Diablo® III

Now I understand why Diablo 3 is a bad game

I was one of the people who waited for years for Diablo 2 then waited even longer for Diablo 3. When error37gate happened, even though I'd taken time off work I stayed calm, I remembered how unplayable Realm servers were during D2 launch. I played for many weeks, then stopped. I didn't come to some grand conclusion about the game, I just slowly stopped logging in. This is far worse than hating a game, after all, the opposite of love is indifference. That is truly how I ended up feeling about Diablo 3, indifferent.

It wasn't until I started playing Path of Exile that I realized everything I didn't like about Diablo 3. The biggest problem is the auction house and gold as currency. Diablo 2 was amazing because there was no true currency, the game was about finding awesome items and trading them for other awesome items. It fostered community and gave the game a great feel, as Path of Exile does now. Diablo 3 "feels" empty and cold. You farm gold to buy items on auction house to farm more gold to buy more items.

The other issue is class customization. Diablo 3 offers almost no real choices in character customization. You get to max level, you can swap around stuff at will but in the end you're probably only using one or two "viable" builds. One Wizard is no different from the next Wizard, except in gear choices, which are not generally choices but a treadmill of item level. Diablo 2 offered you hundreds of points of customization through stat points and skill points, Path of Exile has almost 1400 different choices.

Path of Exile feels how I wanted Diablo 3 to feel. It is much more of a true sequel to Diablo 2 than the current state of Diablo 3. I'm really really really hoping that the Diablo 3 devs will look at what GGG has accomplished with just a small team and learn from it. It's not too late to save Diablo 3 with an expansion that removes the Auction House and adds a real ingame community.
Reply Quote
diablo 3 i have yet to get one drop that sells over 100m. you grind and grind and grind for mediocre items, and when you get a legendary, you can't even get excited for that anymore as you still have to get a good roll. to upgrade you have to spend money or gold, and that progress is sloooowwwwwwwwww........

diablo 3 = plain boring, and the d3 community is PART of the problem, not just Blizzard.
Reply Quote
lol think after the 100th poe is true d2 blah blah we get it.
Reply Quote
D2 was also made by a small group of ppl that knew what they were doing.

D3 is like the shooters CoD series. Way worse then the ones before them, Counter-Strike 1.6 etc. And full with hackers ruining the game.
Small updates made once a year to keep the $$$ comming in.

And guess what else D3 and CoD got in common? Activ....

Edit: Ah yeah, they're both made for consoles aswell.
Edited by Palten#2228 on 1/29/2013 3:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Here we go again with the poe vs diablo thread lol.

Diablo 3 is unique as is every other game out there.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

If you dont like it dont play it
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Palten
And full with hackers ruining the game.

And you believe POE is not going to be hacked... or any online game for that matter....
Reply Quote
D2 was also made by a small group of ppl that knew what they were doing.

D3 is like the shooters CoD series. Way worse then the ones before them, Counter-Strike 1.6 etc. And full with hackers ruining the game.
Small updates made once a year to keep the $$$ comming in.

And guess what else D3 and CoD got in common? Activ....

Edit: Ah yeah, they're both made for consoles aswell.

I don't believe this, I really think the Diablo 3 team is committed to making the game better. I just don't know if they're willing to change the game as drastically as it needs to be changed. Switching from RMAH to Micro transactions is a big change.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:33 PMPosted by ezcompany
you can't even get excited for that anymore as you still have to get a good roll.

What is great about no gold in POE is one of the currency orbs will reroll unique stats, so when you find that legendary with a crap roll you can reroll it.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Subject
And you believe POE is not going to be hacked... or any online game for that matter....

Sure it will, but it wont destroy the game like it did with D3 etc.

Since there's no gold. And finding your own loot while playing is indeed possible, no need to check the AH for upgrades every 10th level.
Reply Quote
70 Human Warrior
the only hack i can see ppl doing in poe is duping 6 slot linked armor and leveling services. thats it. In order to have whats called a good item, it HAS to fit your build/play style. The only way to get those types of items is using orbs/gems to modify it over and over again until it fits your character or gets really close to it. Good luck doing that on a bot.

and not everyone wants a 6 linked amror. they may want 2 sets of 3 so mana cost doesnt get to high, or even 3 sets of 2, or 6 sets of 1 sockets for auras
Edited by madbrownkid#1134 on 1/29/2013 3:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
"Now I understand why Diablo 3 is a bad game"

Then dont play it.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:42 PMPosted by Adenhart
I don't believe this, I really think the Diablo 3 team is committed to making the game better. I just don't know if they're willing to change the game as drastically as it needs to be changed. Switching from RMAH to Micro transactions is a big change.

I don't know. I hope so.

But considering the game is nowhere near fixed now, and the 1.07 patch pretty much solves nothing.

PvP duelling after 8 months, really? Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch even if it wasn't balanced correctly would still have been better.

And new BoA crafting as a goldsink which will only hurt the poor casual players isn't really a great fix either.
Reply Quote
I realized it when I went back and played D2, but then, when I recently played PoE, the point hit home even harder.

PoE: Shoddy Combat - Everything else is interesting. (Just like D2)

D3: Amazingly smooth combat - Everything else is boooooring.

If only we could combine both games somehow....
Reply Quote
the only hack i can see ppl doing in poe is duping 6 slot linked armor and leveling services. thats it. In order to have whats called a good item, it HAS to fit your build/play style. The only way to get those types of items is using orbs/gems to modify it over and over again until it fits your character or gets really close to it. Good luck doing that on a bot.

and not everyone wants a 6 linked amror. they may want 2 sets of 3 so mana cost doesnt get to high, or even 3 sets of 2, or 6 sets of 1 sockets for auras

Indeed, and those currencies to do that you could easily just farm yourself. No need to buy those really =)
Reply Quote
hmm, i wouldn't want d3 to be an exact clone of d2, cause i'd rather play d2 in that case ( best game of all time ofc :) )

there's actually alot of builds you can play around with.
agree with the AH tho. ( but it does have it's upside )
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Plutarch
Can't tell if serious...

Why wouldn't I be serious?
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Palten
D3 is like the shooters CoD series. Way worse then the ones before them, Counter-Strike 1.6 etc.

Off-topic tidbit: The original Counter Strike wasn't even made by a formal dev team. It was just another mod of Halflife created by amateur fans of the game. It was so spectacular that the Half Life team took it over and improved it. That proves the power community and small, enthusiastic development teams can have.

The same happened with Diablo 2, in my opinion. It was created by a (fairly) small group of enthusiastic developers, albeit professional ones. They were given their own creative freedom and the result was fantastic (after a few years of fixes, mind you).

Blizzard has become a corporate empire full of suits who micromanage game decisions. This is the problem. When your focus consists of only maximum ROI and monetization, creative vision becomes an after thought.
Edited by Slappy#1530 on 1/29/2013 5:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:28 PMPosted by Adenhart
The other issue is class customization. Diablo 3 offers almost no real choices in character customization. You get to max level, you can swap around stuff at will but in the end you're probably only using one or two "viable" builds. One Wizard is no different from the next Wizard, except in gear choices, which are not generally choices but a treadmill of item level. Diablo 2 offered you hundreds of points of customization through stat points and skill points, Path of Exile has almost 1400 different choices.

I disagree. I've come up with many viable builds while grinding for loot with my wizard. Sure, I'm not going to do MP10 with any of them, but I don't need to, nor do I want to, and it's common knowledge that MP0-2 is best for farming, which is what I'm doing.

Anyway, there are a lot of builds if you're inclined to try your hand at coming up with one.

And if you're talking about each node in PoE being a choice then that choice is about as meaningful as the gems you put in your gear in Diablo 3, stats essentially. The bigger passives in PoE represent real, meaningful choice, and there is only a handful of those.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 1/29/2013 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Off-topic tidbit: The original Counter Strike wasn't even made by a formal dev team. It was just another mod of Halflife created by amateur fans of the game. It was so spectacular that the Half Life team took it over and improved it. That proves the power community and small, enthusiastic development teams can have.

The same happened with Diablo 2, in my opinion. It was created by a (fairly) small group of enthusiastic developers, albeit professional ones. They were given their own creative freedom and the result was fantastic (after a few years of fixes, mind you).

Blizzard has become a corporate empire full of suits who micromanage game decisions. This is the problem. When your focus consists of only maximum ROI and monetization, creative vision becomes an after thought.

Ah knew it was from Half-Life, didn't know how small the group was that started CS thou. =)

Yes indeed, I fully agree.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]