Diablo® III

Support for 2560 x 1080

(Locked)

I would also like to post this link again as a comparison, please note that your traditional 16:9 is slightly larger vertically and the 21:9 monitor is slightly larger horizontally while losing the extra vertical space. So all and all both monitors have an advantage just one vertically and one horizontally, I hope Blizzard will re consider their stance as I feel neither monitor has a real gaming advantage over another.

http://www.displaywars.com/29-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

you do realize, that a 16:9 monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 does not have an advantage in vertical view compared to a 21:9 monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080 pixels?
with 21:9 you just see more left and right. for top and bottom it stays the same area u can see.
your site just compares the actual display sizes and doesnt factor in resolution.
please stop spreading misinformation.

apart from that i also see no reason for not supporting this resolution in a game like d3. where as for starcraft 2 i could accept their argument.
Edited by Clep#2514 on 11/19/2013 10:17 PM PST
would love to see this res supported in ros, sick of using the windowed fullscreen mode
11/19/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Clep
I would also like to post this link again as a comparison, please note that your traditional 16:9 is slightly larger vertically and the 21:9 monitor is slightly larger horizontally while losing the extra vertical space. So all and all both monitors have an advantage just one vertically and one horizontally, I hope Blizzard will re consider their stance as I feel neither monitor has a real gaming advantage over another.

http://www.displaywars.com/29-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

you do realize, that a 16:9 monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 does not have an advantage in vertical view compared to a 21:9 monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080 pixels?
with 21:9 you just see more left and right. for top and bottom it stays the same area u can see.
your site just compares the actual display sizes and doesnt factor in resolution.
please stop spreading misinformation.

apart from that i also see no reason for not supporting this resolution in a game like d3. where as for starcraft 2 i could accept their argument.

Clep I do not mean to insult you in anyway but I'm not spreading misinformation, I have both an LG 29inch and an ASUS 27 144mhz gaming monitor, I've also gamed on CRT's with 4:3 ratio what I'm asking is where do you draw the line in saying hardware gives an advantage. Do people using mechanical keyboards have an advantage because response time is less. What about my 144hz monitor I honestly think that is more of an advantage in FPS games considering the reaction time is less I find and so do a lot of professional gamers. You could start saying high end video cards are an advantage because of the smoother frame rate. I guess what I'm trying to say is Blizzard's response is not strong in my opinion.

I will however agree with you on the Starcraft issue for competitions as for general casual play then no my argument still stands.

So yes you may be correct and I apologize because I had no intention of spreading mis information about the monitor resolution and aspect ratio. But my argument is still valid considering when the standard of 4:3 was changing over to 16:9 I heard no issue from Blizzard.

I'm a gamer at heart and all I'm asking is to abide by a standard for supporting hardware that is being supported by other developers.
i didnt mean to offend you neither, but what you said about both monitors having an advantage was just not correct.
then i said i DON'T see any reason for NOT supporting that resolution in a game like diablo 3 :)
Well at least we can agree that it should be supported!
04/04/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Omrakos
Our QA Team has had a chance to check out the new widescreen monitor with Diablo III. I'm afraid the results aren't going to be to your liking however. They confirmed the game isn't supporting the resolution currently and that there are no plans to do so going forward. I believe the ability to use it in FullScreen Windowed mode may be disabled in the near future as well.

The game servers and client UI were just not designed for this resolution and it's likely considered an exploit, giving an advantage to users with it over those without. ATI's Eyefinity feature is not supported for the same reason.

I know this isn't going to be a popular decision to share but it's where the issue stands.

Is this still Blizzard's stance on this, or have they adjusted their thinking? 1900x1200 is supported, which is an "advantage" over 1080 vertical displays, why is this OK but, 2560 wide not? These monitors are becoming more common, as most "widescreen" format films are 21:9 aspect ratio.

Can we have an updated blue response on this?
Hoping for some clarification on this, still. If you are purposefully ignoring this so you do not have to act on the so called unfair advantage/exploit, just lock the thread so we know.
Quite accurate more and more games and monitors are appearing using this resolution, I would like to think that if there really is to be no more movement in spite of the requests of the community, that we could at least have that communicated to us, like the valued customers that I presume we are
12/06/2013 11:44 AMPosted by MrAerosmith
Quite accurate more and more games and monitors are appearing using this resolution, I would like to think that if there really is to be no more movement in spite of the requests of the community, that we could at least have that communicated to us, like the valued customers that I presume we are

they really do need to re-evaluate their perspective on supported technologies. both Nvidia and AMD have supported multimonitor for a long time and its on every card you buy. additionally, like you all say wide screen formats are the way things are now.
Odd buy of the week Deadpool... 2560 x 1080 supported...
12/06/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Morogoth

they really do need to re-evaluate their perspective on supported technologies. both Nvidia and AMD have supported multimonitor for a long time and its on every card you buy. additionally, like you all say wide screen formats are the way things are now.

This is for sure, I cannot think of any reason outside of competitions that widescreen or multi monitor formats would be unsupported. Calling it an exploit or unfair advantage seems rather odd to me in a game like diablo. Especially as it is something everyone playing can achieve if they so choose, like having a better graphics card is an advantage/exploit because you can get 120 frames per second to someone else's 20.

The rationale just does not hold water, it is not as though people are exploiting a bug or glitch that is sought out to create an advantage. This is enjoying the hardware we play games on in the quality that hardware can produce.

Still hoping for some clarification on this from a blue.
The rationale just does not hold water, it is not as though people are exploiting a bug or glitch that is sought out to create an advantage. This is enjoying the hardware we play games on in the quality that hardware can produce.

i did actually point that very same thing out before.
you will notice that D3 supports 3 resolution formats. 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 are the supported ratios in game. if you look at it you can actually say they have advantage over each other except for the 4:3 which just sucks.

i.e 16:9 > 16:10 > 4:3
this is best illustrated right here on the distance map: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VrPobIF_7SY/T7qytzx6SRI/AAAAAAAAE8o/DlzFGo66vUc/s1600/D3_Distance_Map.jpg

pretty much 16:9 gives you a distinct viewing advantage over 16:10, and 16:10 gives you a distinct view advantage over 4:3.

so if this is already the case why isnt the newer 21:9 format being supported? why dont they want to support dual graphics cards? why dont they want to support multimonitor?
..because they would have to invest money into actually putting it in the game. same reason i suspect we will never see any UI or improved graphic option changes.

the simple fact is they cant just go around suggesting Nvidia and AMD technology is exploitive when they fully allow Logitech mice/keyboards with programmable keys and macro/scripting functions. they also fully allow multiboxing using third party software which can also be considered "exploitive and giving an unfair advantage" especially in this game.

i really do hope a blue comes back in and says they are going to revisit the issue.
What about 4k? It's 16:9 so will it be supported? I may be dumb enough to buy one in the next 6 months if prices come down a bit.
12/07/2013 03:03 PMPosted by javy29sp
What about 4k? It's 16:9 so will it be supported? I may be dumb enough to buy one in the next 6 months if prices come down a bit.

while i cant really give you an official answer on that, i would have to say that since it is just another ratio of 16:9 then the resolution itself is probably not going to be an issue. the issue here in this thread is that they dont support wider formats than 16:9.
Here is a bump for an update from the blue crew.

Really hope Blizzard rethinks their stance on people with big displays.
I'm glad more people are speaking up, as I was actually considering downgrading back to a 16:9 27 inch monitor.

I'm going to stick with my original intention and that is to just stop playing gaming that do not support modern hardware. I mean if the Dead pool game support it why can't D3.
Does anyone have a list of competitive games that are played in the MLG that support 21:9?
12/10/2013 07:37 AMPosted by Phenex
Does anyone have a list of competitive games that are played in the MLG that support 21:9?

I am not sure how comparing D3 to any MLG type competitive games would help. This is a PvE game, so they really have no reason not to support it other than not wanting to commit the resources necessary to get things optimized for us.

Sure would like to be able to fullscreen my game...
Want to bump this thread for an update. Looking at picking up a 21:9 monitor, and the lack of support is disappointing.
12/11/2013 06:43 AMPosted by Linflas

I am not sure how comparing D3 to any MLG type competitive games would help. This is a PvE game, so they really have no reason not to support it other than not wanting to commit the resources necessary to get things optimized for us.

Sure would like to be able to fullscreen my game...

I was just curious really to see if competitive games were being supported, if they were and as you pointed out D3 is not so there should be no reason too not have it supported. So that is how the comparison would help.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]