Diablo® III

Monster power and leveling a new char?

87 Blood Elf Mage
What is the general consensus on this? Jack up MP as far as you can and still kill with reasonable speed?

Keep it low or off to steamroll the content faster?

If you use MP you'll level faster but still have to play through the first three difficulties.

If you don't use it you'll appear to level slower...but you still have to play through all three difficulties.
Reply Quote
I just started a DH on MP10. It has been alot more challenging, but also alot more fun and rewarding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I always use mp10 on new toons. When the enemies start to get too good, I jump out and use the AH for some big upgrades. Then go right back to 1-hitting elites.

I guess as long as you are 1-hitting elites and killing a lot of whites, you will lvl very fast.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I’ve talked with players in several different Diablo III communities about how they level new characters and found that most of them tend to prefer one of two tactics. 1) For a number of players, Monster Power 10 seems to be the way to go when leveling by just playing through the game, but (as you pointed out) that leads to a much slower pace than farming key areas. 2) There’re also players who farm specific high-density locations, but they tend to tone down Monster Power to whatever they can handle while still one-shotting most of the monsters. I’m sure plenty of players do a little bit of both depending on the situation, too.

I prefer a hybrid of the two, but will lean towards faster leveling depending on the last time I leveled the class I'm playing.
Reply Quote
I always use mp10 on new toons. When the enemies start to get too good, I jump out and use the AH for some big upgrades. Then go right back to 1-hitting elites.

I guess as long as you are 1-hitting elites and killing a lot of whites, you will lvl very fast.

One hitting elites on MP10? I, uh, don't think so. Even with the best possible reduced level requirement gear, this is unlikely. And certainly not before your mid 40's when that gear becomes available.

I dunno, to me, leveling doesn't take long anyway. What is it 10-12 hours to hit 60 if you are using the AH or hand me down gear, on Mp0? I really have not seen the benefit of running MP levels beyond what you can a) 1 shot whites and b) kill elites in under 10-15 seconds, unless you are specifically farming keys/ubers at lvl 60. Of course, that does not include just doing it for the challenge, which is fine. But other than that I don't see the allure, necessarily.
Reply Quote
the key is definitely getting a weapon with reduced level requirements as soon as you can.

if you keep getting things that are -16 or -18 levels as you progress, you will so outclass the monsters you can melt everything in mp10.

When i rolled a wiz I picked up a cheap cain set + ruby + hellfire... I was blasting through levels in minutes... got to 60 by a1 of nightmare. It was actually annoying at that point to keep playing only to get to the content I wanted, but c'est la vie.
Reply Quote
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe OP is more or less requesting something akin to EXP/HR chart. I'm a personal adherent to the formula of "kill more things faster = more EXP over a shorter period of time." Especially when you factor in that if you spend more time killing a mob, although the EXP is greater, that is time that is added to the avg. time you need in order to travel to the next mob. So in short, in the same time where you could have been killing 2 mobs and moving to the next, you're killing 1 mob and traveling to your second. Depending on your gear, that could be a 2.5:1 ratio.

Now, I'm mostly your average, poor under 500k g player here, so I can't always afford the best gear possible, but I have found that MP's above 3-4 are mostly tuned on for more challenge/loot instead of experience gain/hr. I believe to better maximize your EXP, adjust the MP to 3 or under and you will most likely maximize your leveling potential.
Reply Quote
What class do you play Grim? Why so afraid to say? What build do you use?

I think your main is a Monk.

It would be interesting to know what you and your fellow CM's prefered class is.
Reply Quote
What is the general consensus on this? Jack up MP as far as you can and still kill with reasonable speed?

Keep it low or off to steamroll the content faster?

If you use MP you'll level faster but still have to play through the first three difficulties.

If you don't use it you'll appear to level slower...but you still have to play through all three difficulties.

Honestly, the best thing to do is gear exclusively in XP gear with the best weapon you can find for your level (highest dps with a socket to insert crit or loh gems).

Then do MP2. You get xp bonus from the MP plus you get xp on kill bonus from your xp gear. You still steam roll content, but get a boosted leveling experience.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 03:53 AMPosted by Arcanian
Anyone....Beuller...Beuller...

You spelt "Bueller" wrong
Reply Quote
Cain Set + Hellfire on MP0 I level to 60 in around 11 hours just playing the game normally.
Reply Quote
i ran a Demon hunter 1-60 on MP 0 was lvl60 before diablo in hell. did it with a socketed helm w/ a ruby. no grinding, no caves or extra dungeons. just quest line till completed. point to point as much as possible. worked well for me
Reply Quote
I've started a new character and been leveling him in exclusively MP10, it's a good challenge. I'm level 46 atm and have yet to hit hell mode. Getting levels is much quicker. I have been upgrading my gear every 7-10 levels at the AH.

If you don't start in MP10 and try it at a later level you will be behind the mobs level wise. I tried it with my first character which I leveled w/o MP. And had a very rough time of it. Was around the mid 40's when I heard of MP when I gave it a shot.
Reply Quote
Power-leveling mp10 Normal to Hell on Act III runs. I power-leveled someone 1-60 under 2 1/2 hrs
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I started a dh with a friend. We did act 1-3 on mp10 normal. I clear act 4 on m4 solo. In nm i did most of it on normal untill we play again and turned it up to 10. I did visit the ah for some decent items but i didnt care. We had a blast instead of one shotting all the mobs. I finally finished up act 3 nm last nihght i am lvl 51... Guess by early act 1 hell/mid act ill be 60. And i plan on doing hell on mp5 at least. Its fun very fun.
Reply Quote
Cain set - combine biggest ruby you can in the helm + any Hellfire ring you have

Have a friend plow act III -> highest Mp you can survive at.

Once you reach 40ish start looking for reduced level requirement gear (spend as little gold as you can and just relist the gear once you reach 60)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]