Diablo® III

Sold my first 100million item on Gold AH... this is BS

This whole thread seemed to be started by another person that has blinders on towards Blizzard being an evil corporation, bent on making money off of its product. As a lot of intelligent people here said, it's a gold sink, and is required in the economy to prevent hyper-inflation and maintain a more steady value of gold per unit. For those of you living in the US you can see the direct affect that printing mass amounts of money has in devaluing your currency... every other currency isn't going up in value, the US dollar is just going down (look at $CAD vs $USD for example).
Reply Quote
It is given real money value by the RMAH and the GAH is considered your broker.

You say search it houses the search results and allows you to have access to all of the items, much like an insurance broker would do for you.

Either suck it up and continue to play or jsut go play something else. Hmmm why not try a new F2P game that is an ARPG that just came out with open beta.

It's been in since may and yet you only decide to complain when they take 15 mil from a transaction that you got 85 mil profit from. <---- This is just stupid.
Let blizzard work on more important things like itemization and new content.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:05 PMPosted by hawkeye
In the merry world of on-line gaming it it otherwise known as a gold sink.

Quit drinking the water. A Gold Sink removes the Gold from the system. None of this Gold is being removed. The Gold is just moved to the RMAH where it is reintroduced to the system.
Reply Quote
But charging 15% to sell on the gold AH? This is silly and there is no good reason for it.

You're right!

They're not charging nearly enough, or not charging in the right way.

Make it a combination posting tax and transaction tax- create an incentive for gameplay utility of items as opposed to 'financial innovation' use of items.

Lots of good posting tax arguments on GF- do a search.

Oh, wait- did I turn that around on you??? ROFL...
Reply Quote
You're right!

They're not charging nearly enough, or not charging in the right way.

Make it a combination posting tax and transaction tax- create an incentive for gameplay utility of items as opposed to 'financial innovation' use of items.

Lots of good posting tax arguments on GF- do a search.

Oh, wait- did I turn that around on you??? ROFL...

I agree, problems with currency inflation comes when the govn't, or in this case Blizz, starts to print money without any means of removing it from the economy. For example if the 15% gold sink transaction fee is simply just re-introduced into the system via the RMAH, it would appear to me that that we need an even higher gold sink.

Or perhaps they charge a 15% and only introduce 5%-10% of it back in the RMAH. This would prevent the total gold in the economy from sky rocketing and would also drive up the value in the RMAH, as it would limit the gold available.
Reply Quote
You can always buy the gold back off the RMAH. Thats what they want. Not for you to enjoy yourself.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Slay
In the merry world of on-line gaming it it otherwise known as a gold sink.

Quit drinking the water. A Gold Sink removes the Gold from the system. None of this Gold is being removed. The Gold is just moved to the RMAH where it is reintroduced to the system.

I just fell out of my chair laughing. You are the third person in this thread to say this. For humanities sake I hope you're all trolling.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Disturbed

I just fell out of my chair laughing. You are the third person in this thread to say this. For humanities sake I hope you're all trolling.

Trolling? No. Just stating the truth.
Reply Quote

Lets look at this logically shall we. Why would they need to take the gold from the 15% AH fee. When they can create an infinite amount of gold from thin air?
Edited by Disturbed#1578 on 1/28/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Lets look at this logically shall we. Why would they need to take the gold from the 15% AH fee. When they can create an infinite amount of gold from thin air?

Good point. Why don't countries just print more currency and pay off all their debt?

Obviously an in game economy and a real world economy are orders of magnitude apart, but certain rules still hold...
Now whether Blizz wants inflation to happen is a different story. Will they sell more gold at .50 per mil, or at 1.00 per mil?
And has there ever been a blue post about where RMAH gold comes from? It's all just speculation unless they've told us where it comes from.
Reply Quote
They use the 15% gold that they collect, grind it up and make tasty treats out of it for the staff.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Why does it matter, you are not the one who PAYS for that taxes.

Without the tax, no one is gonna take that sale of yours at 100m, instead they will look for similar sale at 85m which other sellers would be glad to sell at.

Bottomline? That 15m is never yours to begin with :P
Edited by Llanite#1798 on 1/28/2013 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
to get 100 million gold after tax, just take 100,000,000 and divide it by .85, and round up to the nearest whole number.. you will have the 100,000,000 + the 15% that will get taken off, leaving you with 100 million after tax

Edit: I do that for all of my auctions... I even have an excel sheet setup to do it quickly

america's education system failing once again.

yeah hahaha , hes losing gold fast if he keeps up with that formula hahaha , (price*1.15) is the right formula to get your whatever millions after taxes.

100000000*.85=y

y/.85=100000000

his math is fine, take an algebra class.

100000000*1.15=115000000

115000000*.85=97750000

to get the full 100m he would sell for 117647058.8235294
Edited by Caligula#1883 on 1/28/2013 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 10:35 AMPosted by FooTWO
And has there ever been a blue post about where RMAH gold comes from? It's all just speculation unless they've told us where it comes from.

Troll or moron. No matter, the gold on the RMAH comes from other players selling the gold. Of course in the set of "other players", some of them are cheating botters of course.

Umm, what? troll or moron because I asked a question? Since you feel so strongly about it, why don't you point me to the article/post where Blizzard explained exactly where the gold comes from on the RMAH. Obviously from players (botters or not), but do they repost the gold they took as transaction fees from the gold auction house? If you were able to follow the conversation intelligently you'd understand that was the implied question. But I have just spelled it out for you, now you can answer it.
Reply Quote
If you want you can go to gen chat and try and get someone willing to pay for it. LOL GL HF

I think it's definitely worth it. The security of not getting scammed as well as the convenience of having your item shown to hundreds of thousands of players.
Reply Quote
Its based on a currency that can infinitely be created. You can always play more and find more gold. Gold then has to be removed from the economy, otherwise the economy would crash because there is too much gold in it. Basic economics.

Blizzard just chose to place the gold sink in the Auction House.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]