Diablo® III

Support for 2560 x 1080

I love how having too high of a monitor resolution is considered an exploit now.
Reply Quote
It's not the res being too high, I play on a 30" screen at 2560 x 1600 just fine which is fully supported. It's the widescreen ratio the new screens use which could give players with them an advantage over those without.
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 02:52 AMPosted by recklessfour
Man, what a bummer, and the fact that they might remove windowed mode in the future too? Whats going on Blizzard?

they dont want to do any work. i mean if they did have to support larger monitor resolutions then they would have to actually create textures and such that fit those.

04/07/2013 06:32 PMPosted by conetopia
they are trying to prevent botters.

thats not it at all. imo they just dont want to have to deal with large format monitors and dual screen wide format resolutions. it really is disappointing that they completely cast aside one of the great things about buying an ATI card. then again they are an NVIDIA company right? so what do they care about ATI and its users. not like they have any money to spend.

The game servers and client UI were just not designed for this resolution and it's likely considered an exploit, giving an advantage to users with it over those without. ATI's Eyefinity feature is not supported for the same reason.

I have a question in light of this comment.
are you therefore going to do something about logitech keyboards and mice? they have software that allows scripting, macroing, and multikey setup. it could be considered an "exploit" and "giving an advantage to those without" by your statement.

i have something even more basic. how about SSD drives. that is a definitae advantage over anyone that doesnt have one. so it must be an exploit. what do you plan to do about people with SSD drives?

wouldnt it be better to just re-evaluate your stance on this and support the hardware? taking out support is definitely not the right answer.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 4/9/2013 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 07:45 AMPosted by Morogoth
i have something even more basic. how about SSD drives. that is a definitae advantage over anyone that doesnt have one. so it must be an exploit. what do you plan to do about people with SSD drives?

Not to side with blizz or anything, some things I would love to see fixed hardware wise. The monitor being up there. However SSD's don't make the kind of impact that people think they do. Sure we may load faster, but that is it. Even at that, with so much of the data server side you are still loading at about the same pace as everyone else (Based on network connection)

I have ran SCII, D3, and WoW off one of my SSDs, however I decided to pull them off as I saw no actual difference between the SSD and my Raid 0. I also see no difference between the raid and a single drive setup. Drive read/write speeds don't have much of an impact. You will load into the map 3 seconds faster (in a client based game) You wont attack faster (server based game such as these)
Reply Quote
Look blizzard, I've payed good money for my games. Both starcraft 2 and diablo III. This egregious lack of concern for customers is, to be frank, complete bs. Just because I bought a 2560x1080 monitor doesn't mean I'm looking for an advantage. The fact that blizzard wont support this resolution but WILL support 2560x1600 has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ea and origin may drm the hell out of their games too but at least me3 and even the new sim!@#$ty..... I mean simcity support 2560x1080.

Bioshock infinite plays nicely with the rez as well.

Blizzard why you would choose to discriminate against new computer hardware makes no sense to me. Then again I'm just a paying customer. YOU already have my money, what do YOU care?
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 03:05 PMPosted by Reignx

Not to side with blizz or anything, some things I would love to see fixed hardware wise. The monitor being up there. However SSD's don't make the kind of impact that people think they do. Sure we may load faster, but that is it. Even at that, with so much of the data server side you are still loading at about the same pace as everyone else (Based on network connection)

I have ran SCII, D3, and WoW off one of my SSDs, however I decided to pull them off as I saw no actual difference between the SSD and my Raid 0. I also see no difference between the raid and a single drive setup. Drive read/write speeds don't have much of an impact. You will load into the map 3 seconds faster (in a client based game) You wont attack faster (server based game such as these)

the point was not in the singlular fact of how much of an advantage or what kind a SSD provides. it was that all the things that i said provide an advantage and all of them are hardward that you add to your computer. load times could give you an advantage in hardcore. ever think it may just save your life? all of the map files along with several other things are technically on your PC already. the server data of course is loaded according to your network but your hardware speed ultimate affects you too.

the keyboards, mice, and such i hope were obvious to their advantages.

in any case the fact they refuse to support the hardware that users buy is ridiculous. i would understand if this was a game that they no longer were patching if it came up with a problem like that. however, the way they answered about not supporting it and even the possability of disabling it makes it obvious they are trying to control what people buy.
Reply Quote
This is ridicules that a 400 pound monitor is not supported. Your reaction to this is utterly unacceptable. So far there has not been any game that i was not able to play on my new monitor on a 2560 x 1080 resolution beside Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.

Instead of sending the handful of people that actually own this monitor with there back to the walls with nothing you could do, do a effort to sort this.

This resolution is a future proof spec and i assume the games i buy from you recently are the same. Your customer support on this issue show exactly the quality Blizzard has become over the last years.

Sorry no is not acceptable, maybe i am nothing to you and you really do not care about a single customer but i urge you to reconsider it and support it like every other game company has done so far.

Putting this under the carpet buy saying the 2560 x 1080 has a advantage is a unfair statement and i can name a handful more advantages that are allowed even.

Cheating by buying the newest hardware is the worst excuse i ever heard so far. ,,, wow,, just wow and not the game.
Edited by rootz#2950 on 4/22/2013 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe you should get over it and use the buttons on your monitor to turn off "stretch" mode. Changing the aspect ratio of the game changes how much of the field you can see. The same aspect ratio at higher resolution displays the same amount of the field, only with greater detail.

I play with 800x600 on my old laptop (even though it has a 1440x900 screen), and a 4:3 screen on my PC. That's my choice, and you don't see me whining about a disadvantage.

Or maybe you can run at 2560x1440 and simply adjust the monitor to clip the top and bottom portions of the picture, thereby using your "full" resolution.
Reply Quote
First of all, Blizzard's QA department does not have a commercially available widescreen monitor to "test" the game. This only tells us that nobody has even thought about supporting any kind of particular resolutions.

Really? In GAME DEVELOPMENT?

Regarding the aforementioned "unfair advantage" I call biggest BS in history. It's just a personal theory but I suppose that somebody has to get in there and get the textures right.

So if nobody is willing to spend time, effort and money on such a development, what exactly is the role of a QA department?
Reply Quote
I agree on what vektorhektor says. Its bs. Most big games support it now. And over unfair advantage, is in my eyes also bs.Plus a game has to be up to date that means also resolutions. But if it's only 10 people got a screen like this ,then i can understand. But more people turning to 21:9
So beter make resolution to it .
Edited by shellshock#2102 on 5/28/2013 4:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
But more people turning to 21:9

i saw some posts recently that people playing in windowed mode were having a problem with scaling. i "assume" they disabled the ability to have the windows scale to wide screen dimensions.

really they dont have to officially support these monitors. all they have to do is allow the windowed and windowed(fullscreen) have the ability to scale to whatever the monitor is. thats all it takes. then people with these kind of monitors will be happy.
Reply Quote
First of all, Blizzard's QA department does not have a commercially available widescreen monitor to "test" the game. This only tells us that nobody has even thought about supporting any kind of particular resolutions.

Really? In GAME DEVELOPMENT?

Regarding the aforementioned "unfair advantage" I call biggest BS in history. It's just a personal theory but I suppose that somebody has to get in there and get the textures right.

So if nobody is willing to spend time, effort and money on such a development, what exactly is the role of a QA department?

It is very frustrating. I have a 3 monitor setup and use nVidia Surround; WoW looks absolutely gorgeous in 5760x1080 as do the other MMOs I play. It is very ironic that one of Blizzard's oldest running games supports this and yet SC2 and Diablo3 do not.

I can somewhat give SC2 a pass since Blizzard is very serious about the whole competition/ladder crap but why not at least enable it for single player campaigns? For Diablo3 there is no excuse. Pretty much every game coming out now and for the past year supports these multi monitor configurations.
Reply Quote
I agree on what vektorhektor says. Its bs. Most big games support it now. And over unfair advantage, is in my eyes also bs.Plus a game has to be up to date that means also resolutions. But if it's only 10 people got a screen like this ,then i can understand. But more people turning to 21:9

It is not just people who bought a single monitor with a custom aspect ratio. Every person who has more than one screen running as a single screen have this issue too.

Heck I bought 3 cheap LED monitors for a total of under 200 dollars. So just about anybody can have a multi screen setup.

More and more people have a custom aspect ratio and every other developer has gotten with the program yet Blizzard is going in the wrong direction and taking features out!
Reply Quote
It is a real shame that Blizzard are unwilling to support this resolution and aspect ratio. Several other action RPG's including Torchlight II, The incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and Path of Exile (free to play) support 2560 x 1080 out of the box and seem to perceive no issues at all with "providing an advantage over other players".

Seems odd that significantly smaller developers with cheaper purchase price and/ FTP polices do this when Blizzard make such a tough stance.
Edited by Skallywag#2934 on 6/19/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I also have a 21:9 - 2650x1080 Monitor and I would love native resolution support for this game. At the moment I and getting a standard 1920x1080 stretched images for this game. My monitor is the LGEA93-P. A lost a games currently support this resolution including World of Warcraft & Starcraft. Thanks for sending the Dev team a Heads up =-)
Reply Quote
I also have a 21:9 - 2650x1080 Monitor and I would love native resolution support for this game. At the moment I and getting a standard 1920x1080 stretched images for this game. My monitor is the LGEA93-P. A lost a games currently support this resolution including World of Warcraft & Starcraft. Thanks for sending the Dev team a Heads up =-)

can you try something real quick?
i just want to see if it works. i seen a report a while back that someone got it to work. unfortunately i dont have one of these extra wide monitors.

go to your D3Prefs file and change these:
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1920"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "1080"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"

to something similar to this

DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1920"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "1080"
DisplayModeWidth "2560"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"
Reply Quote
Blizzard is lazy. There's no reason why D3 cannot support this resolution.

Sure in SC2 it will give an advantage since map awareness is key, but D3 is either solo or group co-op play, so how can a greater field of view be considered an exploit?
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 01:49 PMPosted by bruteMax
Sure in SC2 it will give an advantage since map awareness is key, but D3 is either solo or group co-op play, so how can a greater field of view be considered an exploit?

they dont want you to see the elites you are already going to kill apparently.
strange i know, but there you have it. if your screen is wider you can see more mobs. :/

i dont see the point of this argument though.

i mean by that logic someone using a resolution with 16:9 has more of an advantage than someone with a 4:3 screen. so therefore all our monitors are exploiting the game. blizzard should definitely ban their entire playerbase for this!

btw if you dont really understand how big a difference the aspect ratio is between those two are look at this. clearly shows that us gamers with 16:9 resolutions are better off. yet they support us having a bigger advantage?
http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=8320
Reply Quote
rexdc,

Thanks for your info. I've passed it all on to our QA Department for review. I'd imagine they'd have to get one of the new monitors which they may or may not decide to do based on how relevant the issue is. Unless a lot of people are kept from playing the game, an issue like this will be fairly low priority and likely not addressed until more urgent issues have been resolved.

But I'll let you know in this thread if I hear anything.

like being able to play the game without it crashing 10x more often than games that are still in beta
Edited by LoRdNuKe#1594 on 7/6/2013 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So I just got one of the new 21:9 LG's yesterday and I saw this topic now, and I can't believe that your developers call themselves developers. We're in 2013 people, not supporting a resolution is just obscenely frustrating and stupid. Making a game engine that depends on the display resolution itself is stupid. Just give Epic some money and use the Unreal Engine 3/4, your engine apparently sucks - it's DirectX 9 (the year of 2006) and it has so many problems after one year of updates. How is this even possible?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]