is MASS inflation. Why is it still there? and/or why haven't they increased it?
Reply Quote
sink of the gold, young grasshopper.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised I haven't had a concussion yet from the number of times I've facepalmed myself when these threads show up
Reply Quote
Sold my first 100million item on Gold AH... this is BS

Now you know what companys are dealing with to stay in business.

Especially here in California.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Kryttos

This. It's inflation control. Albeit a weak one

Actually it is the best one possible due to it's self sustaining nature.

More gold in market --> inflation --> items sell for higher price --> gold tax increased --> less gold in market --> lowered inflation.
Reply Quote
If they didn't, then people will keep earning more and more gold and the prices for items will be so high, people would have to have 600 billion gold to buy an item that's worth 50k today.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Origin
Gold sink.
Reply Quote
OP's feelings are hurt that we have fake taxes for fake gold sales...priceless
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 1/27/2013 4:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Kryttos

Yeh agree it's not only weak but also shifts the burden of controlling inflation from Blizzard to every single player who uses AH.

Very responsible Blizzard for causing inflation and then make players to bear the cost to control it.
Reply Quote
Yeh agree it's not only weak but also shifts the burden of controlling inflation from Blizzard to every single player who uses AH.

Very responsible Blizzard for causing inflation and then make players to bear the cost to control it.

More gold in market --> inflation --> items sell for higher price --> gold tax increased --> less gold in market --> lowered inflation.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 1/27/2013 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:05 PMPosted by hawkeye
It deters speculation. Without the 15%, people would be continually reposting items just to get a couple 10k back. It would be a lame mess.

Also, without 15% rate, people would only use the AH and then trade gold in the RMAH. I don't think Blizzard love that idea...
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 1/27/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Are you f***ing kidding me, End of the Month Warped Logic Reward rightfully goes to you.

edit: ooops submitted by accident
Define 'lowered inflation' and 'best one possible' please.
Edited by Contra#6857 on 1/27/2013 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote

Are you f***ing kidding me, End of the Month Warped Logic Reward rightfully goes to you.

His point.
^
Your head.
Reply Quote
op has the critical thinking skills of a 5th grader. surely nobody can be that stupid...must be trolling
Reply Quote
It is a gold sink

When I sold my first 250m+ item I thought "Holy crap the tax on this costed more than the last 8 items I sold "
Reply Quote
OP.

Gold is real money. The 15% is actual profit for them. The GAH & RMAH is the same entity due to the fact you can sell and buy gold through the RMAH.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 1/27/2013 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Herbdoctor
Why does blizzard charge 15% "tax" on the gold auction house?

It makes the RMAH a desirable option because both means of sale involve a cut. If gold AH had no penalty than no one would use the RMAH unless they are cashing out since it's always a net loss transaction.

The added economic benefit is that the 15% tax acts as a gold sink.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Herbdoctor
You could also say its a fee for using the AH. If you dont want to pay it feel free to use the market/class forums and trade ingame and probably get scammed.

a fee for using a feature in a game I paid for.... makes total sense now! :/

Its to remove gold from the economy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]