Diablo® III

Fuzzy's LpSS guide thread!

Hello people,

For a long time now i've been using LpSS as my main form of life sustain. Long story short, i've always been a rather poor fella and when i started playing it seemed to me that the best compromise when it came to budget/DPS was to ignore costier sustains such as LoH (back in the days of 1.03, LS was hardly considered viable and then only to the highest DPS'ers). Indeed, weapons and helms with LpSS seemed to cost MUCH less than their mainstream LoH counter parts. This still holds true as i am writting this guide and is one of the big factors that drove me to share my view on LpSS.

First-hand i'd like to answer some of the concerns/questions that are always thrown to my face whenever i try to make the eulogy of LpSS.

-But Fuzzy, does LpSS ON ITS OWN do as good a job at generating HP as the other options?!

The answer is, dependingly on your build, yes it will. So long as your monk has 2APS and a decent base of crit chance, Quickening will fuel you all the spirit you need. At 2APS, i've calculated that 200 LpSS will generate between 6500-11k HP per 1-2 seconds.

What should be noted here is that the most efficient way to use LpSS IMO has always been to couple it with 2-3% of LS once you've reached sufficiently high DPS.

-What about the sacrifices in slots and DPS i make in order to use LPSS?

I've heard that argument a great many times as the fear of losing DPS is always omnipresent. The truth is, if you do it right the only thing you'll lose from focusing on LpSS is ONE weapon affix slot (since you'll need a weapon that has BOTH LpSS and LS as well as a socket and natural crit damage) and the capacity of using Mempo over Inna's and that's only in the case of focusing. I've seen a handfull of monks who were using lower amounts of LpSS as a complementary stat and who were absolutely in love with the extra burst heal sustain it provided.

-What MP can it handle ?

AFAIK, as high as your other stats can take you. It's all a matter of being at a level that's manageable eHP and DPS-wise. For me that's MP6 on farming and MP8 on ubers. If i had 125k-150k DPS and 500-600k eHP, i'd probly be going on higher MP. All in all, i dont believe LpSS is in any case an impediment to MP progression.

Now as to the guide itself!

What's LpSS ? How does it work? Well basically, you generate spirit and then use that spirit as fast as possible in order to generate HP in real-time. For each point of spirit spent, you will gain an amount of life equal to your total LpSS value. From that we can deduce a couple of things:

1) ALL YOUR SPIRIT SPENDERS HAVE AN ADDED BURST HEAL EFFECT! AWESOMESAUCEZ! :P
2) LpSS only scales with itself (more LpSS) and with attack speed/spirit generation speed (high attack speed or high spirit regen builds).
3) The higher the cost of the spirit spender, the more HP you'll generate.
4) You'll be forced to use fist weapons and fore-go all the other weapon types.

Lets start with the items and skills that are beneficial to a LpSS build!

ITEMS

Unlike other life sustains like LoH and LpS (not LS though), LpSS takes very few affix slots in a build. LoH for example, as popular as it is, would take a slot on each of your weapons as well as on each of your jewels and possibly your pants (blackthorn pants). That's 6 affix slots dedicated to LoH. In comparison, LpSS only requires 3 (both weapons and helm).

1) Inna's Helm (with 50-60 LpSS) - An absolute MUST if you're intent on making LpSS your primary form of sustain.
2) Won Khim Lau (with 50-60 LpSS) - This is one of the beauties of the build; you can find WKL's in the 900+ DPS range with socket and maxed LPSS for about 10-20M gold MAX and some are even cheaper than that. As most of you already know, the Skill Damage bonus and %Ele Dmg bonus add a lot of eDPS, making WKL one of the best (if not the best) monk weapon.
3) Rare fist weapon with the following stats : 50-60LpSS, 2-3%Lifesteal, 60%-100% Crit damage and an open socket (if you're lucky you can find one with all these stats AND some DEX) - This right here is the cherry on top of the cake, Lifesteal actually becomes your SECONDARY life sustain stat. This is very important as it basically makes you impossible to kill if you just play smart. Using PURELY LpSS without any Lifesteal is very challenging at higher MP levels. It's possible to do but i will always recommend picking up some lifesteal at some point.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/30/2013 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
SKILLS and PASSIVES

As opposed to what you'd initially think, LpSS actually opens more skill build paths as it provides extra synergy to all your spirit spenders making them that much more desirable. Check it out!

1) FoT/Quickening VS. FoT/Thunderclap - This is one of the biggest dilemma of the build. I will let each individual decide wich generator they prefere as they both provide different advantages. FoT/Quickening makes you certain that you'll always have spirit to spend for as long as you have enemies to hit on. You WILL lose eDPS from the dropping of Thunderclap (and its lightning damage element) however it will also let you focus on spirit spenders rather than defensive skills. Quickening + LpSS makes spenders like Wave of Light and LTK extremely potent as they both become CC nukes and heal bursts that are 100% spammable . I believe the advantages of Thunderclap are too-well-known and so i'll simply recite them: high mobility, high proc rate, higher eDPS and IAS. My opinion on the subject? Both are viable as part of a LpSS build but as the next patch (1.07) comes around, Quickening will quickly regain lost ground as we will see a lot of monks starting to use WoL and LTK and so, aching for extra spirit to spend.

PS: It should be noted here that one could also keep FoT/Thunderclap and go for SW/Inner Storm for spirit generation. AFAIK, inner storm isnt as efficient as Quickening but as it turns out a lot of people are extremely attached to Thunderclap.

2) Transcendance - I dont believe i have to write a paragraph on that one. This is a LpSS build. The transcendance passive gives the max possible LpSS value per-slot. You'll have to use the damn thing if you want to reach 200+ LpSS. PS: Some people would say that is a wasted passive slot. Personally when i look at the other possible passives we have, the only one that even comes close to 62 LpSS is Beacon of Ytar and then it's mostly a wash. Blame Blizzard for giving our class such lousy passives, not me for making the best of it! :P

3) SPENDERS! Wave of Light, Seven Sided Strike as well as Lashing tail kick all are excellent spenders to couple up with LpSS. My personnal favorites are LTK/Scorpiong sting (incredible synergy here: Is spammable, each kick can crit wich will generate cyclones and possibly stun any of the targets for 1.5 AS WELL AS heal you for a pretty amount), WoL/Blinding Light (Same thing as Scorpion sting, great synergy from DPS + CC + HEAL all in one spell).

The rest of the build plays out a lot like cookie cutter. STI, OWE, Serenity/Ascension, MoC/Overawe and SW/Cyclone wich leaves you with room for 2 spirit spenders while filling up all your passive slots.

PROS and CONS

PROS
-Completerly outperforms LoH in PvP and PvE when done right, is a close-to-equal to LS in both environments.
-Best bang for buck life sustain stat available to our class.
- Clutch burst heals WHEN YOU NEED THEM! LpSS healing is completely independant of wether your skill actually connects or not - finished are the times when you would rage at shielded minions.
-Not restrictive at all; actually pushes the user towards exciting new spirit-spending builds rather than the passive cookie-cutter one.
-Adds synergy to the skills of a class that lacks any kind thereof.
-Hipsterness level is clearly over 9000. Obtain endless swagger as you stroll down the street sporting this fine original build.

CONS
-Wave Mempo goodbye (IMO the single, biggest problem of them all - thank the FSM that Inna's Radiances make for such great helms and are widely used by monks)
-Does not scale as well into REAL end-game as 6% LS does (but then again nothing does, 200k DPS + 6% LS trumps everything, even EHP)
-Forces you to use fist weapons and in doing so forces you to kiss Echoing Furies goodbye (although again this isnt such a bad thing, with EF's fear being so annoying and all)

As an ending note i'd like to make it clear that i'm in no way saying that LpSS build is the new cookie cutter, that it's superior in anyway to any other build. I'm not here for a pissing contest but rather, to give some much needed props to a stat/build that clearly needs it. Life per Spirit Spent is a 100% viable life sustaining stat that can and should be used in the same proportion as that of other similar stats (especially LoH). From my personnal experience, there is a lot of undeserved nay-saying surrounding the stat and so this thread is a big fat, 2-post answer to that.

Thank you for reading, feel free to leave a comment. I'll be monitoring the thread and answering to whatever questions are thrown my way.

PS: Also feel free to notify me of any kind of english mistake as i am not a native english speaker (french-spoken).
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 2:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
If this is a practical joke regarding the uselessness of lpss on endgame / pvp, then it's successful. It needs either a huge buff to absolute values or make it percentage-based to make it scale.

Also, there's another big problem which can be summed up as this:

spirit regen, lpss, dps: choose two.

EDIT: This post was done when the guide posts were still reserved after 24 hours. Unfortunately after reading the guide I still think LpSS needs a buff or a rework to be truly viable. Nonetheless, the guide is very well done and explains how to maximize LpSS.
Edited by mirage#2926 on 1/30/2013 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
If this is a practical joke regarding the uselessness of lpss on endgame / pvp, then it's successful. It needs either a huge buff to absolute values or make it percentage-based to make it scale.

Ouch.....heh
...ouch.
Reply Quote
The problem with LPSS is that it takes up important weapon rolls, making it a barrier to top tier monks who need the efficient rolls.

They should make it come as an fixed affix on Inna's Helm and also buff the 4 set bonus LPSS to something more negligible like 35-50.
Reply Quote
The problem with LPSS is that it takes up important weapon rolls, making it a barrier to top tier monks who need the efficient rolls.

They should make it come as an fixed affix on Inna's Helm and also buff the 4 set bonus LPSS to something more negligible like 35-50.

Agreed! (and i believe you meant "less" negligible)
Edited by mirage#2926 on 1/29/2013 2:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
have a spirit regen and lpss inna's helm for sale if anyone wants one? 1.18 spirit regen, 58.5 lpss.
Reply Quote
I like using LpSS on my farming and PVP gear.When I am ready to do mp 10 then maybe I switch it out, untill then I will stick with it. ".Why use a spoon to eat rice when a fork will do"
Reply Quote
I'm simply fleshing out the guide in a word file before putting it on the forums lol but thanks for the exposure! :P

@Kamel, wont be necessary but thanks for the heads up! :)
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 4:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/29/2013 04:36 AMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy
I'm simply fleshing out the guide in a word file before putting it on the forums lol but thanks for the exposure! :P

I would use notepad, you may be disappointed with the formatting once you copy and paste into your thread.

Also, hahaha to the posts above

EDIT: I wrote "maybe" instead of "may be"
Edited by KamelJabber#1103 on 1/29/2013 4:53 AM PST
Reply Quote

It takes the life sustain roll slot. I dont see how that's wasted, it's simply replacing LS or LoH with another form of sustain (LpSS). Also, life sustain is never a wasted slot.

FoT/Quickening, 200+ LpSS, 100k+ DPS... What's that you're saying?

@Seansky; Indeed, that's one of the biggest downside, having to use Inna's over Mempo.

In ANY case, these are all the kind of questions i intend answering in detail inside of my guide! Look forward to it! :D
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 5:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
my only problem with trying to go lpss is i cant get it on my helm unless i forego my mempo......

without that slot, i lose 60 lpss, which is kinda huge and may make it less viable, no? specially when im a board monk...... :(
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 04:42 AMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy

That is exactly what I'm saying. 100k DPS is not much, specially paired with quickening. 200+ LpSS sounds great, but you're surely wasting a passive and lots of ehp and dps. Can you handle MP10?

For endgame, LS is superior, for the same reason it is superior to LOH. And for pvp, good luck filling spirit with a spirit generator. In my post, I should have said "passive spirit regen" but for pvp there's not much else to regen from.

That said, I'm looking forward to see your guide, I truly hope there's something I'm missing.
Reply Quote
View profile
i myself look forward to the write up. I definitely can feel the LpSS when I spam my mantra and would like to see how far you have taken it.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:34 AMPosted by MrMojoRisin
have a spirit regen and lpss inna's helm for sale if anyone wants one? 1.18 spirit regen, 58.5 lpss.

I might actually be interested in this (although I'd prefer higher spirit/second). I'd love to see the rest of your stats... What's your price? I'll add you in-game to get the details, I guess.

@FuzzyWuzzy -- when are you going to put actual content in the first two posts? I'm eager to read about your thoughts on LpSS, as I have long since been a supporter of this form of sustain (although I still view this as being a secondary form to LS ATM). At your 200+ LpSS level, each mantra spam will return you 10K life. That seems pretty substantial for someone that does some form of cookie cutter, where you spam MoC/Overawe every 3 seconds or so. In any case, I'd really want to read more on your thoughts / build around this.

Content please!
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/29/2013 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
One thing you might mention is that LpSS >> LOH and LS in PVP.
Reply Quote
To my surprise and after much insistance here's the content, folks! Dont be too harsh on me as i'm not in the habit of writting up guides. I feel that as one of the most knowledgeable LpSS monks (not that it's hard to be that when theres about 10 LpSS monks in all of Diablo 3!), it would be a fine idea to simply do a little write up on the subject to have a thread where we can exchange and discuss on the subject matter that is LpSS.

Again, thank you for reading and/or participating.

Stay classy!
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
This is a good thread if only because of Quickening/WoL-Empowered Wave possibly being our best DPS build.

I tried dropping 3% lifesteal and only ran with the 60 LPSS passive and BARELY noticed a different with ~3.00 aps and ~45% crit chance with MP 8-9 on PTR.
If you can get an addditional ~50 LPSS on your weapon or helm, this could actually work. Of course life steal % scales better BUT with reflect damage being a shield, we are all going to be able to get away with much less healing.

Keep up the good work. I'm in the process of collecting data to show Quickening/WoL-Empowered Wave IS more dps than cookie cutter (spam mantra vs. spam mantra and WoL). Will share in Monk forums soon hopefully - don't have a lot of free time atm.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 1/29/2013 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is a good thread if only because of Quickening/WoL-Empowered Wave possibly being our best DPS build.

I tried dropping 3% lifesteal and only ran with the 60 LPSS passive and BARELY noticed a different with ~3.00 aps and ~45% crit chance with MP 8-9 on PTR.
If you can get an addditional ~50 LPSS on your weapon or helm, this could actually work. Of course life steal % scales better BUT with reflect damage being a shield, we are all going to be able to get away with much less healing.

Keep up the good work. I'm in the process of collecting data to show Quickening/WoL-Empowered Wave IS more dps than cookie cutter (spam mantra vs. spam mantra and WoL). Will share in Monk forums soon hopefully - don't have a lot of free time atm.

Indeed, in my post i did note how, with 1.07 around the corner, people will begin to turn more and more toward FoT/Quickening + Wave of Light. This is something i am eagerly waiting for. As soon as the game is patched, i'm dropping Thunderclap and BoH in favor of Quickening and WoL and/or LTK.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote

That is exactly what I'm saying. 100k DPS is not much, specially paired with quickening. 200+ LpSS sounds great, but you're surely wasting a passive and lots of ehp and dps. Can you handle MP10?

For endgame, LS is superior, for the same reason it is superior to LOH. And for pvp, good luck filling spirit with a spirit generator. In my post, I should have said "passive spirit regen" but for pvp there's not much else to regen from.

That said, I'm looking forward to see your guide, I truly hope there's something I'm missing.

You're talking as if i was completely end-game geared and all. One look at my items tells you that's clearly not the case. There are multiple areas i could upgrade in order to bump up my DPS and eHP without affecting my LpSS totals at ALL.

The point i was making is that you can easily have all three of the things you named. Get spirit generation out of Quickening and then get DPS and LpSS out of your gears just as any other build would (as it is shown in my OP, LpSS does not impede your DPS progression except when it comes to the difference between Inna's helm and Mempos). You are really over stating the DPS loss and there isnt any kind of eHP loss at all associated with using LpSS (the slot it takes in your helm could be used for AR/Armor, sure, but it'll always be a negligible amount and even then most of the time people use that affix slot not for eHP but for the eDPS coming from %Skill Damage affixes. I would argue using it for life sustain is as good as any of the formers).
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/29/2013 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]