Diablo® III

Ladders, will we ever see them?

I hope D3 never sees a ladder...

Having a ladder will cause casual players to disappear even quicker than they do normally which, whether or not anyone wants to admit it, would be terrible for any game.

The casual player is by FAR the largest demographic of any gaming community. If you alienate the largest demo, you lose everything. You lose income, you lose currency flow and item flow, and the overall yield of legitimate items of any value (usability, not worth) is greatly reduced.

This however is not accounting for bots, which shouldn't be because bots have an ebb and flow that correlates with the casual player. The more casual players, the larger the demand for currency and items thus increasing botting. You may see this as a negative, but it is actually the opposite, as there are always improvements to reduce botting, which is actually great PR for any game which in any case is a postive and will actually increase the amount of casual players thus increasing all items we have mentioned previously. If you can create a game that has 0 bots, then the community is right back to the greatest demographic, the casual player.

This is in no way condoning bots. Bots are unfortunately a permanent part of the gaming community, which if any gaming company is smart, and if you have any intelligence you would have also noticed, they will keep a very tight leash on, and because they will always be around, I'm sure that every gaming company has learned to use them to their advantage, such as Jagex did with there rather recent anti-botting exploits.

Kind of got off of the main topic however...ladders would be very bad for this game.

TL:DR ladders suck
Edited by Bankai#1479 on 1/31/2013 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/30/2013 06:44 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
It is possible, because I remember either a CM or a dev said that Blizz is thinking about adding in ladders at some point.
On a separate realm egg head. Do you have any idea how much legal trouble they would be in for stealing millions of dollars in consumer goods from the D3 community?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Ladder is a race to the max level, which could be achieved within a few hours. Now this would be very pointless.

D2's ladder worked because it took a LONG time to reach 99.

And. Paragon. (That is their ladder)
Reply Quote
Having ladders on a separate server, would be like playing D3 in a 6 month time frame instead of 2+ years as an example. It would be like a shotgun version of D3 in comparison to Softcore play. It could even be less than 6 months so that it's close to impossible to complete all areas of the game, so players can compare how far they got. A lot of different variations could be tried.

As I said the RMAH would need to be removed simply because it would be pointless. In ladders items would be dropping 10x as much if not more because of how the game is designed. The incentive for players would be something like. Who progresses the most to Paragon L100, the highest raw dps, who makes more gold than anyone else, etc. This would all be done in a short time frame & would also give players, playing for themselves, an opportunity to compare & better previous sessions in the ladder.The way the game has been designed, a ladder system would fit in perfectly. It also wouldn't take away from standard play since players would also need to build their characters in there.

Oh & max level in D3 is 160 not 60.
Edited by Blade#1800 on 2/1/2013 1:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Are you considering playing hardcore mode or something? This seems like an attempt to take the high level hc chars down. We worked hard to stay alive in hc. Why should that be taken away? I've dedicated so many hours to my hc characters that resetting me would be a slap in the face. Funny it is never the hc chars on top asking for a reset.

Hardcore mode is constantly resetting. For instance, my friend today lost a lvl 60/86 dh to a disconnect. Yes a disconnect. Blizzard has their own resets. He lost over a half bill in gear.

Hardcore mode does not require resets. I refuse to re-roll a character that I have over 400 hours of act three runs invested in. Please do not touch hardcore. I don't want to quit d3. I love the game even with it's flaws.
Edited by Incoherent#1536 on 2/1/2013 2:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I didn't like the ladders in D2. I wasn't that active of a player and had always to re-level a character. Ladders where just a stupid fix against botting and dupes.
IMO the best would be to fix the D3 economy and then bring out an expansion that raises the level cap. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
Are you considering playing hardcore mode or something? This seems like an attempt to take the high level hc chars down. We worked hard to stay alive in hc. Why should that be taken away? I've dedicated so many hours to my hc characters that resetting me would be a slap in the face. Funny it is never the hc chars on top asking for a reset.

Hardcore mode is constantly resetting. For instance, my friend today lost a lvl 60/86 dh to a disconnect. Yes a disconnect. Blizzard has their own resets. He lost over a half bill in gear.

Hardcore mode does not require resets. I refuse to re-roll a character that I have over 400 hours of act three runs invested in. Please do not touch hardcore. I don't want to quit d3. I love the game even with it's flaws.

Hardcore is completely different & separate, as it should be. As I mentioned, ladder play would be separate from softcore & hardcore. All it would be is a shotgun form of the game. That would be played quickly & then played again. Each time players competing against other players & themselves, as to if they do better or worse after each reset.

Hardcore players don't need a reset. They die, game over for that character. That is the difference between Softcore & Hardcore. What I'm talking about would be separate from both of those.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]