Diablo® III

My barb needs work

So it's come to my attention that I quit Diablo 3 too early.. my barb apparently is really bad. (He was called low-class today.) I'm not happy until i can at least be called middle-class.

For the record, I usually run with a WW+HOTA hybrid. In other words the Sprint - RLTW build but with Hammer of the Anceints for sniping single targets (I usually sub out my defense buff skill for HOTA instead)

My profile I think is the right one, if you see sunkeeper in my hand that's not the right gear, that's my MF setup.

What direction should I take my barb in? How much do I have to spend to make him a good bit better than he is? I'm not sure if prices fell on stuff like my IK pieces if those can be swapped out cheaply now?

I know my pants probably the #1 thing I need to upgrade, or my amulet.

Also in regards to my amulet... can I sub that out safely? I'm not sure how my barb will handle losing 900 of his LoH but then again I have life steal on both weapons + belt so maybe he'll still be fine?

I'm told I need a lot more IAS and an Echoing Fury, problem is I'm not PURE Whirlwind.. I do like HOTA too.. so do I really need that much more IAS?
Reply Quote
I'm asking you guys for help and you're ignoring me -_-
Reply Quote
As always I'll start with this.

Read PhatPhoEater's guide:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593621248

Read UberJager's Guide:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592639226

Start there.

Next, you have a fair few gearing changes to make. This would be a lot easier if you would detail what kind of budget you're looking at, or how much you'd be willing to save.

I'll run through this pretty quick as I'm sure better barbs will give you far more detailed information than I either have time for or am capable of providing.

You need MS. Currently you have none. If you want to run ww effectively you will need at least 12% on 2 pieces for 24%MS. This is very necessary. Most common places to get it are either Lacuni with Inna or Lacuni with boots.

Next, you have virtually no ias stacked. You need a lot more than you're rolling. Read the guides I listed and they will explain in detail why this is important.

Your weapons aren't terrible but they also aren't super effective. Again this is covered in the guides posted.

You mention being wary of taking the ammy out. The LOH is negligible given the amount of LS you're rolling so that's not something you should be worried about. Get a new one with at least 2 of ias/cc/cd and then str or vit, or both if you can affort and res if possible.

Get rid of your pants, use either a high end rare str/vit/res socket or depth diggers. Don't jump straight to Inna's, you might run into sustain issues that will be hard to come back from.

- More str needed on IK belt
- Gloves are ok but you only REALLY need the 2 piece set so you can swap them for trifectas if you want. Otherwise you can keep, they're not that bad.
- IK chest is fine but upgrade for higher vit eventually.
- The IC's are ok but as mentioned you might run into issues depending on your other gear choices.
- Keep the Mempo, it's fine for now.
- Shoulders are fine but a little on the light side for vit though vit isn't your biggest issue right now.

That should get you started, I'm sure more people will pop in to offer their 2 cents. Sorry this was just a quick and dirty assessment, I'm fairly swamped right now in work but I'll be back another time to see how things are heading for you.

Enjoy!
Reply Quote
you should have at least 34%cc from gear
your pants is ok, your amulet and belt are terrible.
gloves can be better, but that can easily take few hundred mil away from you.
your boots looks more like a monk/DH boots.
strongarm bracer is bad for melee because of the chance to push back.
when you get echoing fury, put it in your offhand so you proc fear less. or you can get cold stone of jordan to compensate the fear.
Edited by Violentine#1122 on 1/28/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
You can get a substantially bigger budget simply by selling all of those perfect and radiant star gems. Yes, they're pieces that hold their value and are always useful, but they're wasted on the rest of your gear.

Whether whirlwind or HotA, your attack speed and crit chance are far too low to effectively maintain fury. You need to replace all of your jewelry and your gloves.

I don't think it's time to start thinking about a Stone of Jordan yet. Your gear needs too much work to execute your build properly first.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/28/2013 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
You can get a substantially bigger budget simply by selling all of those perfect and radiant star gems. Yes, they're pieces that hold their value and are always useful, but they're wasted on the rest of your gear.

Whether whirlwind or HotA, your attack speed and crit chance are far too low to effectively maintain fury. You need to replace all of your jewelry and your gloves.

I don't think it's time to start thinking about a Stone of Jordan yet. Your gear needs too much work to execute your build properly first.

I have absolutely no trouble keeping my fury up. In Wrath of the Berserker I have 56% crit chance.
Edited by Paz#1827 on 1/28/2013 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
So basically what I'm getting from this is I need more IAS and movespeed
Edited by Paz#1827 on 1/28/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Yeah like the other guy said, your gems aren't really optimizing your char...

The gems in your pants and chest...are worth more than your pants and chest.
Reply Quote
That's still one of the dumbest ideas I've heard.. why sell the gems? Whatever I buy to replace my pants and chest will also have sockets, too. So selling the gems sounds like a really, really stupid idea.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Paz
I'm asking you guys for help and you're ignoring me -_-

no offense dude, but every other thread is asking the same thing you are.

also, you have life steal on both weapons. i would switch the IK belt out for a witching hour if you want a big DPS boost. A good witching hour is expensive though.

you will lose some resists which sucks, but a good witching hour will make you more happy
Edited by GreyWolfSif#1556 on 1/29/2013 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 07:56 AMPosted by Paz
That's still one of the dumbest ideas I've heard.. why sell the gems? Whatever I buy to replace my pants and chest will also have sockets, too. So selling the gems sounds like a really, really stupid idea.

Maybe because all of your gear combined is worth under 50M (and that's being generous), and your gems are worth over 100M? What do I know though, I guess it's much smarter to spend 25M+ on a radiant star emerald for an extra 12 strength over a star than to spend 10M to get 100 more on your belt.

Can't put it any better than this:

01/28/2013 10:45 PMPosted by doctaphilly
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/29/2013 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
PAZ!!!!

I'm glad you decided to come to the barb forums for some help! I could tell you were starting to get frustrated based upon your posts in the general forums.

There is so much information here! You will reinvigorate your passion to make your barb better and I'm sure you will just enjoy the game a lot more.

Welcome!
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 10:29 AMPosted by silverfire

Maybe because all of your gear combined is worth under 50M (and that's being generous), and your gems are worth over 100M? What do I know though, I guess it's much smarter to spend 25M+ on a radiant star emerald for an extra 12 strength over a star than to spend 10M to get 100 more on your belt.

Can't put it any better than this:

I'd take you a lot more seriously if your gear wasn't even worse than mine and you're trying to talk down on me. Kid my gear is worth more than 50M combined. Nice try though.

Anyone else want to help without being a condescending douche? What is better to get movement speed.. Innas or boots? My Ice Climbers give me a lot of HP. I'm already low on vit as it is. But Innas looks so damn ugly on a barb
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 09:46 PMPosted by Paz
So basically what I'm getting from this is I need more IAS and movespeed

01/28/2013 04:19 PMPosted by Paz
I'm told I need a lot more IAS and an Echoing Fury, problem is I'm not PURE Whirlwind.. I do like HOTA too.. so do I really need that much more IAS?

So Hybrid Hota builds are extremely tricky to gear for. Most super effective Hota/rend builds rock a Skorn with tons of IAS.

If you are trying to do a hybrid then it will be tricky but can be done. I would suggest upgrading a piece at a time and not trying to bite off too much. This gearing game takes patience to ensure you don't make bad gearing decisions.

I use d3up.com to simulate all gearing changes prior to actually buying a piece of gear from the AH. This way it prevents you from buyers remorse and makes sure you get the most value for your gold. It think I gave you my thoughts in the general forums.

Overall it seems your EHP is pretty good. The trick is maintaining that while swapping out other pieces. For the most part I agree with Punxx assessment. Those articles he linked are GOLD and will really educate you on the WW build. There is SOOO much that i'm still learning!

Attack speed is definitely one of those things that should be stacked. In your case you are using axes (one with an attack speed buff) which makes it to where you don't need as much. However if you are going to a Hota/Rend build you will need to seriously stack IAS as it directly effects the ability speed. Also echoing fury's are great because it makes dual maces viable. It is important to look for high APS EFs when looking though...don't skimp on price and end up with a .21 EF. Maces have strong average damage (true damage not buffed by Attack Speed) which will ring through to each of your sprint tornadoes.

Read those articles and good luck man!

I'm glad you decided to give the game another chance...

glhf! :D
Reply Quote
View profile
Your biggest problem is IAS. You have one slot of IAS. For WW to be efficient you should aim for 4 slots (no less than 8 IAS per slot, try to get 2 slots that are 9 IAS) plus a .24 APS Echoing Fury. That will put you at or above 2.5/2.5 BPs with WOTB up. The best places to get your other 3 slots of IAS will be bracers (lacunis, so you can also hit your MS cap) gloves and one ring.

You will want to replace your offhand with a str/LS/socket .24+ APS EF. DPS is not very important in the offhand for WW but it is for HOTA, so whether or not you spend for DPS is up to you. If you spend a little extra to get 9 IAS in most of your slots you will probably be able to use a lower APS EF, but beware: if you later decide to upgrade your MH to a mace, you will need a minimum of 2x 8 IAS 2x 9 IAS and .24 APS to hit the same breakpoints.

Just looking at the general quality of your gear there are a few pieces you will want to replace. Your belt is bargain basement. Spend some cash on a 180+ str, 70 vit (or 8+ life%) IK belt, they are not that expensive. Next, replace your amulet, you don't necessarily need armor on it but you do want 9+ crit and 50+ CD at your gear level. Str and/or avg damage should be on your new one as well, both if you can afford it. I would sell those Ice Climbers, they are pretty poor for a barb. Just spend a little on some high VIT IK strides (140+ vit), they will cost 10m or so but that + lacunis will cap your MS and allow you to drop IK gloves for rares if you want and still keep 2/3pc bonuses.

IK gloves are doable in this case but they need to be IAS. If you get IK boots then I'd just drop IK gloves for rares and get a strong bifecta, 8-9 IAS, 9+ CC, high str and vit.
Reply Quote
What is better to get movement speed.. Innas or boots? My Ice Climbers give me a lot of HP. I'm already low on vit as it is. But Innas looks so damn ugly on a barb

Currently most people would say that BiS movement speed comes from Lacuni's with Crit and Inna's. However, in order to prevent the lost of crazy EHP (which is the case for you) you would have to change out some of your other pieces to compensate.

I would say your IC are the last thing you have to worry about. I would aim for a better IK chest with atleast 160 vit (the more you can afford the better obviously) and maybe try to get the same shoulders you have with %life stat. That will greatly help your overall EHP.

Your gear is not ready for Inna's yet (hell I think mine still barely is but I am working to resolve that).

Your core EHP comes from Shoulders, Chest, and combination of Boots/Pants/Belt. Most other pieces are reserved for pure EDPS gains. Keep that in mind when gearing.

EDIT: Lol TexasDan said to dump the boots...but I still think that you have bigger holes in other places. Up to you. Remember there is not really a wrong answer and the only place we are trying to help you go is up. :D

EDIT: Damn looked at those IC's again and MAAAAN that's a lot of dexterity! You could get great money for those from a monk. Probably enough to gear you out decently!!!!!
Edited by Prisus#1338 on 1/29/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ah, I hadn't thought about IK boots. I still lose a bit HP though compared to climbers. I guess that's unavoidable
Reply Quote

I'd take you a lot more seriously if your gear wasn't even worse than mine and you're trying to talk down on me. Kid my gear is worth more than 50M combined. Nice try though.

There is a lot of good advice already given to you in this thread. You came asking for help, now you're just fuming when the advice apparently isn't what you want to hear. You can think whatever you want about my gear. We're not here to compare e-peens. (Or are we?)

I don't know why I'm bothering, but I'll answer your question anyways. As texasdan said, you'll want movement speed in your lacunis and most likely your boots. Ice climbers without MS but with beefy stats synergize well with Inna's, because Inna's are weak on primary stats, whereas Ice Climbers are huge on them. Proper Inna's need high str+vit or high vit, and they don't come cheap, same for 200+ str/vit Ice Climbers. The other problem with Inna's is that you're usually dropping a very precious slot of AR which then needs to be made up somewhere undesirable, in your jewelry, gloves or bracers.

The more straightforward route is to just get MS on your boots to begin with, and then choose between MS Ice Climbers+ rare pants or inna's+non-MS ice climbers for (near)endgame gear.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/29/2013 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]