Diablo® III

critical hit chance cap!? 75% confirmed+F&Q

View profile
Hi all

I was just testing how much critical hit chance I can get but it hit capacity limit at 75% without sharpshooter. Do anyone know anything about this.

on theory I thought we can have 95% without SS but it cap out 75%. I need someone else to confirm. Thanks.

edit: F&Q
*cap for all class is 75%, the only classes that can achieve this are Barbarian and Demon Hunter

Q. How how can I stack critical hit chance?
A. For a Demon Hunter:
5% (base)
6% helm
6% bracers
10% gloves
10% amulet
6% ring
6% ring
1% inna's pants/belt
==50%=====================
7% nata's 2pc
7% nata's 2pc
1% nata's bow
1% nata's bow
1% inna's pants/belt, or tal rasha belt
1% Beckon Sail
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/beckon-sail
==68%=====================
3% follower
==71%=====================
10% caltrops (active)
10% archery (passive)
10% quiver/shield
==75%=====================
*the above skills/gears does not stack over 75%
3% +3% per second sharpshooter (passive)
==78%=====================
to
=100%=====================

Q. Does skill bonus stack over 75 cap?
A. Yes, if the skill bonus you have last 15 seconds or more (need someone to confirm this with a wizard and pinpoint armor). So any bonus on gear will stack on top and give you more critical hit chance.

link to Poekel's video for 100% strafe
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7810052251?page=1#19

Q. Which item give critical hit chance bonus on skill
A. Strafe, Multishot, and Rapid Fire
2-7%
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/stone-of-jordan
2-6%
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/skull-grasp
2-7%
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maras-kaleidoscope
==20%=====================
75% to 95%
A. Strafe
2-8%
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/natalyas-embrace
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-inquisitor
==28%=====================
75% to 100% (103%)
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 2/3/2013 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I thinks it's 73%
Reply Quote
View profile
02/02/2013 10:52 PMPosted by BurningJC007
I thinks it's 73%

I'm capped at 75% I have 86% with gear+archery so lock at 75% for sure right now,

I have another question: Are all class chc cap at 75%?
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 2/2/2013 11:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's a 75% hard cap. I ran into this a couple of months ago when I was playing around with a crit build. As far as I know only Sharpshooter can increase your crit above 75% on the stat sheet, things like Bait the Trap are limited to taking you to 75% as well.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:02 PMPosted by Myon
It's a 75% hard cap. I ran into this a couple of months ago when I was playing around with a crit build. As far as I know only Sharpshooter can increase your crit above 75% on the stat sheet, things like Bait the Trap are limited to taking you to 75% as well.

were you able to nail down if something like 8% strafe was able to go above this?
[edit] nvm this would be impractical to verify
Edited by zoid#1554 on 2/2/2013 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/02/2013 11:02 PMPosted by Myon

I have notice that none of the skills work. I was hoping to get 95% with follower just use SS to crit 99% but its not happening. This kind of disappoint to see a cap on chance.

Is there a cap on damage? I don't have enough gear to test this.
Reply Quote
Haha I don't think so, not that I know of anyway. It just so happens I'm in my Sharpshooter trolling gear in my profile, I think hitting a million damage 'unbuffed' with only SS should be quite possible with current gear, if there's a cap I'm not seeing it yet.

Anyway, one thing I'm also not sure about is if skill bonuses that add crit are allowed to go above the cap either. For example if you are at 75% crit and you wear a 5% Multishot crit SoJ, does your Multishot have 75% crit or 80% crit?
Edited by Myon#1319 on 2/2/2013 11:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Haha I don't think so, not that I know of anyway. It just so happens I'm in my Sharpshooter trolling gear in my profile, I think hitting a million damage 'unbuffed' with only SS should be quite possible with current gear, if there's a cap I'm not seeing it yet.

Anyway, one thing I'm also not sure about is if skill bonuses that add crit are allowed to go above the cap either. For example if you are at 75% crit and you wear a 5% Multishot crit SoJ, does your Multishot have 75% crit or 80% crit?

I don't think there is a way to test that, its a chance, right. Unless you have 100% all the time, there is no way to know. Personally I think skill should always be on top of the gear cap, ie archery +10 chc will give 85% instead. Gana try out with my barb to see where is the cap this time.
Reply Quote
Barbs can go somewhere above 80%, I don't know which of the abilities lets it over the 75% "cap" though.
Reply Quote
View profile
I tested with my barbarian

I got
75% with passive and gear,
78% with follower added
than I boost it with active skills
93% for 6 second.

then I tested with
65% with passive and gear,
68% with follower
than I boost it with active skills
93% for 6 second.

I should be getting 98% but no. The cap is 75% for barbarian as while
+5% with ruthless (passive)
+3% with battle rage (active) 60 sec
+10% with berserker (active) 15 sec

any other skills that adds critical hit chance (+10% overpower (6 sec), +10% revenge (12 sec)) are ignored just like the skill for hunter (caltrops).

Unfortunately demon hunter don't have as many active passive as barb. SS is the passive that is equal to ruthless.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:14 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

I think the max possible is 770% critical hit damage based on current gear.

+50% ring
+50% ring
+100% amulet
+50% glove
+50% belt
+210% perfect 1h xbow with emerald
+50% base critical hit damage
Reply Quote
View profile
02/03/2013 12:37 AMPosted by Iria

I think the max possible is 770% critical hit damage based on current gear.

+50% ring
+50% ring
+100% amulet
+50% glove
+50% belt
+50% base critical hit damage

gear is at 800% without Marquise
+50% ring
+50% ring
+100% amulet
+50% glove
+50% belt
+200% perfect 1hand with R.star
+200% perfect 1hand with R.star
+50% set bonus
+50% base

and with active skill it goes to 850%.

I hope there is no cap on this or getting gear will be stupid.
Find/buy something then equip it.... and find out you have capped your limit.
Reply Quote

I don't think there is a way to test that, its a chance, right. Unless you have 100% all the time, there is no way to know. Personally I think skill should always be on top of the gear cap, ie archery +10 chc will give 85% instead. Gana try out with my barb to see where is the cap this time.

Skill bonuses on gear (cc for strafe or multi) go above the cap. I could upload a video with 100% strafe crit chance and no crit hit display. No damage numbers at all. If I go for 99.5% cc I occasionaly get a white damage number.
Reply Quote

Skill bonuses on gear (cc for strafe or multi) go above the cap. I could upload a video with 100% strafe crit chance and no crit hit display. No damage numbers at all. If I go for 99.5% cc I occasionaly get a white damage number.

what collection of gear kept you at 75% base while using
cloak
maras
soj
skull grasp
Reply Quote

cloak
maras
soj
skull grasp

72.5% base, 100.5% strafe (28% strafe; 8, 7, 7, 6)
5% base, 6% head, 8.5% neck, 6% bracers, 10% offhand, 10% gloves, 6% ring, 1% Nats Bow, 7% Nats bonus, 10% Archery, 3% SS (to be able to dismiss the Scoundrel).
Reply Quote

cloak
maras
soj
skull grasp

72.5% base, 100.5% strafe (28% strafe; 8, 7, 7, 6)
5% base, 6% head, 8.5% neck, 6% bracers, 10% offhand, 10% gloves, 6% ring, 1% Nats Bow, 7% Nats bonus, 10% Archery, 3% SS (to be able to dismiss the Scoundrel).

shsh might taint results?
I'd have used bait-the trap for the +10%

need crit% maras/skull to get enough for 75% base for me to test
hard for me to find those items - they start at 50m for decent ones
Reply Quote
I didn't even know there was a cap.

Does the archery passive go over this? Say I'm at 68% CC with a crossbow, then I switch to a HXbow... does the +10% CC from archery put me at 78% CC? Or do I hit the cap and stop at 75%?

Edit: Just read some of the posts more carefully. Apparantly the archery passive does NOT go past 75%, is this confirmed? Glad I found this before I made some of my next gear choices.

Edit 2: I'm at 60.5% CC right now. Once I ditch my hellfire ring for a ring with 6% crit, I'll be at 66.5. THEN when I switch to my Calamity I'll be 1.5% over the cap, thereby wasting that 1.5%. Weeeeeaaaaakk...
Edited by Hoblin#1659 on 2/3/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
If it's any consolation, if somehow you manage to go about +6% over the cap, you can switch to a high dex + no crit Mempo and save a !@#$ton of gold haha. You'll even come out ahead too since you'll technically be up to 100 dex ahead of the dex + crit Mempo dudes. I'm not sure if there's even a gear set like that.
Reply Quote
Here's a vid:
http://youtu.be/F2CMJFSKbfM

Started off with 100.5% crit chance (Nats CB), no white damage numbers (for some reason dying seems to do some damage though). After dying I equipped Danettas, 99.5% crit chance and got 9 white damage numbers. At the end I took off Maras for 84% crit chance just to get to more than 1 non crit/second.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Myon
If it's any consolation, if somehow you manage to go about +6% over the cap, you can switch to a high dex + no crit Mempo and save a !@#$ton of gold haha. You'll even come out ahead too since you'll technically be up to 100 dex ahead of the dex + crit Mempo dudes. I'm not sure if there's even a gear set like that.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I plan to have my crit chance at 68% very soon. Then switching to a hand xbow WOULD put me at 78%, but I'll really be at 75% because of the cap. Switching to a no-crit Mempo would put me at 72%. Which is only 3% below the cap, and I can deal with that, or at the very least I can look for a Mempo with LESS than perfect crit and still save some money. Whew... gearing is hard!

Another question... does the 3% bonus from the Scoundrel go above the cap?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]