Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

The way it is now, going with the revised mechanics of its interaction with weapon damage, I don't see the new ruby being a viable option over the emerald without a buff to its damage range. It simply doesn't make sense for anyone to socket a gem that decreases their dps.

Realistically speaking, even the skills that are meant to pair well with the ruby (Hydra, Sentry) are far from robust enough to stand on their own. You end up taking more conventional skills on top of them to round out a build, and these offset any gains since they are crippled by you using a ruby instead of an emerald.
Reply Quote
All I want to know is, will I ever be able to use anything but emeralds in my weapons? I'm not rich enough to even get star gems yet, but I just want to know, is the ground changing beneath my feet or can I continue playing the way I have been playing?

I don't care about being the best in the world, I don't care about having +2100 DPS instead of +2000 DPS, I just want to know:

Will Ruby gems ever be a viable alternative for Emeralds?
Reply Quote
I dont understand why the devs have to change the way rubies work on weapons, they could have just lowered the values if they thought it would be too strong.

Right now a ruby with +100/+100 would be about equivalent to a radiant star emerald for most people with a decent amount of ias/cc/cd, so yes +150/+150 for a marquis ruby might be too strong, I think a value of 115 or 120 should be fine.

This would allow some builds to benefit from it, but it wouldnt be so OP as to be BiS for every single player with a black weapon.
Reply Quote
I dont understand why the devs have to change the way rubies work on weapons, they could have just lowered the values if they thought it would be too strong.

Right now a ruby with +100/+100 would be about equivalent to a radiant star emerald for most people with a decent amount of ias/cc/cd, so yes +150/+150 for a marquis ruby might be too strong, I think a value of 115 or 120 should be fine.

This would allow some builds to benefit from it, but it wouldnt be so OP as to be BiS for every single player with a black weapon.

correct. they just don't know how to fix things.

it can be done so easily. just make the final dps the same whether it's emerald or ruby. the only differences between socketing these 2 should be:

emerald gives higher crit dmg, so ppl with lots of crit chance with high attack speed and who chose to use spammble soft hitting skills should chose the emerald. machine gun style.

ex: emerald users attacks 2 times a second hitting 100 each time, over 5 seconds does 1000 dmg.

ruby gives higher dmg range, so ppl with a 2 hand weapon with high dmg range, slow attack speed, non-spammble hard hitting skills, can chose ruby. grenade luncher style.

ex: ruby users attacks 1 time a second hitting 200 each time, over 5 seconds also does 1000 dmg.

the only differences between the choice of emerald vs ruby should be from playstyle.

how simple is that...
Reply Quote
just test the new rubies in ptr. using to radient rubies instead of 2 radient emeralds gives me 4k more damage in my manticore. this is with 51% cc. also 1 ruby and 1 emerald was more damage than 2 emeralds but less that 2 rubies. now i imangine the marquise will work the same way
Reply Quote
First, the damage calculation error problem we all know.
However, Red gems damage increased so much because of the problem you want to solve the the dh's Jianta no crit damage.According to the algorithm, the problem remains unsolved.
the world is full of barbarians, you do not see this?The only hope to deprive , it is right?
The only hope to deprive , it is right?
Reply Quote
Well at least they're still tinkering? Maybe they will continue to tinker.

#highhopes
Reply Quote
I think rubies will only come ahead on players with low crit chance and those with low damage weps, especially when leveling an alt.
Reply Quote
ok so now that rubys are getting a buff can Emeralds get a buff too?
Radiant Square Rubies, Star Rubies, Flawless Star Rubies, Perfect Star Rubies, and Radiant Star Rubies have had their weapon bonuses increased (these changes will apply to both existing rubies, as well as new rubies):

Radiant Square Ruby: +40 minimum damage/+40 maximum damage (up from +16/+16)
Star Ruby: +60 minimum damage/+60 maximum damage (up from +17/+17)
Flawless Star Ruby: +80 minimum damage/+80 maximum damage (up from +18/+18)
Perfect Star Ruby: +100 minimum damage/+100 maximum damage (up from +19/+19)
Radiant Star Ruby: +120 minimum damage/+120 maximum damage (up from +20/+20)

Radiant Square Rubies, Star Rubies, Flawless Star Rubies, Perfect Star Rubies, and Radiant Star Rubies have had their weapon bonuses increased (these changes will apply to both existing rubies, as well as new rubies):

Radiant Square Ruby: +40 minimum damage/+40 maximum damage (up from +16/+16)
Star Ruby: +60 minimum damage/+60 maximum damage (up from +17/+17)
Flawless Star Ruby: +80 minimum damage/+80 maximum damage (up from +18/+18)
Perfect Star Ruby: +100 minimum damage/+100 maximum damage (up from +19/+19)
Radiant Star Ruby: +120 minimum damage/+120 maximum damage (up from +20/+20)

cause im a dex user and emeralds seem like their getting the short end of the stick can something be done about this admins?
just think about it +10%crit hit dmg is low compared to the buffs your giving to rubys
Edited by DEATHX#1219 on 1/31/2013 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Duh! This would make two handed weapons with a ruby Ok to use...

I dont understand why the devs have to change the way rubies work on weapons, they could have just lowered the values if they thought it would be too strong. Right now a ruby with +100/+100 would be about equivalent to a radiant star emerald for most people with a decent amount of ias/cc/cd, so yes +150/+150 for a marquis ruby might be too strong, I think a value of 115 or 120 should be fine. This would allow some builds to benefit from it, but it wouldnt be so OP as to be BiS for every single player with a black weapon.
correct. they just don't know how to fix things.it can be done so easily. just make the final dps the same whether it's emerald or ruby. the only differences between socketing these 2 should be:emerald gives higher crit dmg, so ppl with lots of crit chance with high attack speed and who chose to use spammble soft hitting skills should chose the emerald. machine gun style.ex: emerald users attacks 2 times a second hitting 100 each time, over 5 seconds does 1000 dmg.ruby gives higher dmg range, so ppl with a 2 hand weapon with high dmg range, slow attack speed, non-spammble hard hitting skills, can chose ruby. grenade luncher style.ex: ruby users attacks 1 time a second hitting 200 each time, over 5 seconds also does 1000 dmg.the only differences between the choice of emerald vs ruby should be from playstyle. how simple is that...
Reply Quote
Where did I put my diablo 2....

I`m interested in the dual weapon theory...
Reply Quote
Instead of nerfing like Blizzard seems wont to do and making the rubies use a different formula for weapons, why would they not just change the elemental weapons to work like the black weapons do instead.

I know that they are hesitant to change (read: nerf, because they don't like buffing instead?) existing items due to the RMAH, but changing the elemental weapons to function with the same bug the black weapons have would have the optics of erring on the side of fun. Economically it would put black and elemental weapons on the same level price wise (save for any %eledmg considerations). In the short run it makes the mid-tier (lower) dps black weapons worth less, but it makes the "unlucky" elemental weapons worth more.

edit: then again I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that all gems are not changing to X-Y (color-element) damage
Edited by Skonatha#1751 on 1/31/2013 8:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
LOL... this was the only thing I was excited about with the patch... bad move.
Reply Quote
the bes way to compare new rubies vs emeralds is not just look at paper dps changes but to test them in real game.

for example, kill one boss with stop watch and calculate the average amount of dps dealt. Repeat this several times for ruby and emerald, you will then have more precise picture of what is better for your class and with your skill set.
Reply Quote
blizzard no kidding plz

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457499/
User Interface
Minimum damage and Maximum damage values will now display separately in an item's tooltip (i.e. "+2-4 Damage" will now display as "+2 Minimum Damage” and “+2 Maximum Damage")
Reply Quote
the bes way to compare new rubies vs emeralds is not just look at paper dps changes but to test them in real game.

for example, kill one boss with stop watch and calculate the average amount of dps dealt. Repeat this several times for ruby and emerald, you will then have more precise picture of what is better for your class and with your skill set.

sure.... I'll test it ... Being a DH I don't really have Rubies. If you can provide me the funds to buy the 3 radiant star rubies and crafting costs for this (lookin at what about 88m at current prices) to "test" and see if it it gives a lil more dps then sure. However it would seem not beneficial for people to start sinking gold into this without knowing if it is going to really work for them.

One set of calculations showed I'd gain 34k dps. However if I recalculated the numbers based on what I believe they are saying the calculations are going to be I lose over 8k dps. Seems a big "change" to me. I gain some non-crit damage range based on calculations but lose over 15k off the top end of my Crit range going with ruby over emerald.

I guess I don't have all the gold in the world to just "try and see" if this is gonna work. Would like to know what is being seen in PTR is correct at this point to verify with fake gold so to speak.
Reply Quote
blizzard no kidding plz

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457499/
User Interface
Minimum damage and Maximum damage values will now display separately in an item's tooltip (i.e. "+2-4 Damage" will now display as "+2 Minimum Damage” and “+2 Maximum Damage")

thank you for digging that up. i've been trying to tell anyone that would listen...
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 04:32 AMPosted by Matma
Please just decide on something, make it consistent, and STICK with it.

This is the stupid mentality that leads to so much complaining. People need everything to be exactly what they want and perfect RIGHT NOW.

Please DONT just decide something, be consistent or stick with ideas on the PTR. PLEASE tinker with stuff ALL YOU WANT if the end result is a better game for all of us. Thats ENTIRELY what the PTR is for right?

tinker with levels. dont tinker with definitions. and ffs, dont give TWO definitions to ONE affix.
Reply Quote
Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. +80 min and +80 max should be the same as +80-160, not +80-80. I don't think this is a bug, I just think the blizzard devs have no clue what they're doing at this point.

Minimum damage should always increase maximum damage as well. The elemental damage ranges are all expressed this way, the reason they don't turn out as well as "black" damage is because +% damage doesn't buff elemental damage.

Seriously, I'm losing all faith in blizzard if they think something working properly, the way it's always worked, is a "bug". When the game first came out rubies were expressed as a range, then they were changed to the way they currently are. 12-24 became +12 min and +12 max. Now they're saying it's supposed to be 12-12?

Seriously, Picard is face palming a lot right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]