Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

blizzard no kidding plz

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457499/
User Interface
Minimum damage and Maximum damage values will now display separately in an item's tooltip (i.e. "+2-4 Damage" will now display as "+2 Minimum Damage” and “+2 Maximum Damage")

thank you for digging that up. i've been trying to tell anyone that would listen...

I´d be interested why they separated the damage display in the first place, I mean that is where the whole MinMaxDamage calculation issue began and it made weapon damage calculation a pain...
Reply Quote
I can't believe things are becoming even more awkward.
You got to be playing for hundreds of hours and must have read hundreds of forum posts to truly understand how much damage you can deal with a rather simple weapon.

Sad, sad, sad.

Just fix this design bug! Whatever it costs.
Reply Quote
Sweet Mary Blizzard... just fix the bug already! I wouldn't think it's that hard to do. I'm starting to think you had overseas contractors code this game for you, and since the contract is up, you have nobody left there who can read, understand and modify said code. Why so many band aide "solutions"? You know what you could do... DOUBLE IT! LOL!
Reply Quote
This would make a lot of sense if this mechanism works "off_weapon", just like rings and amulets, which would be a buff to duel wielding since very few is duel wielding now (at least true for DHs)
Edited by Vaeflare on 1/31/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We’ve been listening to your feedback, and we agree it’s weird for different rubies to function differently, especially if it’s hard to tell the difference. Based on this, we’ve decided that going forward, all rubies will use the new calculation, and we’ll be buffing all rubies to account for the difference in calculation. We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using rubies in the weapon slot.

The whole point of a PTR is to test things out, and we appreciate all the feedback so many of you have taken the time to write up. At the start of the PTR, Marquise Rubies were definitely looking stronger than we wanted initially, and as a result of the new calculation, we’ll likely have to further refine them so that we can get them to where we’d like Marquise Rubies to be.
Edited by Vaeflare on 1/31/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think the prices of gems always has been way to high. It should be somewhat obtainable without using RMAH which it isn't now. I've picked up about 42m gold in 480h of playing and what would that have gotten me? One perfect Gem, one... The best gems should cost 5m tops.
Reply Quote
We’ve been listening to your feedback, and we agree it’s weird for different Rubies to function differently, especially if it’s hard to tell the difference. Based on this, we’ve decided that going forward, all Rubies will use the new calculation, and we’ll be buffing all Rubies to account for the difference in calculation. We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using Rubies in the weapon slot.

The whole point of a PTR is to test things out, and we appreciate all the feedback so many of you have taken the time to write up. At the start of the PTR, Marquise Rubies were definitely looking stronger than we wanted initially, and as a result of the new calculation, we’ll likely have to further refine them so that we can get them to where we’d like Marquise Rubies to be.

Honestly, what on earth is wrong with the rubies you guys had originally? they were just fine.

There was no need to nerf this, instead you guys should have been smarter and BUFFED THE OTHER GEMS.

110% crit for a 60m green gem? what the hell is the point of that. Buff that to be on PAR WITH THE RUBY.

Don't take away the power that was bestowed at the beginning. I was loving to build towards fast ASP and high white damage numbers. Now i'm going to have to go back to using a slow and stupid manticore...

STOP NERFING and START BUFFING INSTEAD.

Keep the rubies like they were in the first PTR build, just make the marquise emeralds more power, 10% crit damage buff for 60m is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. BUFF IT AND MAKE IT ON PAR WITH THE OVERPOWERED RUBIES.

Why doesn't blizzard understand that PLAYERS should be ultimately deciding what to build. Now you are telling us that emeralds are still the way to go obviously. This is a huge nerf to rubies and throws out all the theory crafting made in PTR as far as builds go.

Stop making stupid decisions blizzard, your act is getting old
Edited by SkiTz#1750 on 1/31/2013 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Honestly, what on earth is wrong with the rubies you guys had originally? they were just fine.

There was no need to nerf this, instead you guys should have been smarter and BUFFED THE OTHER GEMS.

110% crit for a 60m green gem? what the hell is the point of that. Buff that to be on PAR WITH THE RUBY.

Don't take away the power that was bestowed at the beginning. I was loving to build towards fast ASP and high white damage numbers. Now i'm going to have to go back to using a slow and stupid manticore...

STOP NERFING and START BUFFING INSTEAD.

Keep the rubies like they were in the first PTR build, just make the marquise emeralds more power, 10% crit damage buff for 60m is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. BUFF IT AND MAKE IT ON PAR WITH THE OVERPOWERED RUBIES.

Ummm unless I'm mistaken...they ARE buffing rubies. Even if they nerfed them in the PTR it will still be a BUFF in the end...
Reply Quote
So now this community is pissed that they listened to us and are changing something? Everybody is just trolling, right?
Reply Quote
We’ve been listening to your feedback, and we agree it’s weird for different rubies to function differently, especially if it’s hard to tell the difference. Based on this, we’ve decided that going forward, all rubies will use the new calculation, and we’ll be buffing all rubies to account for the difference in calculation. We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using rubies in the weapon slot.

The decision for Weapon Min-Max, Min-Max on Items, and Rubies to be calculated differently is still very illogical. The 3 things do the SAME thing, yet now all 3 are going to be calculated differently...

It seriously makes no sense to have three different formulas to calculate something that should have one global formula.
Reply Quote
I was playing around with radiant star rubies and radiant star emeralds in my 2 socket manticore with a 42% damage modifier. The interesting thing for me was that it barely mattered which ones I put in the sockets. I never had more than a 2% difference in DPS between Rubies and Emeralds. In builds with higher crit chance, the emeralds were better, as expected. And with builds with higher crit damage seemed to prefer the rubies.

I also tried the rubies in faster weapons that lacked a %damage mod, and they were extremely terrible.

From what I gather, the design intent was to make them better in faster weapons, but what i've experienced so far is that they're just better in weapons with a high %damage mod on them (over 40%)

I really liked how close the radiant star rubies were to the radiant star emeralds. Adding features to the game that require making meaningful decisions that make a slight but significant difference is a very good thing. I like where the dev team is going with rubies.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be

Honestly, I just cant see why you wouldn't know what you ideally want the gem to do. You created the game. You know all possible damage ranges for all weapons. You know possible outcomes for every different value this gem could have. You know exactly what value would make this gem compete with the other gems available.

My boss would fire me instantly if I presented a client with design ideas and then said "well, i know you have seen this, but we don't know if we actually like this direction or not and we will keep you posted."

Sorry for the rant and I honestly dont care what the final outcome is, I just think the way "these situations" have been handled is poor.

Blizz, PTR is for finding random inconsistencies within content updates from a large sample pool where testing time will reveal problems. Developing how game and item mechanics will work is your job. Maybe this should be done first next time instead of after public exposure.
Edited by EMPIRE#1116 on 1/31/2013 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
At this point there is no reason to make war over design and mechanic decisions made for this game. If you have truthyfully been this displeased with the game after being out for 9 months and claim to not play this terrible game why would you waste a moment on the forums to rage on people that do enjoy the title. Let constructive criticism happen for those who are using the forums for the reason it exist. I myself am taking a break, there was a good 8-9 month stretch of enjoyment and now its time for a change. Most likely I will log back on in a month or two and start the grind again but for now I am stepping away. I implore you people who troll and criticize the game to such a harsh degree do to the same.
Reply Quote
I agree with the cost thing, I've played countless hours and would be hard pressed to stack any top gems into gear. I'm kind of wishing people were duping them .........
Reply Quote
Blizz, PTR is for finding random inconsistencies within content updates from a large sample pool where testing time will reveal problems. Developing how game and item mechanics will work is your job. Maybe this should be done first next time instead of after public exposure.

this.

its sad how they are simply designing the game THEY want based on results from PTR opposed to in house game testing and theory crafting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]