Diablo® III

+Armor is underrated?

01/30/2013 09:18 AMPosted by twinsbuster
I don't understand how can you reach 6k armor without STI and shield.

Well, for monks, you'd need to do it with one or the other, IMO. I come within a hair of 6K armor with STI without a shield if I lose some LpSS in my Inna's helm. I continue to believe that STI will need to stay on the bar for higher MP level farming (and can be taken off at lower levels) if you have adequate armor without it. I'm around 4800 armor without STI when I equip my Inna's helm with +armor (it's paired with my ruby gem for my XP runs).
Reply Quote
personally on the defensive side of things i'm a believer in the dex + vit > armor/str/resist once you get to a certain base level of armor and resistance....say 5-6k and 500-600 respectfully. I've gained far more EHP and actual survivability (measured in terms of me being able to move up in MP) from adding more vit.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:18 AMPosted by twinsbuster
I don't understand how can you reach 6k armor without STI and shield.

As an example, I'm logged out in my more defensive set up right now. Before I got my Tal Rasha chest, I had a rare chest with armor and Str and had about 720AR / 7200 armor at one point, I think. Probably just shy of 6K without STI:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Demiwraith-1534/hero/3500618

I'm going dual LS + LoH amulet, so I'm only hitting about 106K DPS. I think I could hit 150K or more DPS with just some (expensive) upgrades to jewelery and weapons, (for example, my off hand is only 827 DPS).

Anyway, ditching STI and/or OWE is always an idea in the back of my mind, but unless I hit the lottery, I don't think I'm going to be getting there anytime soon. It's too expensive, and other than maybe Fleet-Footed I'm not seeing much benefit to doing so. Spend massive amounts of gold to be able to use a different denfensive passive? Just never seems worth it until you literally have nothing else to spend your gold on.
Reply Quote
@Nameless's post is exactly the nail hitting to the right spot of my feeling about the discussion.

While looking at how many VIT, we also need to take into consideration on how many life we heal basing on various skills.

Breath of Heaven, for example with Circle of Life Rune, only heals 8063-9675 hp per spam.
Mantra of healing with Sustenance rune gets 610 hp per seconds.
Mantra of healing with Boon of Inspiration rune gets 310 hp per seconds + 186hp per hit.
Estimated Life Steal of 5% dealing 200k damage heals 2k hp.
sweeping wind blade storm dealing 60% damage so 1.2k hp healing on SW.
Serenity Peaceful repose heals 6202-7752 hp.

summarize the above common healing method I deduce that average healing per second are about 10-15k.
Like what @Nameless mentioned, having low HP means you got heal to max health in less time. My 38k hp takes a serenity + 2-3 hit (with SW on) from red (I assume it is 10%??) to max with 5.5%LS+969LoH @ 100k dps dealing about 200k damage average.

What I want to find out is what are the armor+AR mitigation can be beneficial rather than pumping VIT to a high levels (and all of us should be aware that VIT roll items are popular pick among all the classes and the price won't be low)

How much healing needed for someone with 50k++ health? Can anyone shed some light?
Reply Quote
What I want to find out is what are the armor+AR mitigation can be beneficial rather than pumping VIT to a high levels (and all of us should be aware that VIT roll items are popular pick among all the classes and the price won't be low)How much healing needed for someone with 50k++ health? Can anyone shed some light?

all u need to do is play around with the equipment u have or borrow for tests
then u have to ask yourself if u intend to faceroll or kite abit.

for example :

make kill siegebreaker mp10 ( since RD is the most problematic thing now 1.06)

equip gear and play around with the armor / resists / LOH / LS

if u dont gain HP , toggle till u get a hp gain on siegebreaker.

thats when u know its enough :)
Reply Quote
I've got Inna's Pants with +275 armor if anyone's interested in buying.
Reply Quote
Armor on gear is expensive the higher armor your gear generally the higher it costs.
Stacking armor wont be idea for everyone just because of that reason alone.
Reply Quote
Armor on gear is expensive the higher armor your gear generally the higher it costs.
Stacking armor wont be idea for everyone just because of that reason alone.

Isn't that how every stat works?

-.-
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't think many choose armor because it is innately in every "clothing slot" while Resistance is not. A few BiS items come with +Armor ex: Vile Ward & Nats Boots plus STI being used by 99.9% of monks makes AR and/or chosen Resistance a more important prop to aquire. Also with dueling many are starting to use Tasker and Theo's for that extra armor if you don't S&B. There are just more options to pick up armor besides +Armor that is why it's not picked up as often especially when maxing DPS.

Also once you reach your 5K+ armor they want to try and meet the 1:10 ratio with AR as much as possible and people tend to hover around 500-700 Resistances.

It's not that is is underrated it just more available through other means.

just my .3 cents
Reply Quote
What about items that reduce % damage taken from Melee?

I"m a high Armor class MOnk, Even though right now i'm in TR mode.

With Nat's boots(5% reduction), Inna's Chest Piece (6% Reduction), My bracers(another 6% reduction) and with our Native 30% less damage that's 47% Reduction in Damage along with 6k + Armor, i'm a hard target to hit,.

If I really wanted to I could grab a pair of Immortal Kings Irons that have dex, chc, CHD, with another 6% reduction and i'm over 50% in damage reduction.

I think reduction to Melee is another Affix that should be discussed,

thoughts?

-Ach
Reply Quote
Oh, and their are Ammulets that I've seen that have Reduced damage from melee as well, that I don't have atm, but could bump the damamge lessened closer to 60%,

-Ach
Reply Quote
I think the argument about stacking reduced % melee dmg is that it's only one damage type and that most of the stuff that really hits hard doesn't get reduced. I don't think anyone is dying to normal mobs alone so it's coming down to elites/champs/bosses and most of the time it's their affix effects that toast us. Unfortunately those things aren't affected by that stat.

Armor and resist (or any dmg reducers) without adequate vit just don't make sense to me any more. If you can't handle the reduced damage hits you still die. I'm amazed how much better I survive with 20k more hps.
Reply Quote
View profile
What about items that reduce % damage taken from Melee?

I"m a high Armor class MOnk, Even though right now i'm in TR mode.

With Nat's boots(5% reduction), Inna's Chest Piece (6% Reduction), My bracers(another 6% reduction) and with our Native 30% less damage that's 47% Reduction in Damage along with 6k + Armor, i'm a hard target to hit,.

If I really wanted to I could grab a pair of Immortal Kings Irons that have dex, chc, CHD, with another 6% reduction and i'm over 50% in damage reduction.

I think reduction to Melee is another Affix that should be discussed,

thoughts?

-Ach

Yeah. Elite and melee damage reduction (much less so ranged, although that might change with pvp being added) are still underrated stats. Elite DR from what I read is pretty superior to the other two, in that its quite possible that it works even vs. affixes other forms of mitigation don't work against like Arcane, Molten, or Mortar.

I'm not quite sure whether its factored in multiplicatively or additively but yeah melee actually isn't that hard to pick up since it comes standard on Inna's chest, Nat's boots, and IK's gloves.

I remember about a month ago even looking into whether or not an IK's helm would be viable for monks given that it also comes with MDR. But it looks like the ones that roll dex or dex/vit are either really rare, or pretty overpriced from what I remember. They sure look badass on a monk though, just like the rest of the set :p
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 1/31/2013 8:22 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]