Diablo® III

Rubies weapon damage adjustment

-deleted-
Edited by Edmericanpie#6445 on 1/31/2013 2:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just ran 2 quick mp10 Ghoms. Times are below, emerald is better even with the bugged Rubys, 1.7 live would be even less Edps. I'll do some srs testing with'em when they fix'em.

76 Seconds Ruby - 1,821,386.9 Edps

72 Seconds Emerald. - 1,922,575.1 Edps

@63% Crit Chance.
Edited by Narcolepsy#1563 on 1/31/2013 2:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just ran 2 quick mp10 Ghoms. Times are below, emerald is better even with the bugged Rubys, 1.7 live would be even less Edps. I'll do some srs testing with'em when they fix'em.

76 Seconds Ruby

72 Seconds Emerald.

good to know..
Reply Quote
It looks like CountFury's statement about black weapons and rubies may prove true. I used d3up.com to simulate marquise rubies in my MH EF and OH crit dmg OS sword (currently replaced with a Burning Axe of Sankis to experiment with fire skills). The EF showed a 7k+ DPS increase and my OH showed a decrease. Needless to say I crafted my very first radiant star ruby last night. I calculate an approximate 5.8k DPS increase from the radiant star ruby in my EF. 180k unbuffed DPS here I come! : )
Reply Quote
It's pretty simple. You have a socket in a weapon, and you want to know whether to put a ruby or an emerald in it.

If you're not dual-wielding, you just need to compare these two ratios:

Ratio #1: (AWD + ruby boost) / (AWD without ruby boost)

Ratio #2: (1 + CHC x CHD with emerald) / (1 + CHC x CHC without emerald)

If ratio #1 is higher, use the ruby; if ratio #2 is higher, use the emerald. For example, you have a weapon that does 1K per hit, 30% CHC, and 250% CHD. You're debating a +60/+60 ruby or a +70% emerald.
  • Ratio #1: 1,060 / 1,000 = 1.06
  • Ratio #2: (1 + 0.30 x 3.2) / (1 + 0.3 x 2.5) = 1.96 / 1.75 = 1.12

Take the emerald. If you have 20% CHC and 150% CHD instead:
  • Ratio #1: 1,060 / 1,000 = 1.06
  • Ratio #2: (1 + 0.20 x 2.2) / (1 + 0.2 x 1.5) = 1.44 / 1.30 = 1.11

Again, pick the emerald.

At 1K per hit, a +60 AWD ruby is going to have a very hard time competing with a +70% CHD emerald. You'd have to have very low CHC/CHD numbers, or very high ones. For example:
  • 5% CHC, 50% CHD (starting numbers): (1 + 0.05 x 1.2) / (1 + 0.05 x 0.5) = 1.06 / 1.025 = 1.034
  • 100% CHC, 1500% CHD (impossibly high numbers): (1 + 1 x 15.7) / (1 + 1 x 15) = 16.7 / 16 = 1.04375

The lower your weapon's average damage per hit, the more valuable the ruby will be. This should be obvious: if your weapon does 60 damage per strike, adding 60 damage will double your DPS every time, but adding 70% CHD will never double your DPS.

If you're dual-wielding, you'll almost always be picking the emerald. Why? Because your ruby bonus applies only to one weapon, but your CHD applies to both. Essentially, if a given S&B configuration values a +60 ruby and a +70% emerald equally, switching the shield to a second weapon strongly favors the emerald, not counting whatever CHC is on the shield. And even the CHC on the shield probably won't compensate. Adding a second weapon means that the value of the ruby is cut in half.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Treleth
It looks like CountFury's statement about black weapons and rubies may prove true. I used d3up.com to simulate marquise rubies in my MH EF and OH crit dmg OS sword (currently replaced with a Burning Axe of Sankis to experiment with fire skills). The EF showed a 7k+ DPS increase and my OH showed a decrease. Needless to say I crafted my very first radiant star ruby last night. I calculate an approximate 5.8k DPS increase from the radiant star ruby in my EF. 180k unbuffed DPS here I come! : )

Pretty sure Blizzard just announced that the ruibies aren't going to be included in black damage calculations. If that's true, they've essentially been turned into a special type of elemental damage.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Vrkhyz

Pretty sure Blizzard just announced that the ruibies aren't going to be included in black damage calculations. If that's true, they've essentially been turned into a special type of elemental damage.

Never mind; I read the official Blizzard post again, and it implies that rubies will still benefit from the "elemental" damage increase on Zuni boots and similar items, but that they won't benefit from the +X% Damage affix on the weapon itself. So you can modify the ratio I posted earlier, as follows:

(AWD + ruby bonus x [1 + elemental damage increase]) / (AWD without ruby)

This probably won't make or break anyone's decision unless they're heavily invested in the Adds X% to <Elemental> Damage affix.
Reply Quote
(AWD + ruby bonus x [1 + elemental damage increase]) / (AWD without ruby)

This probably won't make or break anyone's decision unless they're heavily invested in the Adds X% to <Elemental> Damage affix.

That is what my understanding is. I figured I'd find out with certainty when I put the ruby in my EF rather than get into a debate about it. My laziness knows no bounds. : )
Edited by Treleth#1141 on 1/31/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
As far as I can tell, without the black-damage bug, there is virtually no situation in which a Ruby will be better for me :(

It appears to be worth it for 1 of 2 weps in a duel wield combo and any situation in which your weapon's APS is very high.

I will actually hop on the PTR ans test later today but things look grim as-is.

<sadface>
Reply Quote
As far as I can tell, without the black-damage bug, there is virtually no situation in which a Ruby will be better for me :(

<sadface>

oh but there is. ;)
just not with that current skorn you have, even though it's great.

speaking of which, take a look at the numbers in your skorn's x--y damage.
Now do you believe in numerology? ;D
Edited by CountFury#1192 on 1/31/2013 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

<sadface>

oh but there is. ;)
just not with that current skorn you have, even though it's great.

speaking of which, take a look at the numbers in your skorn's x--y damage.
Now do you believe in numerology? ;D

Isn't that great? I love my skorn! haha :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]