Diablo® III

Would D2 be enjoyable (never played) after playing D3?

Diablo 1 was awesome, but no running.
Diablo 2 was good, but not as good as everyone remembers it.
Diablo 3 was allright.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 06:03 AMPosted by fathom

really lol i beg to differ

D2 17459 playing 19328 games of diablo 2 Lord of Distruction

17k of which are bots spamming advertisements. 450 of which are bots running chaos/baal runs.

which leaves you 9 players you can play with, nice.

EDIT: In Diablo 2, you was unique

lol you obviously have not touched d2 at all

Lol, more than 9 people play, but they all sit in the 1st chat channel on their maxed out hc characters and talk about random stuff, then try to boast how they've been in that chat for 10 years and anyone else is a "rando" (random). They get so upset and gang up if you call one of them a "rando".
Reply Quote
Just watched some D2 enhanced videos. Forget the graphics... just hearing the music sent a chill down my spine and brought me back... it may not have the same effect on somebody who has never played it before. Hard to say from my perspective.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 06:03 AMPosted by fathom

really lol i beg to differ

D2 17459 playing 19328 games of diablo 2 Lord of Distruction

17k of which are bots spamming advertisements. 450 of which are bots running chaos/baal runs.

which leaves you 9 players you can play with, nice.

Compared to what the 194 people botting diablo 3 and no actual players lol... Cause we know out of the 10 m D3 sold that 194 bots play and 9.9 m troll the forums
Reply Quote
If you want an older game that still is very playable on the computers of today, try Titan Quest Gold (has the Immortal Throne expansion pack). It basically came out to kind of BE a Diablo 2.5. Great graphics and low price.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:09 AMPosted by Rocotito
This should answer some questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLedw4HACNc

Watched it. I see what everyone is saying about graphics... I have been gaming for the better part of 25+ years (wow, I'm old) so I remember enjoying games that had very little to offer graphically so they had to have compelling gameplay and story. The novelty of "hey I'm playing a video game!" wears off quickly.
Reply Quote
My son played D3 first, and then D2. He wanted to meet the earlier D2 demon lords.
So I pulled out my old D1 and D2 and loaded them up for him. He played a bit, and he found D2 to be too slow and clunky for his taste. He could not get over the older graphics. He also found the game "too complicated". He had to make too many choices about his character. Kids....

I also tried to play D2 again after taking a 4 year hiatus from the game. I had to agree with him on the graphics stand point. I forgot how stiff and primitive the graphics of D2 are. I also enjoy the eye candy of D3, but would prefer a lot more of the D2 flavor.

Maybe in the D3 expansion or D4 or not...
Reply Quote
I think that you would enjoy the gameplay for Diablo 2. I have played Diablo 2 for the past 6 years it was always fun to play a different class. Even though the game is an older one i have always liked the grind for gear or gold. When you got to a new act you were able to buy better gear or even find it. Graphics wise maybe not but then now a days graphics and those graphics are way different.
Reply Quote
I play it more than Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
D2 lod follow specifically D@D rules book... Read what D@D is about and you will appreciate D1and D2 Lod. IF you want Eye candy games, easy to follow rules set upon by the devoloper and that you can play for about 1 year or so go with D3. They follow many other games like Call of duty , Halo and many Eye candy games than you dont need to ask us anymore about comparing D2 and D3. If you are the type of player that like strategy and lore on your own term than you know you will stick with D2 Lod and not even worry about Eye Candy games. I play D2 offline and online still as of today. D3 i do play only to collect gold and yes i flip on the AH I am also trying to do run only to have that 1 in million chance of getting that perfect roll of a weapons or any other items.But when it comes to building yourself up and using your skill it is very limited in hat you can build.
Reply Quote
Oh when you do play D2 take your time and you will see and feel why it is the trend setter. It is gritty for a reason, listen to the rain drop as you venture out, listen to the footstep as you pace on wooden bottom against grass bottom, Venture into a cave or the sanctuary and know that there's no such thing as running straight into a group of enemy and pay with your life. Decide in less than 3 seconds when you all surrounded by hoardes of Diablo minions attacking from all side wheather to retreat or to stand your ground. If you do stand your ground and you have a shield you will hear the clanging when your succesfully block the damage. And when you do attack a single enemy, did you hit the enemy first or did the enemy hit first, if enemy hit first than your attack is stop and so you have just a few seconds to decide what to do. D2 has detail in game play that your senses will be awaken once you sit down and enthraw yourself in its lore.
Reply Quote
i prefere the graphics of 3 due to its newer than 2. but 2 has a better story, offline, ability to hack(i hack after i play legit) and most of all my fav class the paladin. I still play 2 more than 3 for those reasons. even with its lower quality graphics.
Reply Quote
Obviously LOTS of discussion about the merits of D3 vs D2 and the general consensus seems to be that D3 doesn't compare to it's predecessor...

So, as a person like myself who is new to the Diablo franchise and has ONLY played Diablo 3, would I enjoy the graphics, gameplay, etc, in D2?

It's only $10 so not exactly a big gamble. I'm just not sure I want to end my apparent blissful ignorance. :)

I liked the music/background sounds of all three games. I agree with other posters to get it just for the music alone or at least look for the music online if you are less picky about paying for higher quality sound.

If we're speaking in generalities and not getting too deep into details, I would say you will not like the graphics as much, but you will like the style of said graphics better (maybe) and you'll definitely like everything else about Diablo 2 more than 3. But then, how many people still play Diablo 2/LoD? I haven't played it since Diablo 3 came out, so I am out of the loop on that part.
Reply Quote
If you've never played d2, i suggest you go out and buy it( i prefer the digital copy, digital bought games > cds that can scratch).

D2 beats D3 by so much, its just sad.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 11:10 AMPosted by baronsengir
the music alone is worth 10 bucks
Reply Quote
Man D2 was great. 13 years ago. One thing you'll miss is the community. Playing with 8 players was awesome. The items, stat points, skill tree all awesome. Even though in D3 being able to change skills is cool. It really gives you no reason to ever go back to the lower difficulties. I played through the entirety of D2 TONS of times because I would try out new builds. Spending hours trying to collect really specific items just so I could make a pvp character. Doing it all again for a champion I could farm with. Sigon set anyone?
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Optimyst
The best part of D2 is and will always be offline play. I'd kill for an offline mode for D3.

there would be no ah in sp. where do you get items from?

On the single player game I'd grind them out like in D1 and D2. The part I liked was the ability to play where ever I wished without the need to be connected. The AH is great but an option to play off the battlenet was nice.
Reply Quote
I miss charms, waypoints, and skill tree in D3.
The most interesting IMO of D2 were the diversity and usability of gear, everyone were capable to upgrade base properties using the horadric cube.

Another great thing were the runes charms, the scalability of runes and gems was cheap and always have the chance to get them all, farming or using the cube.
The combintaion of low value and high value rune in "runewords" also were great

The posibility to stack aura effects in characters were nice also. LAN and offline play are really nice features missing in D3, I really doubt this will be available in future releases, internet changed everything

The followers actually were "useful", those could be geared with ethereal items, and were available in online multiplayer games.
Reply Quote
D2 was a good game for it's time, now everything in there stinks compared to D3.
Edited by fathom#6674 on 2/7/2013 5:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]