Diablo® III

Does auction house affect item drops

I have seen various threads mentioning that the content in the auction house can affect in-game drops rates. Is there any truth to that?
Reply Quote
No. It's all tinfoil hat speculation.

The drops were obviously tuned with the auction house in mind, but the house does not directly affect the chance for anything to drop on the fly.
Reply Quote
No. It's all tinfoil hat speculation.

The drops were obviously tuned with the auction house in mind, but the house does not directly affect the chance for anything to drop on the fly.

Took the words right out of my mouth!
Reply Quote

That statement makes no sense.
Reply Quote
I think he means that the drops were calculated with respect to the auction house overall, as in they're lower than they would be if the auction house did not exist, but the drops are not constantly changed minute by minute in relation to current auction house inventory.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:04 PMPosted by TastyGarden
I think he means that the drops were calculated with respect to the auction house overall, as in they're lower than they would be if the auction house did not exist, but the drops are not constantly changed minute by minute in relation to current auction house inventory.

This^

Basically the values below were created with the auction house in mind, but the chances of u finding a certain item such as a legendary is not based on how many are in the AH anyone who tells u otherwise is just spouting tinfoil hat theorys, however there really is no 100% way to know, we only go off what blizz is telling us.

Inferno – Act I

iLvl 61: 23.9%
iLvl 62: 12.6%
iLvl 63: 4.8%

Inferno – Act II

iLvl 61: 23.3%
iLvl 62: 18.6%
iLvl 63: 9.3%

Inferno – Act III and Act IV

iLvl 61: 27.1%
iLvl 62: 21.7%
iLvl 63: 16.3%
Reply Quote
Bashiok once said that Blizzard had to factor in the AH when considering loot drop percentages. People with very little reasoning power took this to mean that the AH controls the drop rate in the game.

This DOESN'T mean the AH messes with loot %'s on the fly like the tinfoil hatters seem to think.
Reply Quote
Here's the Bashiok quote:

"The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks."
Reply Quote
And no, that wasn't the quote that got him in trouble. This one was:

“I too worry that we won’t be able to meet the expectations people have built up for themselves. Part of my job is managing people’s expectations, so… eh… stop it. Stop thinking about how awesome this game could be. Just imagine it’s a new M. Night Shyamalan movie. Sure Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable had it’s moments, but this right here is the sequel to The Village … or The Happening … or Signs … or any of the movies besides the two I first mentioned. So just like, lower those expectations, but still definitely buy the game please, and everything will be just fine. K?”
Reply Quote
it's actually quite true.. anyone that says otherwise is either on Blizzard's PR payroll, or just blind.

oh...and please get another phrase. "tin foil hat" makes you sound like a 2 year old.
Reply Quote

"The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks."

This...the fact that the RNG for loot drops is completely random and causes 99% of drops to be useless is directly tied to the existence of the auction house. This is sad because is goes directly against the initial comments made by blizzard officials at BlizzCon prior to the release of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirE9nd8ILc - here they state that the RMAH was only set up to provide a safe way to sell items and that it would not affect drop rates, quality, and quantity of items ingame. Obviously, something changed between this time and the release of the game in 2012
Reply Quote

Not only has Bash said this, but at least one other Blizzard CM has admitted to it as well.
Reply Quote
AH does not affect item drops. It was simply a factor when determining item drop %'s before the game was even released.

I.e.

Dev 1: So the drop % on Legendary items will be at what, like 1 or 2%?

Dev 2: What about the AH? Doesn't that have to be factored in?

Dev 1: Oh yeah! kk, we'll make Legendary drop rate at like 0.02% instead.
Reply Quote
It takes less time to self-find the items needed to clear inferno than it did to self-find the items needed to clear D2 hell.
Reply Quote
it is a factor for the drop rate being initially low.

what with paragon levels and mp lvls and doubled legendary drops and m63 rare item drops, i don't think the drop rates are low today.

I mean at plvl 100 and efficient farming, you are getting 1-4 legends per hour, do you seriously think there is no economic impact (ie: the value of your legendaries) if you double that once again to 2-8 legends? or some higher rate?

also, no matter what the drop rate is, the market will instantly reflect it and a new equilibrium will be reached.

--
right now, the problem with the game is itemisation and not drop rates.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/1/2013 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Bashiok once said that Blizzard had to factor in the AH when considering loot drop percentages. People with very little reasoning power took this to mean that the AH controls the drop rate in the game.

This DOESN'T mean the AH messes with loot %'s on the fly like the tinfoil hatters seem to think.

No Bashiok didnt say that. Nobody half way offical did say that. There was a post due to the AH, that Blizz didnt test it before release. How could they simulate 10 million !@#$ing players?

Some nutjob with a tinfoil hat misinterpreted this post and kept spamming the Forums.

This was 6 MONTH AGO and people still refer to this
Reply Quote
Meatgrinder. Go read the Bashiok quote in post 10 of this thread. Then feel free to edit your post. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]