Diablo® III

Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, or POE?

Refer to previous thread for my comparison.

07/12/2013 01:58 AMPosted by DigitalHero
Let's be honest: if you had paid $49.99 or $59.99 for POE, most of us would feel ripped off.

But i already paid for D3 and Tl and D3 is by far the most cheated i felt. 1 person has paid over 20k for PoE. Do you have a message for him?

It's lacking a huge amount of polish.

Called beta for a reason. If you thing D3 game play was fun, go play D3 beta. Ironically its more fun.

If we could get a game that had D3's combat, technical polish, and presentation, combined with POE's old-school style RPG mechanics and concepts, it would be the perfect game for me.

But we wont get it. GGG and Runic don't have the resources and financing, and Blizzard only cares about milking your $. You decide where to go from here.
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 7/12/2013 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by DigitalHero
If we could get a game that had D3's combat, technical polish, and presentation, combined with POE's old-school style RPG mechanics and concepts, it would be the perfect game for me.

http://www.grimdawn.com/
Reply Quote
Both are strictly worse than D2, but I vastly prefer D3 despite the horrible itemization over TL2 despite I got the latter for $5.

Why? For all it's flaws D3 at least gets the most basic thing correct: Visibility. Words are easy to see, I can easily tell a sword is a sword and boots are boots in the inventory without mouse hover, it is easy to distinguish the monsters from the environment, and whether they are alive or dead and it is also easy to see my own spells in the midst of spells cast by enemies etc etc. TL2 fails miserably in this regard, everything looks so indistinct from each other like somebody decided to paint pastel colors all over the place that my eyes start to hurt even minutes in.

I don't hate games with simple graphics. But I don't like games that suffers from above mentioned visibility problems.
Edited by Overpowered#1171 on 7/19/2013 5:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Both are strictly worse than D2, but I vastly prefer D3 despite the horrible itemization over TL2 despite I got the latter for $5.

Why? For all it's flaws D3 at least gets the most basic thing correct: Visibility. Words are easy to see, I can easily tell a sword is a sword and boots are boots in the inventory without mouse hover, it is easy to distinguish the monsters from the environment, and whether they are alive or dead and it is also easy to see my own spells in the midst of spells cast by enemies etc etc. TL2 fails miserably in this regard, everything looks so indistinct from each other like somebody decided to paint pastel colors all over the place that my eyes start to hurt even minutes in.

I don't hate games with simple graphics. But I don't like games that suffers from above mentioned visibility problems.

I've heard my friend complain that in PoE, enemies blend in moreso than D3, so it's hard to tell where to target. Given that, when I play it, I see where they are coming from (depending on map), but it doesn't stop me from targeting correctly.

Personally D3 graphically is far/FAR too WoWified for my likes. The graphic detail of PoE is superb and I have to scratch my head when I hear comments about how D3 has better graphics. It's subjective. I'd say it's over obvious if you want detail, PoE > D3, whereas if you're into the WoW like cartoons, D3>PoE.
Reply Quote

I

I've heard my friend complain that in PoE, enemies blend in moreso than D3, so it's hard to tell where to target. Given that, when I play it, I see where they are coming from (depending on map), but it doesn't stop me from targeting correctly.

Personally D3 graphically is far/FAR too WoWified for my likes. The graphic detail of PoE is superb and I have to scratch my head when I hear comments about how D3 has better graphics. It's subjective. I'd say it's over obvious if you want detail, PoE > D3, whereas if you're into the WoW like cartoons, D3>PoE.

If any game developer wants to go cartooony they should at least for the sake of all of us take design cues from TF2. It ain't Crysis level technically but it sure as is aesthetically amazing in the sense the visibility is wonderfully done in that game.

BTW the reason why I love the graphics from the Source games so much it because they have very clear-cut edges that makes it easy to tell things on the screen.
Reply Quote
I urge people to give Marvel Heroes a try. it is very very good.
Reply Quote
Diablo III followed very, very closely by Torchlight II.

Path of Exile a very distant 5th (behind Titan Quest and the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing).
Reply Quote
Diablo 3's gameplay + TL2's Itemization and pet system + PoE's skill tree, potion system and atmosphere = best RPG. Shame it doesn't exist.

As for what I prefer, I've been playing PoE a lot lately. I go back to TL2 once in awhile, but there's something about it that just doesn't keep me fully invested in it (probably due to the art style). And D3 I haven't touched since patch 1.03. It didn't impress me then, and the changes Blizzard's made since then sure as hell hasn't convinced me to reinstall D3.
Edited by Retloclive#1656 on 7/31/2013 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Let's be honest: if you had paid $49.99 or $59.99 for POE, most of us would feel ripped off.

Considering I've played Path of Exile over 10 times more than D3 I would say its easily worth that amount of money and I feel far more ripped off having bought D3.

Kind of silly to bring it up though. PoE is an unfinished free to play game and D3 is a fully released game (that's also more pay 2 win).
Edited by stryker#1589 on 8/1/2013 8:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]