Diablo® III

Ladders, will we ever see them?

Introducing ladders would boost the game more than anything else that has been implemented so far. The game is becoming stale in regards to farming. Not that the game itself is becoming stale but after playing for a while & the chances of upgrades dropping becomes less due to how the item drops work. Almost every day I see new players in the game & for them it's going to be close to impossible to get good drops just from playing.

Having ladders with periodical resets would give players another area in the game that would yield high drops, with good rolls, a lot more often. Which would get a lot more players involved. Setting up the servers the same as Hardcore (being separate from normal play) would be easy enough. It's just a matter of making changes to the lobby screen when making a new character. The actual game itself is just a copy or Softcore mode but without a RMAH. THe RMAH would be redundant but the GAH would be fine & could even be a place for those Flippers to see who can make the most gold.

I'm not asking for it to be implemented right away or even soon. (would be good) It would be nice to know though that there some intention to incorporate ladders in the games future.
Reply Quote
there was ladders in one of the original gameplay videos from 3 or 4 years ago.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Ihmhi/diablo3/d3_ladder.jpg
Reply Quote
I think a ladder system is a great idea. Something to quantitatively measure performance. Of course I dont think it should be implemented in the game now. Blizz needs to introduce more end-game systems where performance would be measured via ladder. Progressively harder infinite dungeon, hoard mode, PvP come to mind.

I know D2 ladder was not very competitive, but times and expectations have changed. People need something other than loot grinding (especially considering the effects of the AH) to keep them interested.
Edited by vorpalblade#1827 on 1/30/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
72 Gnome Rogue
Diablo games were never made for ladders. The only reason ladders were in D2 were because of dupes and bots.

Sounds like D3 for the past 6 months.
Edited by revpersona#1230 on 1/30/2013 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
No, because Real Money Auction House.
Reply Quote
Hopefully. Creditcard heroes will cry thou since they can't buy their way to the top until the ladder-race is pretty much over.
Reply Quote
Have you considered looking in a hardware store? The home-depot perhaps?
Reply Quote
It is possible, because I remember either a CM or a dev said that Blizz is thinking about adding in ladders at some point.
Reply Quote
Ladder is stupid anyways. I felt sorry for the people that when the ladder reset would play overnight and be level 80 when everyone else wakes up the next day and starts over. I never once maxed a character in Diablo 2 because it was so boring and too much of a grind. Plus, the rune trading was stupid. The auction house is definitely better. I can get gold easy, but I hardly feel like grinding for hours trying to get a specific rune or get enough runes to transmute in the cube.
Reply Quote
There will never be a forced ladder because of the RMAH and the fact that there's no offline mode for those who don't want to take part.
Don't even kid yourself, the majority would NOT want to take part.

It is possible that in the long run they'll open up a dedicated ladder server which would of course include the RMAH there as well. I would almost count on this becoming a reality just because the revenue earned from yearly resets should far outweigh the costs of the server maintenance.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 1/30/2013 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
With auction houses? I wouldn't count on it.
Reply Quote
There will never be a forced ladder because of the RMAH and the fact that there's no offline mode for those who don't want to take part.
Don't even kid yourself, the majority would NOT want to take part.

It is possible that in the long run they'll open up a dedicated ladder server which would of course include the RMAH there as well. I would almost count on this becoming a reality just because the revenue earned from yearly resets should far outweigh the costs of the server maintenance.

I want you to show me by using pictures that in D2 you are forced to make a ladder character when playing online. Also show me where ladder characters and non ladder characters share the same servers in D2. Prove it to me beyond a shadow of doubt, go ahead I am waiting. Time's up, cannot prove it to me huh.

Look all the devs have to do is to make separate servers just like they do for D2. Then make those servers with the gold auction house and instant ladder season without any of the problems you are talking about.
Reply Quote
Why is it that 90% of the people wanting a ladder have a crappy character? Do you think you'll be more successful the 2nd time around? So they start a ladder and you get to regear, why not just regear the character you already have? A ladder will even you up with other players for a week or 2 and then you'll make the same crappy gear choices and end up with another crappy character. Is a ladder going to improve your drops? No, the RNG is going to work the same.

A ladder is only going to benefit botters by increasing their gold sales. It will also benefit Flippers who want to make a fortune on players trying to slowly upgrade their characters. In the end the same good players will be good and the same crappy players will be crappy (screaming for another reset). A ladder is just stupid and a waste of time.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 04:33 AMPosted by Slay
A ladder is just stupid and a waste of time.

Worked really well at Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 just lived so long because of the Ladder-System
Dont know why people decline the idea ^^
Reply Quote
you can't put a ladder based on wiping characters item data, to a game that is heavily influenced on buying items for real money. since players invested not only time, but also sometimes real funds in their toons, doing this would be extremely bad idea - non ladder items would easily lose value, making a lot of people really angry.

it probably won't happen in this form, this game isn't a diablo 2 clone. what could happen, is a pvp ladder, based on league tables and tournaments - no item devaluation of any kind, just some skills involved and another way to compete.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 04:41 AMPosted by fhantomPL
you can't put a ladder based on wiping characters item data

Easy to handle.
There are no wipes and no Ladder-Only-Items.
Reply Quote
you can't put a ladder based on wiping characters item data, to a game that is heavily influenced on buying items for real money. since players invested not only time, but also sometimes real funds in their toons, doing this would be extremely bad idea - non ladder items would easily lose value, making a lot of people really angry.

it probably won't happen in this form, this game isn't a diablo 2 clone. what could happen, is a pvp ladder, based on league tables and tournaments - no item devaluation of any kind, just some skills involved and another way to compete.

Have the Ladder characters flow into the normal game without wipes once the Ladder is over then make everyone start a new character for the new Ladder. Now you keep the character and gear which you can sell in the Auction house or you can just delete your character.
Reply Quote
That's essentially ladder and non-ladder, which was already mentioned.... They won't do it because of the auction house, and ladder isn't very important anyways. It's only Diablo. What reward or feeling is there from playing D2 the very second the server finishes resetting and making it to 80 by the time normal people with lives and a job get up?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]