Diablo® III

Developing my Wave of Light build w/ Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLGnckqpzn8

Hey guys. I've been working on my Wave of Light build. Thought i'd put a few things down here for advice for anyone making a build based only on Wave of Light.

Right now it seems like life on hit coupled with dual wielding is the way to go on spirit generation. It's enough to generate 75+ spirit before you die. And it happens in enough time to use your bell to deal damage and get your life back. I just couldn't get Life Steal to stay consistent. Perhaps it is better with higher DPS.

But that's the thing. Wave of Light gives us the chance to focus less on paper DPS. I got comfortable with mp5 with 50K DPS. And this is pre 1.07 buff to Wave of Light.

Don't skimp on Spirit Regeneration. Attack Speed is great, and you'll need some. But if you already have over 2.0 attack speed, start thinking about using Spirit Regen instead of attack speed. Besides, you can only have Spirit Regen in a few select places. Attack Speed you can get in almost any slot. When thinking about spirit generation alone, attack speed can get you only a fraction of what 2.0 spirit regeneration per second does.

Try Life Per Spirit Spent once you have a good stream of bells/spirit generation going. Every bell is potentially ... up to like... an 18k heal. (I have a 8k heal, per bell). If you have Life Per Hit while you are generating spirit, it should get you to the next heal. Once you have this going, it feels quite nice. I'm using experimental (crap) equipment for mp3 - and I'm not dying.

Here's hoping that with the next patch and some gear improvements - that I can hit mp10!

Wish me luck! And I hope the video is informative!
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:27 AMPosted by EmperorMao
You don't say...

I know I'm being captain obvious.

The reason I mention it is because around 900 life on hit for one enchantment is still better on a weapon than 3.0% Life Steal. I think I would have to have 200K+ DPS when I'm only planning to hover around 120K DPS. Not sure on the math, I'll be back when I can confirm that.
Reply Quote
Try combining Fists of Fury with Infused with Light. Instantly fills an exalted soul bulb. You could settle for less spirit regen and use overawe, instead, for example.

It also has a dash, so you can change dashing strike to something else too, i.e tempest rush for farming speed.
Edited by Cavemandiary#2580 on 1/29/2013 2:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Lol yes LL breakpoint is roughly at 70k dps unbuffed. I'd say you need about 110k dps unbuffed tho. I am having a hard time with my LoH atm but i have to wait to sell some of my expensive items so i can get a nice LL 1h weapon.
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Monk: Runes and Passives Idea: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582720
Reply Quote
@frisch: Here are the numbers I get. Considering 1 weapon. Life on Hit max is 959 and Life Steal Max is 3.0%. In inferno we only get .6% from that. So, to get 959 from that .6 I'd have to have around 160K DPS to match Life on Hit. (There are different numbers when considering applying these to Fists of Thunder.) 160K is a lot! And it considers that you only have 1 hit per second. If you have 2 attacks per second, then you'll need 320K DPS. Now you're getting into DPS levels that... I'm not sure a casual player like me will ever get to.
Edited by darkmist29#1115 on 2/1/2013 3:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:52 AMPosted by EmperorMao
It baffles the mind...

Again, since I'm planning to have less DPS because of Wave of Light, Life on Hit might be better. Although, looking at the basic numbers, I'm not convinced LS would be beneficial to me starting at 80K.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I'm still trying to figure out why people think 80K is the turning point, even for your build. I could use the information.
Reply Quote
(deleted)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/31/2013 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Meh, deadly reach with bonus spirit on crit with a cold SoJ and empowered wave works by far the best from what I've tested.

With the huge DPS from WoL in 1.07 LL is definitely better. A couple waves fill you up very quickly.

Cold damage on deadly reach is REALLY good for WoL builds. Reach range is about the outside of the WoL main hit range. Can kill a lot of packs with them barely being able to even touch you.
Reply Quote
Meh, deadly reach with bonus spirit on crit with a cold SoJ and empowered wave works by far the best from what I've tested.

With the huge DPS from WoL in 1.07 LL is definitely better. A couple waves fill you up very quickly.

Cold damage on deadly reach is REALLY good for WoL builds. Reach range is about the outside of the WoL main hit range. Can kill a lot of packs with them barely being able to even touch you.

For single-target or Ubers, I highly recommend FoT-Quickening. Personally, I'm liking FoT-Quickening better than Deadly Reach even in high mob density areas. The attack speed bonus of FoT and you get 5 more spirit per single-target activation means the spirit generation is very close and you will get more Cyclones.

But yeah on PTR, WoL-Empowered Wave + Quickening/Strike from Beyond sure looks like the highest DPS build for us now to me.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 1/29/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

For single-target or Ubers, I highly recommend FoT-Quickening. Personally, I'm liking FoT-Quickening better than Deadly Reach even in high mob density areas. The attack speed bonus of FoT and you get 5 more spirit per single-target activation means the spirit generation is very close and you will get more Cyclones.

But yeah on PTR, WoL-Empowered Wave + Quickening/Strike from Beyond sure looks like the highest DPS build for us now to me.

Quickening loses out a lot because of WoL knockback and it doesn't get the cold modifier from an SoJ because it's only lightning. DR with a cold SoJ can still hit a mob after 1 WoL KB if it was in melee range. It makes the knockback much less of an issue and if you also use an echoing fury it's even better as it slows the feared mobs WAY down. I find the utility to be much more important since most of the damage is coming from WoL anyway. I've used both a lot on the PTR and I settled on DR with a cold SoJ as being my favourite.

It is definitely less DPS when hitting a non-moving block of tofu, but the old cookie cutter builds still win in that case anyway.

For ubers I might use quickening but with DR being able to easily hit both bosses with a CM wiz (which I almost always do ubers with) I'm not sure it would be better.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Karandor
I find the utility to be much more important since most of the damage is coming from WoL anyway.

This is one of the main rules I use for any Wave of Light build. Utility counts for a lot more when you are doing so much damage with Wave of Light.

I think you guys have convinced me that I should try out the cold damage SoJ.

I could see how having empowered wave might help the case for deadly reach. You can unleash lots of bells everywhere after a slightly slower fill of your spirit. I think FoT is still better for quick spirit regen, which is good for when you want to do something like punch, punch, punch, bell, punch, punch, punch, bell. (Even when the bell is 75 spirit.)
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:55 AMPosted by darkmist29
@frisch: Here are the numbers I get. Considering 1 weapon. Life on Hit max is 959 and Life Steal Max is 3.0%. In inferno we only get .6% from that. So, to get 959 from that .6 I'd have to have around 160K DPS to match Life on Hit. (There are different numbers when considering applying these to Fists of Thunder.) 160K is a lot! And it considers that you only have 1 hit per second. If you have 2 attacks per second, then you'll need 320K DPS. Now you're getting into DPS levels that... I'm not sure a casual player like me will ever get to.
That's to simple minded. Getting to 160k DPS with LS is not hard. You have to calculate the cyclones and the SW into your LS.
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Monk: Runes and Passives Idea: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582720
Reply Quote
Ur dmg is way to low
I'd rather go with 2h LS/ LoK weap like skorn or FD, get the guardian path passive, swap ur boots into Zunis and use CD/ CC items instead of AS since u r not a cookie cutter. Btw u have 568 AR so why u using OwE? And instead of serenity I'd take BW- heal+ constant boost of 15% to dmg
Reply Quote
Also, I don't understand why u using Blinding light rune? U need to 1shot enemies to farm/ lvl, not to stun em. For the skill build in general I'd go like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UdXSeQ!bcd!ZabYaZ
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 08:04 AMPosted by frisch
That's to simple minded. Getting to 160k DPS with LS is not hard. You have to calculate the cyclones and the SW into your LS.

If you watch a little bit of the video I posted, it's clear I spend about half my time dropping bells. And I felt that it would drop the efficiency of cyclones too much, since it is something that happens on hit. Half the time I'm hitting a creature 2 to 6 times, which varies on whether or not I feel comfortable with my current life total - and also dependent on getting lucky with quickening rune. The other half of the time I'm dropping bells. If I use cookie cutter build, then yes, cyclone is awesome - but I just didn't think this build would be good with cyclones.

01/30/2013 08:59 AMPosted by LoneHero
Also, I don't understand why u using Blinding light rune? U need to 1shot enemies to farm/ lvl, not to stun em.

My goal is to start playing in the higher mp levels, so one shotting creatures is pretty hard to do for me. What I wanted from the beginning is to not pay as much attention to DPS and pay more attention to survival. Blinding Light is essential to the fight for gaining spirit enough for your next bell. I will be happy when I am in mp10 taking a long time to kill creatures, but surviving none the less. It is at that time when I will work on DPS with my gear and try to get in a last bit of dexterity.

I'm trying to get around 500 - 700 more vitality, more armor where possible, and more cold damage for OWI. This would more than double my ehp. Then, concentrating on Dexterity and weapons, I could probably manage to raise my DPS to around 120K. So about 600K ehp and 120K is about where I am planning to end up. That is just an estimate.

When I am farming lower mp levels - Wall of Light is very good though! So with that, I do see your point!
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 05:13 AMPosted by Nameless
I may publish the details of this build after 1.0.7 drops

I would love to see that!
Reply Quote

Also, I don't understand why u using Blinding light rune? U need to 1shot enemies to farm/ lvl, not to stun em.

My goal is to start playing in the higher mp levels, so one shotting creatures is pretty hard to do for me. What I wanted from the beginning is to not pay as much attention to DPS and pay more attention to survival. Blinding Light is essential to the fight for gaining spirit enough for your next bell. I will be happy when I am in mp10 taking a long time to kill creatures, but surviving none the less. It is at that time when I will work on DPS with my gear and try to get in a last bit of dexterity.

I'm trying to get around 500 - 700 more vitality, more armor where possible, and more cold damage for OWI. This would more than double my ehp. Then, concentrating on Dexterity and weapons, I could probably manage to raise my DPS to around 120K. So about 600K ehp and 120K is about where I am planning to end up. That is just an estimate.

When I am farming lower mp levels - Wall of Light is very good though! So with that, I do see your point!

Normally people are looking for the balance. If your mp10 farm is not efficient do mp7 and so on. I can farm mp10 but it will take lot more time to kill elite packs so I farm mp7 like no problem.
Also, I'd rather pick full inna's set to keep inner storm constant (3 spirit per sec is pretty good). Btw u can get way more vit+ life 12% from inna's body armor.
Anyway, GL with ur experiments. It's always interesting to check something new
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 06:35 AMPosted by LoneHero
I'd rather pick full inna's set to keep inner storm constant

I think this might be the way to go. I think I will be able to get away with less attack speed on my chest spot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]