Diablo® III

High MP Witch Doctor help?

What am I doing wrong? I can barely do MP2. I want to be able to do MP10. Gear or skill suggestions anyone?
Reply Quote
get more HP , drop pierce the veil . get more mana regen , 4/5 zuni pieces , drop zombie handler and fierce loyalty, use blood ritual and vision quest(If you are going to use darts)
Reply Quote
Are you sure? I changed the skills and my dps went down by 21k. Will the gear changes make it go back up? You need like 200k dps for MP10 right?
Reply Quote
I can do MP10 pretty well now. Just my DPS isn't high so can take a little while when elites scatter or have shielding. Haunt for constant DoT and other skills add up and makes it faster.

I use fierce loyalty with 3K life regen and works very good for pets. Blood ritual, vision quest and 4 piece of zuni set gear so you can keep casting skills. The make or break was getting an echoing fury with higher fear percentage and using rain of toads with AC or Bears and haunt or well of souls. Medusa spiders doesn't proc as much fear but does slow monsters way down and makes them easier to deal with. That one works pretty good with bear spamming.

My AR is around 600 and armor about 4200 with follower. I'm not running around like crazy either to stay alive.
Reply Quote
Bro, you are miles from MP10 - as you said, you're struggling on MP2. Listen to Jimbob - he is kindly saying your Vit sucks, your mana is terrible, your gear needs a complete overhaul, your AR is very low and the build completely wonky. Your goal is to hit MP5 at the moment - once you are doing that comfortably, then we can help you tweak a level at a time.

What is your budget? We can help with the AH. But it needs to be done in tandem with the build, too. It's not enough to say you want to play top-level. You want to tank? Glass Cannon? Proc? PvP?

Once you figure out your playstyle, check back and we'll give you a hand.
Reply Quote
sell your gems and get some good gear
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 07:10 PMPosted by SorenMorbid
Are you sure? I changed the skills and my dps went down by 21k. Will the gear changes make it go back up? You need like 200k dps for MP10 right?

Your DPS is exactly 0 when you run out of MP.
Reply Quote
I would say your armor is good and AR is minimum. Could be worse. You have high INT which gives a good starting base so looks like your sitting around 528 AR. I have 4200 armor and 606 AR and it's fine but I have a decent build for life steal / regen.

Life is definitely hurting you though. You will get 1 shot by a lot of things. Around 36K life is where I was finding things to be better. 50K is a nice level to shoot for. Higher if you can (PvP in mind and more for an MP10 level / ubbers). One of the first things to change.

Sell gems someone says, pretty much ya or stash them for now if you have some gold already. I sold mine and built the +50's and lost 300 dps per gem. Oh well. You could start and swap in some VIT's to get you to a point to take more damage and then work in your better gear from there.

For regen of life I have a base of 3K life regen (including the blood ritual bonus) and then 2.8 life steal on my weapon. I used to have 600 LoH but recent juggling of items I'm down to what's on my blackthorns. Pets selection was another. I tested a lot and use big stinker for the gas cloud which procs life steal and leeching beasts. It adds a ton to survival. Stacking life on hit with life steal was better for elite damage reflect was. 1.0.7 will change that so I don't think its nearly as bad. An example of what regen I have is I can stand in ghom's poison cloud.

Mana regen was a big one that was holding me back on higher MP8+. I was at 55 and used widow spiders to help with that. My build was Well of Souls primary, Widow spiders secondary and bears on number 3. 1/2 pets and 4 spirit walk. Basically hold right click spiders and space bears and could still do some good damage. WoS / Spiders worked good for range and closer with bears. I used spirit walk honoured guest as a mana regen crutch too. It worked but didn't compare to the zuni set. I didn't bother with cc on helm. I found a cheap one for 85k with decent mana regen and now have around 127 with vision quest and if I use widow spiders I can pretty spam bears forever. Frog and helm both add to the mana pool too.

Weapon was the last thing to add. I dropped the crit gem unfortunately but still gained some DPS. I managed to get the fury for around 5 mil if you can find one for that. The better survival build I tested was acid cloud corpse bomb / rain of toads and haunt draining spirit. It worked in areas like fields of slaughter, nasty yellow pack in act 3 (soldier locked it behind doors), arreat core, phase beast packs and whatever else MP10 and was doing it with 0 death rate. It still happens though as with everything but was pretty nice to keep things in fear.
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 2/3/2013 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
@ Shockwave - I have a hard time picturing you on MP10 solo with 110K DPS. Yeah you have the life regen to run around there, but killing things must take you forever. I don't think your build is a good model to present to someone because you are giving up too much DPS for your way too high life regen.

What MP can you do solo at a reasonable kill rate?
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 2/3/2013 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
What does reasonable kill rate mean? When it comes to MP10, I've found reasonable goes out the window and sustainable non-death is the only way. I can do MP10, but the bosses, for instance, gain so much more HP compared to MP9, is it worth it? I am not at all surprised Shockwave can do MP10. I can and I think he can as well. My profile now is for MP1 farming.

For OP,
You need more HP, desperately. Fierce loyalty is not bad for your regen rate, and blood ritual gets better with more HP and pets live longer with better HP.

Using horrify frightening aspect will help pets survive better. If you cast FA and then summon pets while your armor is temporarily doubled, they will keep the armor until they die. This is why I use dogs. I use leaching beasts because they'll live longer.

Splinters and VQ can be replaced with Spirit barrage well of souls and Rush of Essence. Much better damage per second.

Add me and we can play/talk specifics, MCP#1477.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 07:21 PMPosted by manvan
What is your budget? We can help with the AH. But it needs to be done in tandem with the build, too. It's not enough to say you want to play top-level. You want to tank? Glass Cannon? Proc? PvP?

Judged by the number of Rad Stars on armor and the poor gears choice. OP is surely loaded and never really played the game.

To OP,

Replace all your WD gears and go 0dog.
Reply Quote
@ Shockwave - I have a hard time picturing you on MP10 solo with 110K DPS. Yeah you have the life regen to run around there, but killing things must take you forever. I don't think your build is a good model to present to someone because you are giving up too much DPS for your way too high life regen.

What MP can you do solo at a reasonable kill rate?

Depends on a few things. Elite packs being one. 120+ mil life or 26 mil, shielding, knockback, constant freeze making you move around more. I can spam bears for as long as I need them so it's good for mobs. Haunt + Frogs add up and seems to take stuff down fast. Combination of haunt + bears + frogs and feared elites in corners.

Solo MP10 is better than in a party I've been finding. Anything solo seems to be better for kill speed. I might play MP7/8 for decent MF amount and faster progress for farming. MP5/6 is pretty quick pace so I might call either of those reasonable for decent gold, exp, drops and chance for keys.

Really if I'm after keys and nothing is dropping I'm using mp10 for that. Plus been playing it lately to see what I actually get for drops but honestly doesn't seem to be too much of a benefit for farming right now. After 1.0.7 EXP buff I can pretty much dump hellfires I have been trying to get and go get a better ring and see what levels me faster between 7-10.
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 2/4/2013 12:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Bro, you are miles from MP10 - as you said, you're struggling on MP2. Listen to Jimbob - he is kindly saying your Vit sucks, your mana is terrible, your gear needs a complete overhaul, your AR is very low and the build completely wonky. Your goal is to hit MP5 at the moment - once you are doing that comfortably, then we can help you tweak a level at a time.

Once you figure out your playstyle, check back and we'll give you a hand.

thanks for nicely typing out my reply. i was going to go with rucking fetarded instead of wonky but to each his own :).
Reply Quote
View profile
get more HP , drop pierce the veil . get more mana regen , 4/5 zuni pieces , drop zombie handler and fierce loyalty, use blood ritual and vision quest(If you are going to use darts)[/quote

That has to be the nicest way someone can say everything the OP is doing is wrong. ha! Props for putting it nicely. Also... a dart centered build will not cut it post ias nerf... that was what... 1.0.1?

[quote="78092499008"]Are you sure? I changed the skills and my dps went down by 21k. Will the gear changes make it go back up? You need like 200k dps for MP10 right?

The reason why your dps went down is because you took PtV off. Upper MP levels are all about maintaining mana to cast high damage skills (bears) which then sustain your life with LS. PtV means you are out of mana after a few casts and there goes all your life sustain and damage. 200k is a good place to shoot for to do MP10 faster... but you have to have the eHP to support the dps as well. Getting 200k dps is easy... getting 200k dps with 3700+ armour, 650+ AR, 50k+ hp with ample LS/LoH is a little more difficult.
Reply Quote
I'm going to stream a little tonight on MP 10 when I get home from work. Anyone reading this that is curious how to gear and or spec and be viable in MP 10 can do something similar.

Mana regen is king for sustained damage and survival.

http://www.twitch.tv/nefariousjay, will start the stream around 7 PM EST. I'll also field any questions or controversy!

Succubus and the big fatty Imps with reflect damage are an absolute bane of mine though... 1.0.7 can't come soon enough!
Reply Quote
Are there any Skorn MP10 users here? I didn't try MP10 yet, but i'd like to compare my gear to theirs... to see what needs upgrading.

I know i need 1350+ dps version of Skorn (5+ LS ; 190+ CD ; 300 INT), but that is out of reach right now... it's on to do list :D The one I have si also good tho. But other than that, don't know...

EDIT: This is my WD - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Bartuc-2644/hero/2728276
Edited by Bartuc#2644 on 2/4/2013 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I wouldn't consider myself an avid Skorn MP10 player, MP8 is where I like to run on an everyday basis (it takes too long to kill things on 9 and 10 for my taste). Feel free to check out my gear.

You definitely need an LS Skorn, a good CC/CD ring instead of the HF, armor over 4000, and more HP, and you need to lay in 25K more DPS (that will get you started).
Reply Quote
108k DPS here with bears build, 56k life and 2.8% lifesteal; works fine until MP6...I don't like Skorn and 2-hand weapons in general. Just my two cents; feel free to check my gear if it helps you
Reply Quote
My WD 220k dps 100k hp 800AR still have her hard time in mp 10.So what you need for mp 10 is alot better than mine.
Reply Quote
http://www.twitch.tv/nefariousjay

Streaming now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]