Diablo® III

CM Wiz -> WD question

As the title suggests, I'm a long time CM wiz that got bored. After a quick love with a monk, wd came next, and I have to say that it's a blast to play for now.
My question is:
Can any of my wiz gear be used on a (highish mp) wd? Of course I'll have to change MH and OH, but can the rest be used in some good build?
As a wiz, stats were 120k DPS, 900 AR, 5750 Armor, 34k HP.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Link to profile - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ged-1199/hero/363866
Edited by Ged#1199 on 1/30/2013 5:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Vile Ward, Mempo, and Witching Hour are end-game type items.

Weapon and off-hand have to be switched of course.

Other stuff is also nice but tends to be attack speed increases while consensus seems to be that WD damage better if based on crit chance/damage due to IAS negatively affecting resource (mana).

WD needs resource-management, so most tend to go with Zunimassa set to boost mana regen.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your insight.

Yes, SNS CM wiz lives by his attack speed and CC + good damage mitigation. Critical hit damage is probably last on our list as an important stat.

So, it means I'll have to change most of the items, huh? :/
Reply Quote
It kinda depends on the type of WD you plan to play.
Some of the gear is interchangeable of course but if you are going standard WD with bears going for high MP, you are going to need mana regen so at minimal you will need to get Zuni set and a Mojo with regen. You will also need much more HP's as there is no glass cannon WD builds that work at higher MP.

The zuni set means
chest is out
the Bond thorn ring swapped for Pox ring
Off hand swapped for sting of skulls
Nat boots swapped for zuni

The pants - yes
Witching Hour - yes ... on second thought you don't need it give it to me ;P
Vile Ward - yes
Mempo - yes if you get the set with mojo insted of helm.

*Nats reflect - yes
*gloves - yes
*Ammy - yes

You would want swap the weapon for a socketed crit weapon prefurably a slower weapon too. *with LOH or life steal

*look for crit chance crit damage over attack speed not that some attack speed is bad but too much leaves you out of mana with out really increasing your damage at all. Once you are out of mana your not doing damage so its a ballance of speed and regen..
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/30/2013 5:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you have/had a 2nd set of gear for archon farming, that may work better. Or if you don't want to give up all the IAS gear right away, then get a skorn.

I recently switched the other way, although I am still doing 2-3 alk runs / day with my WD.
Reply Quote
if you pick up a SoS and then use Chest, ring, SoS, and helm you can get the 4pc zuni and keep the 7% crit bonus from double nats set. I've been thinking about doing this myself, you still get the same AS increase and res All as a mempo (from the nats ring) and can get crit int and vit on the helm for a reasonable cost.. I've been thinking about trying this myself but the SoS get expensive for good ones.. You're probably also gonna want pickup radius if you're using the SoS which also can get expensive. It might be a *cheaper* way of getting the same total stat points if you can get good int/vit rolls on the nats stuff.
Reply Quote
@Jane that's good advice (and nice gear btw)

One note though... LS >>> LOH for WD in my opinion. And someone coming from CM/WW may tend to overvalue LOH because LOH >>> LS for that build.
Reply Quote
Thanks boys & girls, you were really helpful. This forum in general has it's fair share of trolls, but it's nice to see that wd community is so nice... always thought we wizzies were creme de la creme. :D

I think those changes are a little out of my league goldwise. I know how much gold and time I put in my wiz, and I'm not keen to do it again (or halfway). On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with wiz for mp10 ubers, and wd for farming or mp3-5 with friends or just... general fun.
I'll try to look for some archon gear I had, maybe something nice can be found.

If I'm not bothering too much, just one more question... does someone have a suggestion for a build for low(ish) mp farming with most of the wiz gear?
Reply Quote
To tell you a secret, WD in general hate IAS except 0dog build.

Vile ward is good; witching belt is so nice and it's still the best dps belt in game. Pants and bracers both good but you will want either a lacuni bracers or inna pants for the extra runspeed.

Other parts you mostly like to replace but not heir from your wiz.

Unless you have a really deep pocket you can go 0dog build, otherwise WD are pretty hard on high MP.

In general, this is my advice,

1) Zuni sets

2) Look for possible max mana regen as possible, which mean helm, mainhand, offhand.

3) you will need LoS and/or LS

4) you will need a lot of vit/resist/armor.

5) Probably you'll use Hellfire ring + Zuni ring. Zuni ring with LoH isn't cheap but I guessed you'd done 100 ubers runs at least so it wouldn't be hard to find one with LoH.

6) Tal rasha amulet isn't used by Wiz as it can't have cc and IAS (or it can?) but it's about the best dps amulet for wd (with cc).

7) it isn't about gears. ZB builds are the best for both low and high MP, except if you're really loaded you can go 0dog.
Reply Quote
Yes, as a CM wiz you can't have enough IAS... unfortunately, for most other builds depending on some resource, it's counter productive.

I have some nice Lacunis somewhere it'll give me 24 ms.

Skorn looks as a good idea with all that IAS... not sure if OH is a necessity or not.

Tal's amulet can roll both I think (2 random properties), but probably cost a small fortune. Will look for a cc one.

Hellfire's probably won't be a problem... full alt of them.

Well, at least I won't have to start from scratch. :)

@Jane - WH is yours. When I learn how to dupe. :)

@Worloega - nice wiz, I see you understand what is important. Too many times, new CM wizzies go for dmg when they should concentrate on damage mitigation. Our offense is our defense - for us mortals at least.
Reply Quote
@Ged,
nice cm wiz... high dps with attack speed 2.86? with time stretch u get can get next bkpt...
I am still messing around with my wiz (my cm chick now carry a freaking shield, attack speed 2.76 with CC 56).

I do high mp farming often. All my characters can survive in mp10 well (I am still working on their dps...)
My WD, with SOJ on, can do 0 dog build at 137k dps, or bear/SB builds both at around 160k
(profile currently shows my WD build for exp run at low mp game, using a 2mil gold knife)

The cheapest/fast way to get there is using a LS skorn with a bear build. If u are loaded with gold you can try 0 dog build.

Add me.... we can do some mp 10 farming. I can show you what I do with my WD.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 1/30/2013 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
oops...just found out that u are in eur. sever.
Guess that we cannot be mp10 teammate then.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 1/30/2013 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Ged,
nice cm wiz... high dps with attack speed 2.86? with time stretch u get can get next bkpt...
I am still messing around with my wiz (my cm chick now carry a freaking shield, attack speed 2.76 with CC 56).

I'm a strong opponent of time stretch, especially for reaching 3.01. Going for a strong 3.01 is hard (on your gold) and usually not needed (depends on your ping). If I'd ever go for 3.01 I'll do it via gear (probably lacunis because Inna's are quite bad EHP vise).
Problem with time stretch is that is competing with teleport (if not meteor, magic weapon and others)... and that is a losing battle for slow time. Teleport is offense/defense/movement speed spell and many times a life saver. Don't get me wrong, TS is good, but when doing ubers it's a win more on ghom and kulle, and a pita with magda when barbs and monk get 1shoted with all those swarms in one place. I'd rather take those swarms and beams face on with 30% dmg reduction and keep freezing for others. And when you're farming, wormhole is better than TS... speed is the king then.

The cheapest/fast way to get there is using a LS skorn with a bear build. If u are loaded with gold you can try 0 dog build.

I'm not loaded, I'm living off selling drops like most of us. ;)
Skorn looks like a good idea, but isn't losing OH a big deal?
Is there a cheap build for item farming (mp0-1)?

Add me.... we can do some mp 10 farming. I can show you what I do with my WD.
oops...just found out that u are in eur. sever.
Guess that we cannot be mp10 teammate then.

Thnx, maybe then some other time/game. ;)
Reply Quote
Since you need to replace your offhand and weapon anyways, get one piece of jewelry and try out 0 dogs. It synergizes well with attack speed.
Reply Quote
@ Luffy, I'm also an aspiring WD trying to use my CM wiz gears and make an easy transition. WD community has been so helpful so far. I still have not made lvl60 WD (at lvl48) yet but hoping to make get there soon.

I have told that 0zombie dog is the end game build for WD and so expensive. Bear also hits really hard. But I'm leaning towards some IAS WD build if possible so I can maximize my wiz gears without changing much of my gears.

I would love to see what you can do with your WD in game. I'm such a noob when it comes to WD b/c right now my friend is carrying me through nightmare/hell. so I still have no idea what skill sets are good for WD.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 06:46 AMPosted by Blingazinga
Since you need to replace your offhand and weapon anyways, get one piece of jewelry and try out 0 dogs. It synergizes well with attack speed.

Me likes!
Is it too much if I ask what weapon, what offhand (Things?) and what piece of jewelry?
Reply Quote
What I write below does not apply to 0dog.

The problem with IAS... well, what you need to understand about WD is that we have no equivalent to the wizard CM passive. Globes (gruesome feast) and kills (grave injustice) are our mana supplements... at MP0-MP2 these passives are boss! Above MP5-ish you're just not getting those globes/kills fast enough to keep up.

If you plan to use bears, you have to consider mana efficiency. That means maximizing damage dealt per mana spent. Slow big hits are more mana efficient than fast small hits. Both would be the same DPS if you had infinite mana, but you don't.

So there are two camps of bear doctors... 2H (skorn) and 1H (manujama's or rare spear/mace). The 1H route will improve your mana regen due to offhand. But that extra regen gets eaten up by hitting faster but less hard. The arguments 2H vs 1H have been endless; IMO it is a matter of style. Since you guys are coming from CM/WW I can say you will probably HATE how slow the 2H is.

End game for WD is mana limited. I don't know if there's ever been a WD that "farms" MP10 "efficiently". Yeah some can hang there, but nothing like what is possible with CM/WW or melee.

You can ignore all that and use darts or some other primary where the fast attack speed won't destroy your mana. But the LOH/LS from that is not the greatest and you will ultimately keep coming back to bears.

If you are content to grind paragon at MP0-MP1 for a while, take a look at my profile. At MP0 I one-shot every single white monster in Act 3. Even on non-crit. High INT, high avg damage, + damage% on 3 pieces, and a bit of IAS here and there, at the expense of CC%/CD%.

Any specific questions, feel free to add me in game.
Reply Quote
take look this may help :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811021079?page=1#18
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]