Diablo® III

plague bats - pvp

View profile
so what i know of this skill is that on a single attack of it it works like out other dots where it will roll a white crit on hit which will determine every tick of the dot for that attack.

however plague bats is a bit different since the dot can be stacked by simply holding down the attack button. what im trying to figure out is if the second application of the dot (which is influenced by ur attack speed) will reroll the crit or if it will apply the crit roll from the first application. if any one has figured this out or knows a good way to test it please share.
Reply Quote
Seems to restack every second or so? Best I've seen it is proccing CC every second whilst mashing the button, and it's front-end loaded for proc rate - so my guess is it will check for crit once every two ticks or so. Alas, poor on hard data to be of any real help.

As a side note, and again without hard data, it seems I can milk more damage out of them if I don't mash - tick-long squirts seems to give better results.
Reply Quote
it's probably calculated per each cast. by cast i mean each time it reduces mana.

there are some extensive tests on the chinese forum, here is the summary if i read it correctly:

1. ats x 2 = number of casts / sec
2. # of dots per cast = 1/ats*10, time between each dot is 0.5 sec; ex, if ur ats =1.2, u will get 8 dots per cast
3. it stacks and but caps around 540% actual dmg. but it only lasts about 8-10 casts. after that, dmg returns 270%. this part is confusing.. i guess what it means is that the dots stop stacking after 8 casts? which means 4 seconds if m ats is 1.0?

original post if you are interested to read in google translate:
http://bbs.d.163.com/thread-172359814-1-1.html
Edited by Nerzaa#1863 on 1/31/2013 1:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
From what I find it would be too close. It goes pretty fast pace so skills that need a stand and cast are bad. Fire and forget skills are better.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 02:06 PMPosted by Shockwave
From what I find it would be too close. It goes pretty fast pace so skills that need a stand and cast are bad. Fire and forget skills are better.

Wrong person to say that too lol. Chuck whomps on fools with Plague Bats lol. He inspired my build after watching his videos using the dirty little bats. It owns people.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ebgcUi!eWa!YYZbbZ
Reply Quote
Bats? What Bats? You mean that imba haunt move, right?
Reply Quote
Well I'll try it in the PTR but I'm thinking hungry bats might be better for single hit high damage. I found when you hex someone you can spam them without much fight back. The hard part is when you have more than 2 players in that small map. You gotta keep moving around.. can't stand there and be a turret.

Your build link is very similar to what I've been using except for bats. The control affect is reduced so I usually drop a DoT skill on the target and hit with something else at the same time to pile on damage. I've been finding hex converts DH followers and Wizard mirror image. Doesn't target the player very often.

It's still in PTR so who knows what will change before go live though.
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 1/31/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
yah what bats..

stacking different dots and then spraying them down with um...b.a... er nevermind doesn't work at all.

i used that build for quite a bit. Spiders though only work on chars with lowehp. Stacking multidots and backing it up with SB is the only way i've found to take down larger EHP players

I'd drop the spiders for Toad of hugness, even spider queen, or locust (if you find you are up against a wall of ehp)
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 1/31/2013 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
it's probably calculated per each cast. by cast i mean each time it reduces mana.

there are some extensive tests on the chinese forum, here is the summary if i read it correctly:

2. # of dots per cast = 1/ats*10, time between each dot is 0.5 sec; ex, if ur ats =1.2, u will get 8 dots per cast
3. it stacks and but caps around 540% actual dmg. but it only lasts about 8-10 casts. after that, dmg returns 270%. this part is confusing.. i guess what it means is that the dots stop stacking after 8 casts? which means 4 seconds if m ats is 1.0?

i don't know all the actual math behind but from what i've read and tested it ramps up much like cloud of bats. Attack speed seems to help the ramp up time and it quickly goes from meh.. to death.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 1/31/2013 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Found a good one with leaping spiders. Jars have range and then leap distances so gets those DH hiding over the bridge with their sentries all over the place lol. Flushes them out of the hiding places. I was playing 2.04 IAS so was pretty fun. Combined damage could still do a number.

The complainers of haunt are victims of Skorn builds I think. High IAS = less hit damage. Skorn = big damage and nice haunt damage.

Hex and unload with corpse bomb or lobs with a little haunt and jet outta there. Very fun and then get pissed off players for all your cheap shots lol. Usually DH's or wizards casually walking around with storm armour.
Reply Quote
corpse bomb is by far my favorite spell in PVP. It doesn't work so great on the big ehp guys but you can really use it to position people where you want them
Reply Quote
<dedicated plague bats user, it is amazing in pvp, best part is the animation

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ceigYU!Wea!bbZcba
Edited by Chewzilla#1721 on 1/31/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

i don't know all the actual math behind but from what i've read and tested it ramps up much like cloud of bats. Attack speed seems to help the ramp up time and it quickly goes from meh.. to death.

it does not ramp up, it is just a dot, so what is happening is that you are layering 3 second dots one after another. After 3 seconds of chaincasting, old stacks will start to wear off and your dps will cap. It cast twice over your attack speed, so if you are at 1.4 attacks/sec, you can sputter bats in ~.35s chunks. One unit of attack speed does 270% weapon damage, it's just dealt over 3 seconds, the ramp-up you are seeing is an illusion and a miscommunication in the tooltip.
Edited by Chewzilla#1721 on 1/31/2013 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
well, the tool tip say it ramps up, and the effect be it an illusion or not is a ramp. Starts off doing lesser damage then does more until it hits it's max. How it goes about ramping it up be it allowing it to stack or simply increase damage over time is still ramping up the total damage it does from a single attack to a multiple "tick/attack"

Really just waxing semantics aren't we?
Reply Quote
Cloud of bats ramps up, you move, you lose your dps. Plague bats does not ramp up, it does the same dps whether you cast it for 1 second or 10 seconds.
Reply Quote
If you say so. No point in playing the "1up" game with you.

Nice edit.
Reply Quote
edit was to clear up the math, because 1.4 attack speed means you attack about every .7s, but anyway, the fact that you are pointing out my edits as if they are an attempt to discredit you says something about that '1up' game you aren't playing.
Reply Quote
I bid you good day.
Reply Quote
Don't mind Brahm, he thinks every edit is an attempt to discredit him. Even if you do it to clear things up he'll think it's to spite him. He has some type of complex going on. He'll probably think I'm "following" him as well--I mean there's only so many threads that are created within this WD section.

Plague of bats is awful in PvP unless you're locked into 1v1 situation, even then, there are still better skills to use out there.

Do not use it.

-Edit- Uh oh, used the edit button. I'm going to get it now.
Edited by Lmaoonadee#1981 on 2/1/2013 1:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Plague of bats is awful in PvP unless you're locked into 1v1 situation, even then, there are still better skills to use out there.

Do not use it.

what nuke are you suggesting for pvp?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]