Diablo® III

gearing my monk for dueling

Ok...I have spent quite some time dueling in the PTR and I am sick and tired of the other guys running around and sniping at me until I die.

Barbs that rend and run or DHs with their invisible crap that just run and strafe you...

These types are the hardest to kill because they avoid your attack so easily. My monk was geared for toe-to-toe with lots of DPS, crit chance,crit damage and LS..one bell or SSS usually killed the other guy...if I could get to them before my serenity wore down and they sniped me to death.

So I did a complete rethink of how to survive long enough to get that one good crit hit in and I changed my mantra and passives. I bought some fairly cheap gear on the GAH and put together my first tank monk.

To test my build I went to see Azmo in his den on Inferno MP10.

I can now (solo with no follower) faceroll him without moving or dodging, living through 4 hellgrasp periods and never dropping below 1/4 life.

That signals to me that I am on the right track...

What did I change gear wise ?

I subbed ammy/ring/belt/bracers/helm for rares that had lots of armor and double resists..I lost about 800 dex and 10k vit...but each piece has life regen...and that is the real key to surviving a duel...you can't depend on LoH or LS if you can't keep steady damage on your opponent.

So now I have a barb-like 2100k life regen...2.5K LS and 250 LoH

My shield gives me +28% block chance and 8% crit chance

I have almost 1k all resist and 13k armor (with mantras and passives)

I can stand in all the ground effects and survive being frozen at the same time..arcane beams only hurt me if they pop multiple ones right under my feet.

The tradeoff has been a big loss of DPS..at my max tank I only do 55k (plus the SW and the extra 7% deadly reach helm bonus)

So it takes a while to kill stuff on MP10....so what ? this is not a farming build...and I have yet to see a barb or DH with 79 million HP...

I suspect that my DPS will crit enough to take out the other guy in a duel..all I have to do is
survive his sniping until I can connect with dashing strike and then @@@@##@@ him in front of his family pet.

Maybe I can't kill another tank but I am not done yet...I am still looking to upgrade my gear and my ultimate goal is to make monks the guys no one wants to duel.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed...maybe everyone together can accomplish more than we realize.
Reply Quote
the top players are all tanks with over 100k life AND over 200k dps if they're monks, 300k+ if they're other classes.

I also tried gearing up to 90k hp with 800 resists, 8k armor, 2k life regen and 14% elite reduction but the 120k dps I ended up with just couldn't scratch any of these guys.

It could definitely pay off to incorporate life regen and mitigation into your build, but be careful to not sacrifice too much dps, you're going to need 200k+ to beat other tanks.
Reply Quote
PvP is about balancing your build for the most part. A high life pool helps a lot, as does DPS. I would say anything over 85K life should do well as long as you have unbuffed DPS around 150K, 6K armor and 700 resists or so. With regards to fighting the "top" guys, you'll run into issues, but that's somewhat expected since they are well geared. Just have fun and duel however you like.

I would advise holding off on any regearing until 1.07 is officially released. There are still bugs on the PTR and Blizz will do more tweaking to balance out PvP.

Edit: Wittster has some misinformation with regards to the stats of the "top" players. Some have those stats, some don't. It is not reflective of their PvP ability. All things being equal, the better geared player will win, however, you never know.
Edited by jco310#1218 on 1/27/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'd like to point out... even though jco and i are quite on the tankier side. It is still very difficult to deal with rend and run barbs as well as dh impales. Therefore, don't be completely dis-illusioned that you will be safe with a healthy ehp. All that said, i do find certain situations much easier.

At the end of the day, despite gear, a lot of skill and timing is still involved. I have to re-spec almost every matchup for 1v1 or ffa depending on who's in the game. Even after a couple of duels i may start switching skills to accommodate style.
Reply Quote
Life per spirit spent is a great healing mechanic in pvp you might consider. It can provide burst healing on demand away from combat which is very nice. I would definitely take it over life steal and life on hit, however it does limit gear selection naturally.
Reply Quote
thanks guys for the input!

I know that every opponent needs a tweak in build to counter...and that timing your moves is critical...and I realize that this is not an invulnerable build...but I think it will keep me alive a lot longer and give the the chance to get in a critical stun/kill before they peck me to death while running away.
Reply Quote
Blitz, I love your FoT Gear. Wish I had gold to get more of the better types like you have. ^-^

Have you ever considered trying out a WKL on top of all that? Probably would be totally bad !@#. : p
Reply Quote
Blitz, I love your FoT Gear. Wish I had gold to get more of the better types like you have. ^-^

Have you ever considered trying out a WKL on top of all that? Probably would be totally bad !@#. : p

Thanks...I do have a WKL that i use from time to time. I will put it on my profile this morning.
Reply Quote
I personally think it would be better to set up multiple gear sets for each situation then to try and build on gear set for all. You might want to think about having a glass cannon set up. That way you can switch items with your tanky set up to mix and match and get the right gear for the right opponent. I personally feel devoting 2/3 your characters inventory for extra dueling gear isn't going overboard.
Reply Quote

Thanks...I do have a WKL that i use from time to time. I will put it on my profile this morning.

^_^ Like I said earlier, I love your setup and nice WKL. : p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]