Diablo® III

Would D2 be enjoyable (never played) after playing D3?

Obviously LOTS of discussion about the merits of D3 vs D2 and the general consensus seems to be that D3 doesn't compare to it's predecessor...

So, as a person like myself who is new to the Diablo franchise and has ONLY played Diablo 3, would I enjoy the graphics, gameplay, etc, in D2?

It's only $10 so not exactly a big gamble. I'm just not sure I want to end my apparent blissful ignorance. :)
Reply Quote
The music alone makes it worth playing. $10 is worth a single playthrough.
Reply Quote
I've heard that before about the background music in D2. When I play Diablo 3 I usually turn music off, lower character volume, and blast either electronic or metal in my headphones...

I like the battle sounds, but the dialogue/music, not so much after hundreds of times
Reply Quote
nope
Reply Quote
definitely worth playing

i went back recently and it was great - gameplay is definitely clunkier and the graphics take some getting used to, but that's to be expected from a 13yo game.

but the atmosphere and sheer depth is incredible
Reply Quote
I think you would enjoy it. + you can compare and contrast the two on their str/weakness. I am actually going to buy it myself so I can play it again.
Reply Quote
Play it for the sake of seeing the story. If you like it after normal difficulty, go ahead and continue your epic grind for BiS loot and charms.
Reply Quote
Call me crazy but, as much as I enjoyed Diablo 2, it hasn't aged too well. Torchlight 2 is probably a better deal at 20$.

Unless you really want to stay within the mythos, if so, go right ahead and play D2.
Reply Quote
play diablo first. finish it. then start diablo ii. then see how much crap they gave us with d3
Reply Quote
Call me crazy but, as much as I enjoyed Diablo 2, it hasn't aged too well. Torchlight 2 is probably a better deal at 20$.

Unless you really want to stay within the mythos, if so, go right ahead and play D2.

^ This.

Diablo 2 was a lot of fun. But I'm sure it's still botted to all hell which takes away the fun.
Reply Quote
For 10 bucks witch is oh like 2 drinks at starbucks its worth it.
Reply Quote

^ This.

Diablo 2 was a lot of fun. But I'm sure it's still botted to all hell which takes away the fun.

Play single player:) thats what I do.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:42 AMPosted by BastardSword
play diablo first. finish it. then start diablo ii. then see how much crap they gave us with d3

LOL! i know right? it's like they went from step 1 to step 2 in terms to diablo 1 to diablo 2. but then they decided to go backwards for diablo 3. da fk?
Reply Quote
If you are a gamer that appreciates game quality before pretty graphics and fluid fighting, then most definitely. If you are one of those unfortunate gamers who cannot see past bling, then you will probably hate it. I still play it from time to time, though only in SP offline mode now (offline mode... hey what a concept!).

^ This.

You don't have to play with bots.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Bullfrog
So, as a person like myself who is new to the Diablo franchise and has ONLY played Diablo 3, would I enjoy the graphics, gameplay, etc, in D2?

These are two different games, the first one is hack-and-trade, the latter one is an action-ROLE-PLAY-game. If you like ARPGs then you should definitely give D2 a try. Enjoying D3 or not does not play any role for your question imo.
Edited by enkidu#2670 on 1/30/2013 9:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
google this "Diablo 2 gl wrapper" it wont get you banned it will let you play D2 in 3dfx gl mode <3 It just has less issues then the direct draw direct 3d mode.
Reply Quote

^ This.

Play single player:) thats what I do.

I was so close to getting Torchlight 2 before I decided to drop the $60 for D3. At that point I had already played the free version, taken all 5 classes to Level 13/Skeleton King and the hook was pretty well in...

I tried public gaming early on, but I really only play solo.
Reply Quote

^ This.

yeah, but you know it has single player... yeah, single player. no. internet. required. bots literally mean nothing to you, drop rates don't take into account the economy.

such a novelty
Reply Quote
It depends. If you really like D3 then there is a chance that you won't like D2. The two games are from entirely different genres really. D2 has a much heavier emphasis on the RPG elements. It takes a bit more investment to really appreciate everything D2 has to offer and without that time much of its beauty won't shine through. The item system for example may come across as fairly complicated for a newer player although it is fantastically done.

If you just do one playthrough on normal you'll still get to experience the incredible storytelling and atmosphere(both far better than D3) and there is a ton of lore that might help the D3 story make more sense. Be sure to talk to everyone at each chance you get because there are a lot of details hidden in their auxiliary conversations. I still find the voice acting to be impressive considering the game's age.

For what it costs it is a game worth owning. For someone who hasn't played yet you have potentially thousands of hours of entertainment if you can find a few friends involved who haven't played it either. The multiplayer is really what makes the game. The singleplayer game is lauded by many though so it would still give a great deal of entertainment. The difficulty scaling of NM and Hell is much better than D3 and item distribution and progression is far better which makes it more fun too.

In short, I'd say you'd just have to play it and see but I'd give my recommendation to anyone who is a fan of the ARPG genre that this is a must play.
Reply Quote
After playing through D3 numerous times already, and liking it better than Diablo 2...D2 is still plenty worth its salt. I'll give it all the respect I can, even though I downplay it much of the time in favor of siding with D3.

To its credit, its graphics are really simple, even for 12 year old standards, but they're good enough to be engaging. The gameplay of leveling is fairly basic, with the stat points and skill trees. If you like experimenting and starting over, D2 may be your speed, though as long as I've played it, I've never liked that aspect, as there's too much room for failure on your first try.

I don't mind a game that's genuinely hard enough to legit defeat a player and kill them over and over. Games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are manically difficult in that regard, and when you lose tons of humanity and more than 30k souls all because of ONE careless mistake, it can be pretty discouraging.

But souls and humanity are easy to get back in a few hours of play. Playing D2 for 20 or 30 hours solo, all to find out that my build isn't strong enough to get past Act 4, I respec with Akara and it still doesn't go? Even more discouraging.

If you're thinking about D2, I'd recommend looking up at least one solid build for a class you're going to play, just so you have an idea of how to slot your skill points and where to put your stat points. D2 is definitely not the kind of game where you can sprinkle skill points everywhere and be some kind of renaissance man that can use every skill in the game.

You NEED NEED NEED to specialize. To me, that's a problem. To others, it's preferred. However, I'd recommend Diablo 2 to anyone, for sure, if they were thinking of giving it a shot, even if they've only played D3. My wife isn't nearly the gamer I am, and she's still enjoying playing D2 with me.
Edited by CardinalMDM#1269 on 1/30/2013 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]