Diablo® III

Fuzzy's LpSS guide thread!

At last was waiting since the title came out to see this guide :D
Reply Quote
Very cool. I'm glad that you are bringing into vogue what I feel is one of the most undervalued stats for monks. I don't have it in as many slots as I'd like, but having high LpSS compliments high spirit spending skills well. Burst heals each time you spam any mantra or any skill (w/o cooldown like WoL or CS) is a great side effect.

One thing to note that I'm not sure if you have put in there is the timing of the life return.

With LpSS, life is returned on spam of skill and is NOT dependent on whether the skill (if it's an attack) actually connects with anything at all. So spamming a bell on a shielded or immune monster has no impact on life return - you'll still get the same life back regardless. This makes it superior to LoH in some situations (against shielded or immune monsters), and the fact that you don't have to be in melee combat to trigger LpSS. If anything, it might actually compliment LoH quite nicely, IMO.

Anyway, kudos to you OP for putting together this thread.
Reply Quote
@Nameless; I knew about that but hadnt tought of it as i was writting my post up. I'm adding your point to the PROS section of my OP. Thanks for the contribution!
Reply Quote
View profile
Nice write up. I'm going to try the passive tonight instead if combination strike against solo MP 9 ubers. This should give me 123 LpSS and I'll spam my mantra and SSS. See if it he extra healing makes the run less stressful haha.
Reply Quote
LsPP works great with TR builds as there is a constant rebuff of energy, as well as I have found that using the enpowered wave rune works the bestfor WoL.With the full on cost much of the life heal is waisted but spamming EW more control can be obtained with the balance of life regen.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:39 PMPosted by WhiteWizzard
LsPP works great with TR builds as there is a constant rebuff of energy, as well as I have found that using the enpowered wave rune works the bestfor WoL.With the full on cost much of the life heal is waisted but spamming EW more control can be obtained with the balance of life regen.

That's one thing i failed to mention by cause of lack of personal knowledge. As it turns out, i've never ran a TR build and so while i was aware of the synergy between TR and LPSS, i could not really develop on it. In any case, you are totally right. The continuous consumption of spirit of TR turns LpSS into a stream of healing. Thanks for your contribution!
Reply Quote
I have a 43.2 LpSS Shenlong's, and I used to pair it with Transcendence for 105.2 LpSS. I loved it, even though my only sources were mantra spam and the occasional SW reactivation for 7500 life. I use Beacon now because I'm using Ascension and FitL (and potions), but I agree that Beacon and Big T provide roughly equal utility.
Reply Quote
In the PTR I am face tanking azmodan MP 6 with just LpSS and minor LoH.With the buffs to the spirit spenders damage in the new patch it makes the ability much more viable as a source of healing.I think my profile is up to date now and this is what I am using with minor variations for PvP and MP play.With this style of play bells or any +30 spirit spender works as a potion to be used at your free will as long as you can regenerate the spirit. (To me this is the tricky part) Balance between LpSS and spirit regeneration are KEY!! No sense driving a sports car if you don't have the gas to put in it....
On a side bar note in PvP its very hard to take down a monk that is generating 15+ spirit per second and droping bells every 1.5-3 seconds, almost as fast as the animation will alow and has 172+ LpSS
Reply Quote
View profile
love it!! gooooo alternative sustain!!!!
Reply Quote
In the PTR I am face tanking azmodan MP 6 with just LpSS and minor LoH.With the buffs to the spirit spenders damage in the new patch it makes the ability much more viable as a source of healing.I think my profile is up to date now and this is what I am using with minor variations for PvP and MP play.With this style of play bells or any +30 spirit spender works as a potion to be used at your free will as long as you can regenerate the spirit. (To me this is the tricky part) Balance between LpSS and spirit regeneration are KEY!! No sense driving a sports car if you don't have the gas to put in it....
On a side bar note in PvP its very hard to take down a monk that is generating 15+ spirit per second and droping bells every 1.5-3 seconds, almost as fast as the animation will alow and has 172+ LpSS

Seriously cant wait for v1.07, at first it looked like simple number buffs but these dmg buffs end up opening so many paths and especially for someone who uses LpSS! It's a good time to be a monk. Talking of wich, have they given a date for patch deployment??
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/30/2013 8:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 08:28 AMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy
Seriously cant wait for v1.07, at first it looked like simple number buffs but these dmg buffs end up opening so many paths and especially for someone who uses LpSS! It's a good time to be a monk. Talking of wich, have they given a date for patch deployment??

I agree with this, as I've found a couple DPS-angled combos that will work for me on the PTR but do not currently work on 1.0.6. Even without incorporating spirit spenders. It's kinda weird, really.
Reply Quote
@Vrkhyz any news about a release date for the patch?
Reply Quote
LpSS is the best, I used it since I first got into inferno around release, 2H daibo with 2SPS and 40+LpSS. Of course now, its a different story, finding a daibo that matches the DPS on a skorn, let alone one with both spirit regen and LpSS is a dream. I think a great buff would be to allow Daibo's to roll double the spirit regen(5) and LpSS(128), its not like we a have a base regen rate as the some of the other classes do. Should be a legendary shield that rolls 50-100 of it as well.

My original set up was a 890dps, 200dex, 300LoH, 61.5LpSS fist coupled with transcendence roughly 1k Life regen, and IAS. I got to around ~2.4APS with Enchantress, my spirit was always full, dropping bells or spamming conviction, was able to run up to mp7 but was handicapped in other MP's with only 75kdps.

The PvP Update Blog said that 1.0.7 is set to drop after the new year, I was under the impression this meant Jan/Feb, unless he was just referring to the PTR, maybe a couple of weeks from now?
Reply Quote
Personally I think Jay's release might impact the timing of the release, especially with all the negative feedback regarding what they currently have implemented on the PTR. I think we might see a rather drawn out PTR period because of it.

Then again, that's just me being hopeful so who knows.
Reply Quote
I've been looking forward to this guide. :D Great read, Fuzzy.

I remember spending a few agonizing days deciding between LpSS and LoH in the early days. LpSS won out because of price and the ability to heal even when not in combat.

Fast forward about 7 months and I'm still using LpSS in some form or other. I can honestly say I'd be hard pressed to give it up. What's better than seeing that health globe fill up while spamming Overawe? (Shhhh.... let's not talk about that life globe spiraling down against RD elites and no mantra spam. LOL! It'll soon be moot with 1.0.7.)

I do have either 2.5 or 2.8 LS depending on which main fist I use. I do need to find an Inna's helm with LpSS, but haven't been willing to trade the resist on it just yet.

01/28/2013 04:27 AMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy
1) FoT/Quickening VS. FoT/Thunderclap - This is one of the biggest dilemma of the build. I will let each individual decide wich generator they prefere as they both provide different advantages.

This. I love Thunderclap (!!!) and sorely miss it on high MP levels. But since I mostly play on those levels with hubby and a friend, Quickening is the clear winner to run either Transcendence or Guiding Light. Not having to hear Monk-ette's "Not enough spirit" in her dead pan monotone is an added benefit.

Ideally, I'd love to be rocking at 2.8 LS and 180 LpSS without Transcendence. But that means getting a black fist weapon with LS, LpSS, CD, OS, and dex. Does such a thing even exist?
Reply Quote
I do TR with LpSS (60) and Life After Kill (2500) as my only sources of healing. And my resists are around 180 since I dont use OWE.

Its awesomely fun, tactical playstyle, and the only thing that causes significant trouble is reflect damage (often because I hit it with WoL before noticing the affix)

LpSS is definitely not one of those "required" stats but for those of us looking for something more interesting or less expensive than the cookie-cutter builds its definitely fun to use. Tons of synergy with any type of spirit-spending build.
Edited by Duban#1965 on 1/30/2013 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Spike damage is the only real concern I have had with LpSS but, 1.07 patch has changed reflect damage with a warning aura so it just adds to the tactile play style. I was never one to want to do MP 10 (I would have rolled a Barb) I prefere the varying play style of the monk. The core set up of this style of play needs only minor changes to do different things, and is hands down the BEST ability to have in PvPThe reason for this is even if you miss the attack you have still healed LoH and LS need to make contact to reap the benifit So even when that barb (with rend) and witch doctor (with haunt) you can out last the ability as it is an extend drain One shoting is a different matter some thing that needs to be looked at with a different skill/passive I was thinking last night that how sweet it would be if the third bonus on the inna's set was an optional LpSS or spirit buff.You would think that as a step to the "ultimate sweeping winds" this would be a good 1/2 step there.....
Reply Quote

Ideally, I'd love to be rocking at 2.8 LS and 180 LpSS without Transcendence. But that means getting a black fist weapon with LS, LpSS, CD, OS, and dex. Does such a thing even exist?

Woah! Really impressed by the how much people seem to appreciate this little guide. Thanks you for your support guys!

About that fist... I know you can find one with 850~ DPS and LS, LPSS, CD, DEX and OS although they're extremely rare and far in between! Also, reflect can be a problem for sure if i try to take it head on babalarina style (especially when paired with a Horde or Molten affix) but as you said that'll soon be a thing of the past. Now that i think about it, that's another thing in 1.07 that will give a huge boost to LpSS builds!!

@Piffle; I doubt the firing of the much berated Jay Wilson will slow down the patch release process as the development decisions have already been taken and the patch content laid down on the PTR. All that's left is to balance out wichever of the changes they think needs balancing and that doesnt require the presence of a project leader AFAIK and even if it did, they could take it up upstairs for the time being.

@Wizzard; I've mentioned it briefly in my OP but as you say, it seems to me that LpSS might just be the best sustain stat for PvP. I am not playing the PTR however (being semi casual as i am, i'd rather not waste precious progression time in a test realm) and so cannot comment on it in depth. What's for sure is that i've been raving about the "DAMN BLIZZ CORPORATE LIARS WHY U NO GIMME ALL THE PvP?!!!" issue for a long time and so i will play the !@#$ out of duels when they come out... and when i do, you can be certain that i'll add a LpSS in PvP section to this guide.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/30/2013 1:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 01:32 PMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy
About that fist... I know you can find one with 850~ DPS and LS, LPSS, CD, DEX and OS although they're extremely rare and far in between!

And when they appear, they're probably impossibly pricey.

Also, reflect can be a problem for sure if i try to take it head on babalarina style (especially when paired with a Horde or Molten affix)...

ROFL!! Yeah, I suicide charge like that sometimes too....
Reply Quote
Kudos to FuzzyWuzzy for exploring LpSS. Given the often extreme pricey-ness of LS on popular monk weapons like EF and WKL, looking for LpSS as at least a partial substitute for LS makes sense. Look forward to trying it out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]