Diablo® III

Why are trifecta rolls so rare?

Trifecta gear is anything with the following three affixes for those who don't know:
Critical Hit Damage
Critical Hit Chance
Increased Attack Speed

Other desirable affix combo are common and drop several times a day:
- Int, Vit, Resist All
- LS, (str/dex/int), socket on weapons regardless of damage
- Life on Hit, (str/dex/int), socket on weapons regardless of damage

What makes trifecta so rare then?
Are the odds of rolling affixes not equal?
IE: Is there a 80% chance to roll main stats vs a 5% chance to roll CHC?

In my experience, I've played close to 1300 hours without a single trifecta drop. If affix rolls are generated at random the odds of never seeing one (regardless of the rolls on the trifecta) seems staggeringly low.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 2/4/2013 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:19 PMPosted by ellisD
Is this even a question?

It is, you missed it. He is asking if some attributes are weighted to be more rare than others.
Reply Quote
vit + mainstat can be 1 single affix of it's own. You can see this on every 6 affix rare
that has rolled seven stats.

While int, vit, all resist is most often a 2 affix roll, ias, cc, cd is always a 3 affix roll. A specific 3 affix roll is surely more rare than a specific two affix roll.
Edited by littleman#1651 on 2/4/2013 6:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
vit + mainstat can be 1 single affix of it's own. You can see this on every 6 affix rare
that has rolled seven stats.

While int, vit, all resist is most often a 2 affix roll, ias, cc, cd is always a 3 affix roll. A specific 3 affix roll is surely more rare than a specific two affix roll.

That's good to know and actually clears up a lot.

That would also explain why I don't see a lot of Pickup Radius + Gold Find + Monk (sweeping wind) helms out there either. Trifecta was just an easy go to example.
Reply Quote
They are all suffixes, which you need to have more of which is ALSO rare, besides stacking those three particular ones
Reply Quote
Trifecta gear is anything with the following three affixes for those who don't know:
Critical Hit Damage
Critical Hit Chance
Increased Attack Speed

Other desirable affix combo are common and drop several times a day:
- Int, Vit, Resist All
- LS, (str/dex/int), socket on weapons regardless of damage
- Life on Hit, (str/dex/int), socket on weapons regardless of damage

What makes trifecta so rare then?
Are the odds of rolling affixes not equal?
IE: Is there a 80% chance to roll main stats vs a 5% chance to roll CHC?

In my experience, I've played close to 1300 hours without a single trifecta drop. If affix rolls are generated at random the odds of never seeing one (regardless of the rolls on the trifecta) seems staggeringly low.

uh because the game is a time sink and they want you to use the auction house.

the game was designed around the fact that the rolls are extremely random and they want you to use the GAH and RMAH. simple as that.
Reply Quote
In close to 1,200 hours I have rolled 2 trifecta items. The first was a level 62 ring about 2 months after the game launched. 13 min dmg, 73 intel, 27 vita, 7% ias, 29% cd, 3% crit. I accidentally sold it to the vendor while popping goblins on the puzzle ring. My bad! The second was a level 62 amulet on PTR about a week ago. 212 intel, 6% ias, 88% cd, 7.5% crit and a socket.

I've found lots of main stat + vit + all res crap. I am going to venture a guess and say that yes, certain affixes have a higher chance of rolling.

I usually pick up every single rare, even the 2 hand weps and stuff I know will be junk, because I like to see what types of stuff rolls. Trifecta has a lower chance to roll than other things.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:15 PMPosted by babinro
In my experience, I've played close to 1300 hours without a single trifecta drop.

Bullsh!t. You should start picking up rares then.

I've played about 300 hours and have gotten a few, and I don't even pick up that many items.

Playing my WD from lv1~58 I picked up about 20 rares total along the way (rings+amulets) and got this quadfecta amulet with mainstat yesterday:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Koric-1513/hero/27537052

Level 50 quadfecta lol might easily go for 10m despite having values below the minimum for lv60 ammies
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Koric
In my experience, I've played close to 1300 hours without a single trifecta drop.

Bullsh!t. You should start picking up rares then.

I've played about 300 hours and have gotten a few, and I don't even pick up that many items.

Playing my WD from lv1~58 I picked up about 20 rares total along the way (rings+amulets) and got this quadfecta amulet with mainstat yesterday:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Koric-1513/hero/27537052

Level 50 quadfecta lol might easily go for 10m despite having values below the minimum for lv60 ammies

Call BS if you must but it's true.
I'm not posting this as a means of complaining about my drops.
Look at my profile, my gear isn't exactly terrible.

I don't skip rares or even blues if you believe it.
I get most my gold from quick sales of mats and yellows over big ticket loot drops.
This does make me inherently less efficient of a farmer though.
Reply Quote
This might be a little off topic. But a couple times I have invested a decent amount of gold into crafting, as more of an experiment than anything. And twice I have crafted trifecta gloves! Now, neither of these gloves had a main stat (very disappointing), but that's beside the point. I have found a pair as well, but only one.

I guess part of the reason that I mentioned that, is because if certain stats are indeed "weighted," maybe crafting could prove that theory. If it is easier to roll trifecta gloves by crafting, then stats might be weighted right?

Just a thought...
Reply Quote
I'm at 500 hours and I have never seen a trifecta anything.

It does seem that having all 3 roll on the same piece seems a bit too rare for some reason, for me at least.
Reply Quote
I'm at 500 hours and I have never seen a trifecta anything.

It does seem that having all 3 roll on the same piece seems a bit too rare for some reason, for me at least.

Im in the same boat. About 500 hours, never seen a trifecta anything.
Reply Quote
Took me a helluva lot longer to finally loot a quadfecta ammy...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ObiEdge-6118/hero/18895184
Reply Quote
you forgot avg damage
Reply Quote
http://i.imgur.com/e4Rw8T8.jpg

The combo of stats has a low probability. Then on top of that they need to roll high. Then on top of that they need + main stat modifiers. Ideal dps gloves are very very very rare. +Main + Vit + AR + ASI + CHD + CHC. Then on top of that high rolls on all the modifiers. Hence why they are so rare, the possible stat pool is so large.

Most this has been said above I believe, just was board and wanted to add my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
I think the answer is pretty simple. If we see that given 10,000 drops of the same item, that there are significantly more INT+DEX+STR trifecta rolls than there are CD+CC+IAS, then the likely answer is that the former affixes are more likely to roll than those among the latter group. Thus trifecta CD+CC+IAS appears less frequently than other more probable affixes.
Reply Quote
500 hours, and just recently seen my first trifecta items: pair of gloves with low all resists and nothing more, and a ring with phisical resist and nothing more. So both are not worth much, the ring even had low rolls.

I do think the trifecta are actual rarer than usual rolls, not just because you require 2 affixes against 3. You can start counting items with pickup radius, mf and all resists for example, also 3 affixes, and you will notice a lot more often those than the trifecta. You can think that are just as rare as the trifecta and believe that instead of that should have been a trifecta item.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]