Diablo® III

Why Dex classes lucked out

I have played mostly a Barb since release but I have a few hours on my Monk. Before PvP no Barb would ever consider stacking Dex or Int, because DPS is king when farming. But now that PvP is coming out things are changing.

There are no Barbs worrying about having enough Int because they can get All Res and in far greater amounts. (up to 80 All Res on each piece). Dh’s don’t have to worry about stacking Str because their armor pieces already comes with 300-600 Armor per piece, not to mention being able to roll 400+ Armor on top of that.

With PvP right around the corner everyone is trying to figure out how to prevent being killed in 1 shot. Which brings us to you Dex based classes who get the one stat nobody can get anywhere else…DODGE!!!! This happens to be one of the best stats in the game.

All you DH's and Monks got the best damage mitigation for PvP from a main stat. You Dex classes complained before PvP, saying dodge was not as helpfull as Armor/All Res since you can not Dodge all attacks.

Now that we have PVP Barbs are stacking over 500 Dex to get a pathetic %20 dodge trying to compete with Dh's and Monks who are owning in PvP since they Dodge %50+ of incoming attacks. Taking 0 Damage from 1/2 of the attacks thrown at you is a lot better than the extra %4-%7 damage reduction from Armor or All res other classes get.

Dex Classes can also stack Armor and All res in large amounts from gear. While NO Str or Int class can stack dodge any other way besides DEX!! We need armor, weapons, shields or legendarys to have some Dodge. Maybe Dodge would have to have a increase to diminishing return to make it so the bonus Dodge available on gear wouldn't further benefit the Dex classes.

Having Barbs almost required to stack 500+ Dex to compete in PvP is insane! The way the 3 main stat defensive bonuses work now is broken. Please Fix!!!
Edited by Kush#1868 on 1/29/2013 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
So Block% on Helm and Shield no longer count in PvP?

Barbs can get over 40% Block percentage and I think that is just as good as 40% Dodge.

Nice thoughts, but there are other ways to avoid attacks from players other then Dodge.
Reply Quote
Ok, but NO class gets more Block% than any other...its only from gear

Im talking about the 3 main stat defensive bonuses. Armor, All Res, Dodge

Dodge is the only one not avail anywhere else besides DEX!

A Barb can stack 800+ All Res w/o any INT

A Monk can stack 8,000+ Armor w/o any STR

Could you stack %30+ dodge w/o Dex?.....nope
Edited by Kush#1868 on 1/29/2013 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh it gets better than that though. The monk has one with everything, skills that improve dodge even more, and 3-4 seconds of neener neener (serenity).

They have no reason not to stack 700k dps and one shot people by popping serenity and spamming the skill that roots people to the ground with the 60% to stun rune.
Edited by gd1#1326 on 1/29/2013 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
if you think monks are OP compared to barb..... lawls
Reply Quote
What if we don't give a f... about PvP? We're still far from other classes...
Reply Quote
DEX classes lucked out because there are rewards in PVP. Oh wait there are none.
Reply Quote
Oh it gets better than that though. The monk has one with everything, skills that improve dodge even more, and 3-4 seconds of neener neener (serenity).

They have no reason not to stack 700k dps and one shot people by popping serenity and spamming the skill that roots people to the ground with the 60% to stun rune.

I have to say, I have not laughed this hard in a while! The "neener neener" part made me LOL here at the office!

+1 my friend.
Reply Quote
muhahahahaha 4200 DEX i have :P this was my plan the whole time
Reply Quote
I wonder if the Blues think that Dodge compared to Armor/All Res in PvP is even close to balanced...
Reply Quote
View profile
01/29/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Kush
All you DH's and Monks got the best damage mitigation for PvP from a main stat.

I wouldn't say Dex leading to higher inherent Dodge is necessarily the "best." You just have to find the right balance.

Trust me, I've heard the same arguments that Dodge and Dex are pretty much unnecessary for Barbs, and that non-primary stats on the whole are useless to worry about. But just like I predicted, PvP in even a simple format like dueling is making people question that.

You say that Int and Str aren't really important on gear, maybe it's not important to get lots of as a priority, but hey, depending on how much All Res you get from gear affixes and skills, you get a few new pieces of gear with a couple hundred Intelligence total, that may lead to a few percent rise in All Res, and a decent jump in overall protection. Maybe not an immediate game changer, but could still make some difference.

As for Dodge vs. Armor...it's just different. Armor is always on, obviously, while Dodge has a chance of happening. Armor is reliable but not always as effective, Dodge isn't as reliable, but if high enough can save you from death. Apparently my Witch Doctor has enough dodge to save herself from a Butcher swipe that allowed her to kill him. Pretty nice.

Again, it's just different styles. You stack enough Armor, you can take almost anything people throw at you. You stack enough Dodge, people will have to hope for a lucky shot to sneak through.

Maybe the entire game isn't changing as a result, but dueling seems to be having the exact result I predicted.
Reply Quote
The difference is when you only gain 2k-3k armor or gain 200-300 All res from your main stat your only getting %5-%8 or so Damage Reduction.

With 2k-3k dodge you have %30-%40 chance to take 0 damage

What sounds better for PvP?
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter is looking like a skill to invest in again, lol. Since you all cant dodge my attack, and I'm guaranteed to hit you with my "HOLY !@#$ING %^-*!!"-crit with my first shot.....I'm curious on how well that will play out.
Reply Quote
We didn't "luck out" or at least I didn't. I knew that Monks were OP and so were DH. I never thought dodge was a useless statistic (as I was primarily a Rogue on WoW from early 2005 to 2011). This is what happens when you follow the bandwagon.
Reply Quote
Dex doesn't provide much dodge by itself however monks do have ways to increase it. Dodge alone is quite useless because once that player is hit they are dead. It only works well in combination with other defensive stats.

Id also like to add that it is a much easier for barbs to build their armor and resistances with passive abilities than monks as well as having more opportunities for life steal.

As far as demon hunters go they literally have zero ways to increase dodge beyond what their dex provides as well as lacking the damage reduction melee classes receive so demon hunters are still the squishiest class in the game.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 08:36 AMPosted by Kyosji
Sharpshooter is looking like a skill to invest in again, lol. Since you all cant dodge my attack, and I'm guaranteed to hit you with my "HOLY !@#$ING %^-*!!"-crit with my first shot.....I'm curious on how well that will play out.

I suppose the good players will have to time their immunity skills just right.
Reply Quote
So Block% on Helm and Shield no longer count in PvP?

Barbs can get over 40% Block percentage and I think that is just as good as 40% Dodge.

Nice thoughts, but there are other ways to avoid attacks from players other then Dodge.

Block is very over rated becose its a amount you block. Dodge on the other hand is where you take no dmg. Now you tell me is blocking 4500 dmg per block better than dodging all dmg 50% of the time? Simple answer is NO block cant compete with dodge.
Reply Quote
Cry us a river. Dex stackers were screwed in PvE for damage mitigation compared to INT stacking and STR stacking.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 07:55 AMPosted by Rukk
What if we don't give a f... about PvP? We're still far from other classes...

This.... what if I don't want to PvP... Then Im just stuck with a third tier stat!? Thats some BS right there.
Reply Quote
1) This is a PvE game. PvP is just a feature and the game shouldn't be rebalanced for that.

2) Dueling hasn't even gone live yet. To assume that dexterity is a must for barbarian's is baseless. It took months for builds like WW barb and TR monks to develop. It's WAY to early to assume anything is broken.

3) Suppose the OP is right and barb's need to stack Dex to compete in PvP.
What's wrong with that? Dex is just an affix like any other.
500 dex is easily obtained on 2 weapons. Big deal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]