Diablo® III

Fuzzy's LpSS guide thread!

I'll estimate MP7-8 to be about the highest MP level to go without LS. Beyond which, there will be a certain breakpoint for which LS is needed as primary sustain, and LpSS or others can be secondary sustain. Reason is LS is the only life sustain mechanism that scales with our DPS.

Done it on the PTR, MP10 Ghom/Raka uber pair. Needed sweeping wind too, seems that WoL spam on its own is still not enough with dual LS (net negative life sustain without using Serenity) despite getting buffed in the PTR, and LpSS alone will not replenish life fast enough (especially with the Raka charge and little globs and dogs thrown in).

On the other hand, LpSS as secondary sustain is just sweet. Use left and right mouse click, use 1 hand to party chat, and still comfortably clear that Ghom/Raka test.

Overall good guide Fuzzy. I've always felt that LpSS is unique to Monks, just like Barbs have LS belt and passive. Only wish Blizz changes it to scale somehow to be as effective.
Reply Quote
Just to weigh in here because it's a topic that i have an interest. I recently bought a few cheap lpss + spirit regen pieces and went to A3 MP10 just to test viability. With sufficient spirit regen i could pretty much live indefinitely amongst a mass of monsters/elites in fields of slaughter.

I was running:
FoT - Thunderclap
Tempest Rush - Northern Wind
Serenity - Ascension
WoL - Empowered Wave
SW - Inner Storm
MoH - Circular Breathing

Transcendence, Exalted Soul, and Chant

Total of: 1000 LoH and 222 LpSS and 19.2 Spirit Regen (Templar)

Character stats ended up being ~4.5k Armor, 500ish AR, 76k HP and 130k DPS with SOJ

The outcome of this experiment is that i could survive pretty much as long as i wanted given that i don't facetank for too long. Therefore viable. Once my spirit got about half or 1/3 left... i'd putter around in my tempest rush til i gain back my hp and spirit before going at it again. In cookie cutter and my normal gear... i can facetank any mob indefinitely.

I think where this would shine is on a hit and run monk for pvp. Playing much like a rend and run barb. Hit serenity... spam as much !@#$ as you can within that 4 sec window and start running. Depending more on being able to out-sustain your opponents.

Thoughts?
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/31/2013 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 10:08 AMPosted by FuzzyWuzzy
@Vrkhyz any news about a release date for the patch?

No, and I'm not sure why you think I'd have any info that no one else has :)
Reply Quote

I think where this would shine is on a hit and run monk for pvp. Playing much like a rend and run barb. Hit serenity... spam as much !@#$ as you can within that 4 sec window and start running. Depending more on being able to out-sustain your opponents.

Thoughts?

I think if i had more gold i'd buy all the spirit regen items i need to run a high spirit regen/spirit spending build! It seems so much more fun than just thunderclapping endlessly.

About PvP i do believe LpSS'll be a major asset to anyone who cares to make use of it. Nothing beats burst healing in a duel situation. Quickening is much weaker than Thunderclap in a PvP though (especially against DHs) and so that might be an issue. Using Dashing Strike along with Quickening might be a solution.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/31/2013 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

This is what I have been trying to work on. The biggest problem is monk's don't have good scaling hp regen or spirit regen. The only thing we have that scales is guardian's path, but I am not really looking to dual wield. Item slots are very tight, and it is hard to have a balanced monk offensively and defensively while maintaining high spirit regen. With good life per second, spirit regen, and life per spirit spent I am very difficult for many classes to kill in PVP as I can outheal any DOT while tempest running.
Edited by Sheldor#1759 on 1/31/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Sheldor

This is what I have been trying to work on. The biggest problem is monk's don't have good scaling hp regen or spirit regen. The only thing we have that scales is guardian's path, but I am not really looking to dual wield. Item slots are very tight, and it is hard to have a balanced monk offensively and defensively while maintaining high spirit regen. With good life per second, spirit regen, and life per spirit spent I am very difficult for many classes to kill in PVP as I can outheal any DOT while tempest running.

@Sheldor
Well.. when i duelled you it seemed to me that you were spreading yourself too thin. It's true to say that you can't have it all. A healthy balance is different for each person.

To say you can outheal any DOT is a sweeping statement. Even with the best life regen, spirit regen, and lpss... it's difficult to outheal a good barb's crit Rend/Haunt/Impale. To give you an example... I was testing with Lord Joch and his crit rend hit me for 96k of my health... that's ~19k hp per sec. You can slow it down... but you won't outheal that.
Reply Quote
Yeah this is great info...thanks! I've been an on/off again user of lpss. I've always liked it but felt the natural course was to always move into more LoH or LS. I actually just dropped my FoAz with similar dps and 2.9% ls for the lpss one I have equipped. I honestly think my survival on MP4 farming is at least as good for my dps. Surely with higher dps and MP it could be different. But now I have ~180 lpss and if you figure that every time I'm LTK'ing I'm also healing for 5400 hp, that's awesome. Plus all my other spirit spending.

I think the one thing I need to get used to in relying on it is to not burn all my spirit in anticipation I might need a clutch heal because of a big hit. But that's really not a big deal it's just about a little patience and not rushing. The other thing that's sweet is I always have a way to heal if I have spirit to spend. I'm planning on sticking with it for a while until I make a major jump in dps....like another 20-40k probably (currently around 88k unbuff). And since LS is so high in demand, I was able to make a 32M profit after blizz tax on my FoAz I had been using for a while and bought my new lpss FoAz for less than 10M. I call that a big time win.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 1/31/2013 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have been trying to work these things out for a few days now, Using no spirit generator attacks and only spirit spenders LTK with a reduction of 18 (paying 12) I am able to regen about 2000 life per second,with generating 17 spirit per second ( 2 handed with vigilance) and the proper passives/runes I can eather stalemate or out last most of those brutal barbs.I did test it with some guy and it lasted over 5 min.. Now that there is that 30% across the board damage nerf I haven't worked with it (something to do tonight) Aswell as I think the inner sactuary is going to be that missing piece 8 seconds no touch and 4 seconds serenity = 12 seconds x 17 sprit regen =204 spirit % 40 (WoL) =5.1 bells untouched X 170 LpSS =34,680 life ...Starting to see the circle of life here?...
Reply Quote
View profile
Hey Fuzz,

I really enjoy this set up because it's just 'pure' fun and i believe it will make new 'waves' in the monk community. that's monk wordplay for all you..

I'm going for basically a mage monk or spirit monk, or how should we coin this term? drunken monk? since he relies on refills? any way check out my gear. I can spam like 9-10 waves pretty damn fast. i can run very fast with TR and get health by doing so. Good for xp runs for sure. dmg takes a toll, but patch 1.7 waves will do some dmg and heal you quick.
Reply Quote
Hey Fuzz,

I really enjoy this set up because it's just 'pure' fun and i believe it will make new 'waves' in the monk community. that's monk wordplay for all you..

I'm going for basically a mage monk or spirit monk, or how should we coin this term? drunken monk? since he relies on refills? any way check out my gear. I can spam like 9-10 waves pretty damn fast. i can run very fast with TR and get health by doing so. Good for xp runs for sure. dmg takes a toll, but patch 1.7 waves will do some dmg and heal you quick.

Man i love your set-up, you've got so much sustain and spirit regen! I think we'll call him the Drunken Monk cause' he always in high spirits!!!! *ba-dum-tsss*! You should try to find some ways to increase your DEX and CritChance scores, you'd easily get over 100k DPS.

I hope this thread will make some waves indeed! It's a down-to-earth, functional and inexpensive build that i feel can help a great many people, from starting fledglings looking to gear up without paying hundreds of millions to well-geared juggernauts looking to add some sustain to the mix. Also, as we've said already, when 1.07 comes around, LpSS and more largely, spirit generating/spirit spending builds will see a huge bump of their effectiveness wich'll no doubt help my little cause here.
Reply Quote

Thoughts?

hmm where did you get this hit and run idea from? lol. I do agree though that hit and run with LPSS and spirit regen will be a very powerful build. As we saw the other night, you dont have to have the highest dps/ehp to be very effective. I went out and bought a cheapy LPSS/spirit regen inna's helm that i will probably end up using in pvp once 1.07 hits.

Oh, and i am pretty sure LPSS will be far more effective in pvp than loh/ls
Edited by Tarzan#1737 on 2/1/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been a LPSS monk since I've started playing. I can play MP10 and tank MP10 ubers without any problems whatsoever.

5500+armor
820+ all resistance
56k+ HP
155k+ DPS (unbuffed)
~200 LPSS

The only problem is electrified because it cripples your spirit regeneration.

I think I have about 900k EHP and some additional LoH (about 1.5k) on me. Remember, life% heals you more HP with LPSS, since it heals per vita point and not "HP".
Reply Quote
View profile
[/quote] Man i love your set-up, you've got so much sustain and spirit regen! I think we'll call him the Drunken Monk cause' he always in high spirits!!!! *ba-dum-tsss*! You should try to find some ways to increase your DEX and CritChance scores, you'd easily get over 100k DPS.

I hope this thread will make some waves indeed! It's a down-to-earth, functional and inexpensive build that i feel can help a great many people, from starting fledglings looking to gear up without paying hundreds of millions to well-geared juggernauts looking to add some sustain to the mix. Also, as we've said already, when 1.07 comes around, LpSS and more largely, spirit generating/spirit spending builds will see a huge bump of their effectiveness wich'll no doubt help my little cause here.[/quote]

Thanks. Though, it's actually pretty difficult to get the dps up with spirit gen and lpss gear and i did a lot to get it to 80k. I think that's pretty good considering my ehp and sustain gear and 80k with 9-10 spammed bells sounds good to me. BTW I just got an inna's with lpss and spirit gen on it today too, so pretty happy i got it for the low price of 30mil.

All you sober monks, go get gear while it's happy hour, cus soon it'll be last call for alcohol. ^^
Reply Quote
View profile
and i do like the idea of a hit and run drunk... but seriously dont drink and TR. it's not safe.
Reply Quote
I got my LpSS/Spirit Regen Innas Radiance a few months ago for 500k.

My best snipe? Probably.
Reply Quote
I've been a LPSS monk since I've started playing. I can play MP10 and tank MP10 ubers without any problems whatsoever.

5500+armor
820+ all resistance
56k+ HP
155k+ DPS (unbuffed)
~200 LPSS

The only problem is electrified because it cripples your spirit regeneration.

I think I have about 900k EHP and some additional LoH (about 1.5k) on me. Remember, life% heals you more HP with LPSS, since it heals per vita point and not "HP".

Wow! Really nice to see someone who's taken a different direction than me! We get real similar stats and skills but you it seems you went LpSS/LoH where i went LpSS/LS. Your Shenlong's FoP is really over the top! Wish i could afford one like that.
Reply Quote
someone that didn't wanted to blow their own horn pointed me this way lol

what do you guys think of a balance form of healing, like having a bit of everything instead of stacking on the highest of one thing?

I got
61.8 LPSS
1096 LOH
2.8 LS
568 Life Regen per Seconds – going to get a vile ward for additional 200-300 once 1.07 invisible dyes comes out, I visually detest it on my monk .. totaly ruin her looks for me >_<

I think this way you can gain life no matter what you do.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
someone that didn't wanted to blow their own horn pointed me this way lol

what do you guys think of a balance form of healing, like having a bit of everything instead of stacking on the highest of one thing?

I got
61.8 LPSS
1096 LOH
2.8 LS
568 Life Regen per Seconds – going to get a vile ward for additional 200-300 once 1.07 invisible dyes comes out, I visually detest it on my monk .. totaly ruin her looks for me >_<

I think this way you can gain life no matter what you do.

Thoughts?

Its interesting but dont you suffer from the typical "Jack of all trades, master of none" problematic? Like, with your sustain so spread out like this, how much efficiency do you lose?

What MP level can you sustain ? What affixes make force you to kite?

I'm just really curious :)

PS: Blowing horns is totally cool with me.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 2/4/2013 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't know, but I like to spread out sustain to different areas... the diversification allows you to gain healing from different sources during the course of combat.

I love LpSS, but on it's own, it forces you into a spirit spending type of playstyle. That's not a bad thing, but the ability to gain spirit quickly and making effective use of spirit dumpers during combat would be a key component of a monk that solely relies on LpSS. On the other hand, LS actually allows you to sustain without spending any spirit during combat, and the life return would be less spikey in nature. Unfortunately, it also forces you into tanking or remaining in combat in order to gain life back.

So with LS (or LoH for that matter), if you aren't attacking (or attacking anything immune or shielded), you aren't healing; with LpSS, you can find a way to dump 150 spirit (and it doesn't have to be attack based), and get 30K life back if you have pop 3 mantras and have 200 LpSS (which is possible with gear and Transcendance).

If you actually have both, you can recover life in combat and spirit spend if you wish. You can essentially choose when to spam any mantra according to your health levels, not just according to when you need to overawe buff, as an example. It allows you to flex in your playstyle. So for me, I'm all for using multiple forms of sustain and making use of different forms during combat. Personally, I'm using LS and LpSS in combination and I think it generally works for me. The ultimate would be also to include a huge bonus to health globes and health potions to boot, as that would complete the "healing trifecta" for me. :)
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Nameless
It allows you to flex in your playstyle.

^this is my answer to you fuzzywuzzy
MP5 right now but I haven't push higher with my new shenlong's yet
mp7 if I do some manual gear swap, but I equip a fast dagger and shield and focusing on high LOH

@Namless,
yeah I forgot about the extra health from globe = P
I still remember your guide and yeah I have a + 10K HGB on a ring of mine which
I think i'll take it out to lower my dps and do harder content
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]