Diablo® III

1.07 and Wizard how is it?

After taking a few months off since the original CM nerf my hands keyboard macro key is all but worn off and I have no desire to return to CM.

I saw the 1.07 preview and the skills I LOVED using prior, Arcane Orb, Blizzard, and even shock pulse were said to get damage buffs. I can't seem to find the exact percentages at the moment but was wondering if they are worthwhile now?

I would love to return to a heavy APoC Arcane Orb, Blizard, Hydra or even Shock Pulse, Orb, Hydra or any of the combinations that don't have CM based into it.
Reply Quote
well i have heard that orb is still useless (i mean it does dmg but as far as apoc it is bad because of the downtime while it travels). hydra should be decent for pvp i know im using it, and as far as CM based specs, with the way itemisation currently works (CC/CD are top dps stats) puting CM in your build is almost always a good idea.

ps on as side not im looking into a spectral blade / ice armor rof freezing /tanking build now since my WD freind got a dps upgrade i usualy end up tanking in higher MP and i love the feel of frost spells.
Reply Quote
That's my main issue with these CM specs.

It turns a wizard into a tank, which shouldn't even be allowed, I realize its a "clever use of mechanics" and within the game guidelines but blizzard should nerf it straight to the ground. We aren't a class that is designed to take these hits, period.

If I wanted to be in melee range doing CM spells like explosive blast and having my shield up i'd be a frackin monk or barb, but i want high damage high death.

I want to spam by orb or shock pulse and just melt !@#$ from range. And even then CC/CD would still be top of my priority list. It just seems dealing with CM blizzard has lost track of where the Wizard class should be. I don't give a %^-* if I die 1000 times a day if I can one shot/2 shot or do some serious freakin damage i'd easily trade survivability thats why we have merc and parties available, and we can use shields if need be.
Reply Quote
I think you're right. CM/WW while powerful is not only holding the wizard class back as a whole, but dampening the depth of boss mechanics in the game. While the rage of wizard players would near explode through our computer screens, it should be reworked.

Honestly, try a living lighting/blizzard/meteor spec. It is slightly less button mashing, good dps, and quite satisfying to look at.
Edited by Treegun#1311 on 1/29/2013 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
That's my main issue with these CM specs.

It turns a wizard into a tank, which shouldn't even be allowed, I realize its a "clever use of mechanics" and within the game guidelines but blizzard should nerf it straight to the ground. We aren't a class that is designed to take these hits, period.

That's correct. Wizards should be glass cannons that deal massive AOE damage. But..

1) Do we have decent AOE spells? NO
2) Do we do massive damage? NO
3) Can we dish massive AOE damage? HELL NO

Sure, we do 'good' AOE damage. But so does every other class - and they have better mitigation compared to wizards (sans perma-freeze). Take CM away and we'd be severely gimped compared to the rest. I'm not saying CM should be left the way it is now. What I'm saying is if they nerf CM, they better buff us enough to turn us into massive AOE glass cannons. Otherwise, the wizard will just end up as glass - and no cannon. A glass BB gun, maybe
Reply Quote
That's what I'm saying, and what Treegun is saying. This class is not designed to do what CM allows us to do. It would be very good spell if we had more spells that allowed for it, currently Archon is the only one that properly uses CM, and that's not even totally right. It's a high damage large cooldown spell that CM allows us to reduce. We only have that one. If we had other options CM should be limited to those types of spells. Because it works on the shield we are turned into tanks.

Wizards should only need these defensive spells, shield or nova maybe teleport, if they are unable to otherwise escape not to run into the middle of the fight. However, we are currently forced to because Arcane Orb, Hydra, Blizzard are not up to par and from what I have read even in 1.07 aren't enough increases. The damage we do needs to be drastically increased on those spells while adjusting the spells, not CM, to decrease CM viability. Increase the damage our shield absorbs significantly while increasing the cooldown 15-30 seconds. Increase the cost of Explosive blast while allowing it do wider range with a DoT. Simple easy changes to those spells would allow CM to be usable for it's intended purpose, possibly increasing the use of Shield and Blast in other specs.

These would dismantle the CM spec in it's current form while returning the Wizard to an actual ranged Damage dealer.
Reply Quote
If I wanted to be in melee range doing CM spells like explosive blast and having my shield up i'd be a frackin monk or barb, but i want high damage high death

I think you want to talk to the couple of designers who created the class and skill set then because many of our skills are centered around the wizard and melee-range or mid-range.

You're saying critical mass/permafreeze is within game mechanics and then it isn't:

This class is not designed to do what CM allows us to do.

I didn't play CM, I played archon and had a cm gear set, and I see how brilliantly the build worked around critical mass. I don't understand why you think the wizard is not doing what the passive critical mass allows it to do. I think it works too well.
Reply Quote
I don't agree. Were we wizards glass cannons? Yes, we were back to the days in Patch 1.02. That's why wizard was the first to kill the inferno diablo. Should we still be glass cannon now? It depends. If you love this playstyle, just do it. One of the best things in diablo 3 is you can always use the build you like. However, the skills were designed in this way that we can figure out a "tanking" build now with a dps coefficient greater than 7 even 8 and some us of like this style. Why shouldn't it exist? Currently, no other classes can provide such support in a team play. When those melee classes cannot be a effective tank to drag all monsters, our wizards stand out to carry the burden. Our contribution to the team is indispensable, but you say we should get rid of this build?
Reply Quote
I'm thoroughly enjoying the newly buffed Blizzard and Living Lightning. I agree that Arcane Orb is still underwhelming, but that's due more to the actual mechanics of the skill than the damage itself- it's simply outclassed in just about every way by Meteor which does more damage, has a higher proc coefficient and an often shorter travel time to the target location.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]