Diablo® III

Would D2 be enjoyable (never played) after playing D3?

01/30/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Sorsha
For 10 bucks witch is oh like 2 drinks at starbucks its worth it.

Ehhh...probably 1 drink.
Reply Quote
Also for Diablo 2 you may find the early game tough for certain classes, ie constantly having to chug potions. To avoid that I recommend playing public games on B.net until you feel stronger... then you can get to the end-game faster too, where it really shines.
Reply Quote
No,thats why d2 was a sucess.
Reply Quote
Absolutely. If you enjoy more of an actual RPG, it's a ton of fun. Diablo 1 is also fun, and the Tristram music is still so amazingly good, but since I haven't played it in so long I might just be nostalgic (but the sheer joy of getting a skill book!! Or an Angelic bastard sword of the heavens!! Or clicking on the cow!!).

The one thing I'd caution you about though, is that there are some elements that they fixed for D3 that might annoy the heck out of you. Having to hold Alt to see items on the ground; having to click on gold; having to stock up on ID scrolls and TP scrolls;

For all the minor annoyances, though, you'll also get to experience tons of things that were amazing - charms, jewels, runes, runewords, skulls, act jumpting, etc. etc.

So I'd say pick it up and give it a solid play (Werewolf Druids with bear pets were my favorite, but it's hard to argue with a pimped out Bowazon or an Ice Sorceress) and enjoy a modern masterpiece.

Just make sure you bring a flashlight when you enter the Valley of the Vipers!
Reply Quote
Really good feedback from a variety of perspectives, keep it coming!

I'm definitely more about gameplay than "bling" and I would like a more in depth understanding of the Diablo story as that is lacking in D3.

I think once I have had my fun with Diablo 3 I'll give D2 a try.
Reply Quote
yes. just like d1 is still enjoyable after d2. they're good games on their own merits.
Reply Quote
If your eyes won't hurt after the first look then you might have a very good experience. Graphics is probably the only downside of this game, and maybe combat will be lacking. The only part of D3 that is great are skill effects and possibilty to use many bashers at the same time. In D2 you usually use one or two spells on left mouse button and one to about three on right mouse button, depending on situation. And by bashers I mean active skills not warcries or other buffs. But apart from that it's very fun and more expanded than D3.
Reply Quote
Quick answer: No

Long answer: It really depends on the kind of gamer you are.
Can you pick up games that are decades old and enjoy them without nostalgia?

In my opinion Diablo 2 just feels dated. It's like playing Warcraft 2 and comparing that experience to the updated RTS control conveniences of Starcraft 2. Both games still offer fun, but one is a lot more playable and worthy of your time.

Diablo 2 has been cloned dozens of times over the years though. You'd be better off buying TL2 or playing PoE if you wanted a very similar current day experience.
Reply Quote
Totally worth it ..

Gotta look at it through some a different lens though.

It is .. at its core ... a fun single player/co-op ARPG.

Play through Normal . Maybe nightmare .. try out different classes ... try out different builds .. that is where it shines.

It doesn't have an "end-game" any more than D3 does .. and while some people liked that .. the true strength of D2 was in the journey .. the dark zones .. the haunting music ... the unique drops .. the set items .. the horadric cube .. There is so much depth in D2 that is missing from D3 ..

D3 removed that depth and D3 Normal through Hell is pretty easy .. pretty shallow and pretty boring and just a time sink to get to Inferno (where the game starts to shine a BIT).

But it may be hard to go back to the low res graphics .. the clunk interface ... the small inventory and stash space.

I replayed it right before D2 .. and it was still pretty darn fun ... but that could have been nostalgia talking.
Reply Quote
I laugh at anyone who suggests that D2 is remotely close to an RPG. PLEEEEAAAAASE, play an actual RPG and see how far off you are. No... putting points into stats and skills doesn't make it anymore of an RPG.

D1 is a Rogue-like but, ultimately, all Diablo games are Hack-n-Slash Dungeon Crawlers. If you like one, chances are you'll enjoy the other. Just because they're in the same genre, doesn't mean they'll be the same or that you have to love/hate both.

Dungeon Siege is a Diablo clone but it has far more character development than any Diablo game... I'm sure as not going to call it an RPG.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:42 AMPosted by BastardSword
play diablo first. finish it. then start diablo ii. then see how much crap they gave us with d3

^this right here, he pretty much says what i want to say :)

Really good feedback from a variety of perspectives, keep it coming!

I'm definitely more about gameplay than "bling" and I would like a more in depth understanding of the Diablo story as that is lacking in D3.

I think once I have had my fun with Diablo 3 I'll give D2 a try.

Check these cinematics from D1 and D2,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRsbBGoxMEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhaXh6xAR0

Check out the camera angle on those 2 and compare it to d3

D3 cinematic might have smoother animation, shading and all the goodies of modern CAD program, but they don't mean a thing if the director has no vision.
Reply Quote
while i would normally say "why not"; "go try it". The truth is you might end up hating D3.. so dont ruin it for yourself.
Reply Quote
D2 Mods yah, the actual vanilla D2 LoD, no.

If D3 allowed modding no one would play vanilla D3.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 1/30/2013 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well for me D2 is one of the best games ever created and especially after d3 I enjoy it one more time, well maybe not the graphic but everything else is superior.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 doesnt compare to Diablo 2 in the Core of the game and the constructed foundation but maybe it can keep up in the graphic section thats about it.
Reply Quote
Graphics aside (it's been 12 years after all) D2 is still a superior game.
Reply Quote
70 Human Warrior
I laugh at anyone who suggests that D2 is remotely close to an RPG. PLEEEEAAAAASE, play an actual RPG and see how far off you are. No... putting points into stats and skills doesn't make it anymore of an RPG.

D1 is a Rogue-like but, ultimately, all Diablo games are Hack-n-Slash Dungeon Crawlers. If you like one, chances are you'll enjoy the other. Just because they're in the same genre, doesn't mean they'll be the same or that you have to love/hate both.

Dungeon Siege is a Diablo clone but it has far more character development than any Diablo game... I'm sure as not going to call it an RPG.

oh im sorry ACTION RPG. still an rpg.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guideline

assume roles of characters. check
in a fictional setting. check
process of structured decision making. check
character development. check
Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guideline. Check.
Edited by madbrownkid#1134 on 1/30/2013 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Swagnificint
oh im sorry ACTION RPG. still an rpg.

It has "RPG" in the name but that doesn't mean that they're remotely similar. A Smartcar is not a smart car.

assume roles of characters. check
in a fictional setting. check
process of structured decision making. check
character development. check
Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guideline. Check.

So what's the back-story of your character? What makes your Demon Hunter or Necromancer different from mine? Did he/she lose a family member and seek revenge? Was he intrigued by all the deaths? Yeah? Oh wait, so is MY character. Why? Because you're doing as much role-play as an actor in the theater: following a script.
That's not what Role-Playing-Games do, they offer choices with consequences (although some are poor on the consequence part). What impact did your character do to the world? What? Same as mine? Hmm...

Don't confuse character development with "leveling and customization". By character development, I'm referring to the personal story of that character. What did your Demon Hunter learn from killing Magdah? How did your Necromancer feel when he defeated Mephisto? What? Absolutely nothing? Of course not, your characters are only there to get some loot! The story drives them, but there's no growth because they're just an extension of yourself (aka: not assuming a role).

Following that stupid checklist of yours, it means that Tomb Raider is also an RPG.

That's like saying The Elder Scrolls is a First Person Shooter because you're in first person and you can shoot things. That's not how it works.
Reply Quote
Worth it.

Just remember the game is from a decade ago and the graphics werent exactly cutting edge back then either.

I highly suggest downloading the increased resolution mod. It zooms you out quite a bit but makes it so much easier on the eyes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]