Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

Community Manager
Update: January 31 @ 1:41 p.m PST

Based on your feedback, we've decided that going forward all rubies will use the new calculation noted below, and we’ll be buffing each ruby tier to account for the difference. We're still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using rubies in the weapon slot.

The whole point of a PTR is to test things out, and we appreciate all the feedback so many of you have taken the time to write up. At the start of the PTR, Marquise Rubies were definitely looking stronger than we wanted initially, and as a result of the new calculation, we’ll likely have to further refine them so that we can get them to where we'd like Marquise Rubies to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We recently made some posts pertaining to “black weapons” (i.e. weapons with the MinMaxDamage affix), and mentioned that if we considered making adjustments to how black weapon damage was calculated, we would let you know.

While we aren't making any changes to black weapons, due to the MinMaxDamage affix bug we are changing how bonus damage from higher-end rubies is calculated 1.0.7.

First Things First

To reiterate, we're not going to be changing how the MinMaxDamage affix calculates bonus damage on weapons in 1.0.7, nor do we have any immediate plans to do so. We're okay with the way black weapons are now and we don’t feel the bug, as it exists currently, is severe enough to warrant an urgent fix. It’s still a bug we want to fix at some point in the future, but we have no intention of making any changes to items that currently have or might drop with the MinMaxDamage affix between now and then (i.e. once we do fix the bug, only new items that drop from that point on would roll with the revised calculation).

So, now that we've cleared that up…

Changes to Rubies in 1.0.7

In patch 1.0.7, all rubies will be receiving a buff to their damage ranges. This change should already be live on the PTR.

Due to the bug with how bonus damage is calculated on black weapons, however, the bonuses received from the new ruby values are currently much higher than intended. So, to help with this issue, all the rubies which received a damage buff -- as well as Marquise Rubies -- will also be switching to a new calculation, one that better matches what you would intuitively expect. (As KirusAlufras pointed out, rubies don't work consistently between physical damage weapons and non-physical damage weapons, and we’d like to correct that.)

The new buffed Rubies will do exactly what the tooltip claims. If a tooltip says +80 to Minimum Damage and +80 to Maximum Damage, then the damage on the weapon will go up by those amounts when the Ruby is socketed.

• So, for example, if you have a weapon with 150 - 200 damage and your Ruby adds +80 Min/+80 Max then your weapon will do 230 – 280 after inserting the Ruby.

• As another example, you have a “black” physical damage weapon that does 300-450 damage. If you insert a Ruby with +80 Min / +80 Max then your weapon will do 380 – 530 damage.

• One more example: You have a Fire damage weapon that does 150 – 200 damage and an extra 50-100 Fire damage. If you insert a Ruby with +80 Min / + 80 Max then your weapon will do 230-280 damage with an extra 50-100 Fire damage.

• Note: Emeralds, Amethysts, and Topaz will remain unaffected. Chipped quality Rubies through Perfect Square Rubies will also be unaffected and will continue to use the current (bugged) calculation.

Why We're Making This Change

Philosophically, this change is important because the MinMaxDamage affix doesn't work the way that you'd expect when it comes to bonus damage. It's not intuitive. If you see one thing on the tooltip, socket a ruby, and then get an unexpected result, that's confusing.

Additionally, physical damage weapons already have some mechanical advantages, such as interacting directly with "Adds X% elemental damage" affixes. In small amounts these advantages can be cool, but we feel that letting the black damage bug be compounded by powerful gems would take it to an extreme we aren't comfortable with.

Bonus Values Subject to Change

For those who have already been playing around with the rubies on the PTR, thank you for your feedback so far. In light of our decision to change how damage bonuses for the higher-end rubies are calculated, combined with your feedback, we'll be re-evaluating the numbers on these gems before 1.0.7 ships (this applies to the Marquise Ruby, as well). Ultimately, we want to ensure that some (but not all) builds and play styles will still favor using the new and improved rubies, and are open to making adjustments as needed.

This change will be implemented in a future patch 1.0.7 PTR build, so you’ll get a chance to test it out and theorycraft before patch 1.0.7 goes live.
Edited by Lylirra on 2/5/2013 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok, so let me get this straight. You're backtracking on what +min damage is? I recall in the early patches you reworded jewelry and ruby descriptions so that it became clear that

+X min damage
+Y max damage

equates to +(X-(X+Y)) to weapons.

Does this also mean that jewelry with +X min damage no longer adds X average damage but instead X/2 average damage?

Please just decide on something, make it consistent, and STICK with it.
Reply Quote
so this means we get patch next week.

cool thanks.

looking forward to it
Reply Quote
Is this a big nerf to marquise rubies?
Reply Quote
Damn, i knew there would be a screw in there somewhere.
Reply Quote
So does anyone by chance know if d3up currently shows the "bugged" dps when you simulate an M RUBE in a socket on a black weapon?
Reply Quote
If rubies are being changed, and the +min / +max affix is currently bugged, why not change all rubies to use the +% damage affix (with appropriate values per tier of ruby)?
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:27 PMPosted by ANigerian

Yes. That's exactly what it is.
With this nerf to marquise rubies, I honestly don't see any point in using it over a marquise emerald anymore. Which in my opinion, is kind of sad since I was hoping that it would be something that would bring a little bit of variety in gem usage.
Reply Quote
Seeing duped items on the AH "confused me" also. Is this getting fixed too ?
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:17 PMPosted by haushinka

This.
In addition, I would really love to know what exactly the bug is and what is intended. Because right now there are like 3 or 4 inconsistencies in how bonus damage is displayed and handled, and nobody knows how it really should work.
During the initial "oh my god black damage nerf"-discussion, several smart people argued on and off for pages and pages on this very forum. And in the end they still couldn't agree if you wanted to nerf black damage severely, just a little, or even buff it. Or if the whole thing was just about jewelery anyways.
So please, for the love of god, come up with a mechanic that works for everything and that works the same everywhere. We do not need yet another exception for rubies.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:33 PMPosted by apo

This.

So please, for the love of god, come up with a mechanic that works for everything and that works the same everywhere. We do not need yet another exception for rubies.

Yes. Just to clarify what I meant by rewording, a star ruby USED to say

+17-34 damage

now it says

+17 min damage/+17 max damage

The EFFECT did not change. Clearly, that was meant to clarify that +min damage adds to the low and high end of weapon damage. This was also how +min affixes work on jewelry.

Now you're telling me, that's uhhh NOT INTENDED?
Reply Quote
I'm still a little fuzzy on this whole "black damage bug". Can someone explain that to me? And try and use simple examples so I don't have to break out the college stat book?
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Undaunt
If rubies are being changed, and the +min / +max affix is currently bugged, why not change all rubies to use the +% damage affix (with appropriate values per tier of ruby)?

because this doesn't scale with ias. that is, it benefits slow weapons just as much as fast weapons. kinda like how chd does. the ruby buff is supposed to make it better than emeralds in some cases but not others. if it's all or none, then what's the point?
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Origin

Yes. That's exactly what it is.
With this nerf to marquise rubies, I honestly don't see any point in using it over a marquise emerald anymore. Which in my opinion, is kind of sad since I was hoping that it would be something that would bring a little bit of variety in gem usage.

Did you miss this part?

In light of our decision to change how damage bonuses of the new and improved Rubies are calculated, combined with your feedback, we’ll be re-evaluating the numbers on the Rubies before 1.0.7 ships. Ultimately, we want to ensure that some (but not all) builds and play styles will still favor using the new and improved Rubies.
Reply Quote
Why would we use an illogical system where weapons are bugged, but gems in weapons don't function the same way as the weapon themselves function?

It really NEEDS to be one way or the other (both fixed or neither fixed). This is really just absurd from a theorycrafting standpoint.

Not to mention it's a KNOWN BUG, but you guys seem unwilling to fix it. I'm sorry, but it's just ridiculous to purposely leave known bugs in the game.
Reply Quote
My friend's demon hunter (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tekkazerox-1174/hero/13519652 ) gains a hefty +12k dps damage bonus with a Radiant Star Ruby over a Radiant Star Emerald. It's still VERY impressive for some weapons and Rubies appeared to be almost as good as Emeralds in many cases that I socketed with my monk's weapons.
Reply Quote
@TianZi: I just wish they'd retroactively alter existing black weapons so that their damage is unchanged and move over to the right damage system. There's no reason to nerf anything if they don't want to.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/30/2013 06:17 PMPosted by haushinka
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]