Diablo® III

GPU load running at almost 100% all the time

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that my GPU load, core clock, memory clock runs at almost 100% all the time when d3 is opened. Is it supposed to be like this? D3 at times causes my GPU to reset (ie screen blanks for a few seconds then back on while game is still running; on bad times the system crashes)

These are my specs:

Laptop: ASUS N55s
Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 8GB
System: Windows 7 64 bit
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT 635M with 2GB dedicated memory

I've tried limiting frame rate to 60fps, vsync, updated my GPU drivers but my GPU still runs at almost 100% all the time. During this time, my GPU temp is ard ~75degree Celsius.

Any recommendations will be welcomed.
Edited by xmsyticx#1851 on 1/30/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
While the game is in the foreground this is common for D3 to use 100% of the gpu or around there. mine uses about 90% of my gts 450 here at work.

the fact that your drivers are resetting under full load means 1 of a few things or all of them.

1) the card is overheating
2) the drivers are corrupt or out of date and need to be updated
3) you GPU is showing early signs of being damaged and is failing
4) your over clock is too high and the GPU stops responding because of stability issues and the driver resets
Reply Quote
While the game is in the foreground this is common for D3 to use 100% of the gpu or around there. mine uses about 90% of my gts 450 here at work.

the fact that your drivers are resetting under full load means 1 of a few things or all of them.

1) the card is overheating
2) the drivers are corrupt or out of date and need to be updated
3) you GPU is showing early signs of being damaged and is failing
4) your over clock is too high and the GPU stops responding because of stability issues and the driver resets

hi Ghostly,

I would factor out 1 n 2 as 75degree seems fair to me, and I had recently updated my driver to the latest.

Point 3 is possible but can I know how do I check my overclock and stuff? I don't see any overclocking options in my nvidia control panel.

On another note, someone pointed out to me it might be my CPU is limiting causing my GPU to run at 100%, which is also possible since I had set some limits on my processor.
Edited by xmsyticx#1851 on 1/30/2013 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Its not your CPU, the GPU will work as hard as it can to render the best visual experience for the user. it should use 100% or close to for this.

The fact that the driver is resetting is always due to heat, overclock instability, a failing card Or old/corrupt driver install. My 450 GTS resets in dishonored when i OC is, put it back to stock and its fine. Now given that your on a laptop and you have no idea where to find the OC settings leads me to believe its not OC'd as its something the user has to initiate.

75 degrees does seem acceptable, so its either a bad driver install or failing card id say.

what driver version are you on?
Reply Quote
Its not your CPU, the GPU will work as hard as it can to render the best visual experience for the user. it should use 100% or close to for this.

The fact that the driver is resetting is always due to heat, overclock instability, a failing card Or old/corrupt driver install. My 450 GTS resets in dishonored when i OC is, put it back to stock and its fine. Now given that your on a laptop and you have no idea where to find the OC settings leads me to believe its not OC'd as its something the user has to initiate.

75 degrees does seem acceptable, so its either a bad driver install or failing card id say.

what driver version are you on?

i'm currently using v310.90 for my driver.
Reply Quote
two things you can try.

1) if this did not become an issue until you updated to these drivers you can roll them back to test.

2) update to the latest Nvidia beta that fixes some things with the 600 series cards. V 313.96

Get them here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/313.96/313.96-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-beta.exe
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]