Diablo® III

Does auction house affect item drops

Btw, here is the thread where Bashiok posted the above quote...http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49

While the AH doesnt necessarily affect the overall drop rate for the item, it certainly plays a factor in the RNG rolls of item affixes and stats.
Reply Quote
"Any game system that can be itemised with random properties has been"

Yet POE despises the auction house. So there goes your little theory about RNG as a direct result of the auction house. RNG has always been a staple of Diablo type games, and has nothing to do with the auction house.

You do realize that they have to code parameters for the RNG right? Jay Wilson and Bashiok state that since players are able to source equipment from multiple places (drops and AH) that it gave them the ability to open the set RNG parameters per drop...hence, you get low dps lvl 63 rares, class specific items without primary stats, and items that are basically useless.

Using the D3 "endgame" item drops is basically admitting that the game really only starts after lvl 60 (which is true, sadly). I never understand why people continually base arguments on endgame content, when the real issue in this game has to do with the character's journey from lvl 1-60....specifically, there is not real depth to the game play at these levels, it is just busy work to get to lvl 60 and the upper paragon lvls. If the regular game play was more rewarding, you would not have so many people complaining on this forum (i.e. Bored with loot and playing Inferno? Easy answer. Create an alt and lvl them up).

It's mindnumbing that you miss the point that the genus to the problems in this game isn't the AH, its the fact that the design choices were made with the AH in mind. Although, perhaps you aren't completely dense, because you do recognize that the itemization is severely lacking.

Edit: How can you even use PoE as an example? The randomized item stats in that game are nowhere near the extreme level of the RNG in D3, largely due to the fact that the itemization and customization possibilities in that game are so extensive. Also of note is the fact that every item has added value since the economic model of the game is not based on gold or ingame currency. You barter with the vender for other items that can act as currency AND are useful for other purposes (rerolling orbs and such).
Edited by Mendacium#1504 on 2/1/2013 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:06 PMPosted by JJLXL
Meatgrinder. Go read the Bashiok quote in post 10 of this thread. Then feel free to edit your post. :)

Yes this quote i was locking for...thanks^^

He told us, the community, that drops percentages are bound to the ah. Its resonable that the percentages have to be kept lower if u are able to switch gear between all 5 char classes.

He didnt tell us that the drop percentages of some special Items is bound to the ah. Like a Andarials drops more often then a mempho.

D3 was never considerd to be Selffound!

U guys who try playing it this way are just sabotaging it for everyone else.

They doubeld the leg chance in 1.05. Economy crashed afterwards. Now BOA Items are introduced,,,,

Additional: Iam not from the US so english isnt my first language. If u find mistakes keep them
Reply Quote

They doubeld the leg chance in 1.05. Economy crashed afterwards. Now BOA Items are introduced,,,,

Nice to meet you, Mr. player who understands what Diablo is really about.

At least he admits that the game is designed this way, haha. Many on this forum will not, for some reason...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

The drops were obviously tuned with the auction house in mind, but the house does not directly affect the chance for anything to drop on the fly.

That statement makes no sense.

Saw this on the first page, gave me a good laugh. It makes perfect sense. The guy is obviously an idiot.
Reply Quote
My thoughts on the matter.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7811341301?page=2#31
Reply Quote
haha some of you are flat out crazy with this talk.

AH has to have some sort of control in drops... you can't have the market flooded with manticores/EFs/Skorns

There is a reason why you see more gladiator gaunts,ivory towers, wiz hats, spirit stones, hell racks, andys, strongarm bracers etc... than your goodies like witching hours, mempos, EFs, lacunis etc..

It has to be managed. Id love to see more good quality beams of light, but alas, AH is the sole reason there are more low quality automatic brimstone legendaries...

if drop rates were truly RNG than someone please explain why everyone in this community gets more brimstone quality beams of light than good, decent value (something over 100k even lol)
Reply Quote
AH has to have some sort of control in drops... you can't have the market flooded with manticores/EFs/Skorns

The market is already flooded with those items.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Saigyouji

The market is already flooded with those items.

exactly...theres tons of them in the AH right now... thats why you don't see as many drop. AH is already at a very high peak of those items..

But how many people actually enlist frostburns or dark mages shades and other junk in the AH?
Reply Quote
exactly...theres tons of them in the AH right now... thats why you don't see as many drop. AH is already at a very high peak of those items..

The drop rates of those items are the same in hardcore, where the AH has far, far fewer of those items.

But how many people actually enlist frostburns or dark mages shades and other junk in the AH?

... loads? Have you checked the AH recently?
Reply Quote
AH has no effect on drops. How much clearer can this be:

Wyatt Cheng: The auction house has absolutely no effect on drop rates. There are conspiracy theories and misunderstandings, but I do want to re-iterate: there is NO interaction whatsoever. Bashiok mentioned earlier that we took the AH into account, so let me expand a little bit on that.

Wyatt Cheng: Alright so I'm going to take a stab at this question. As mentioned in a different thread, the drop rates were carefully tuned for a single player playing through from 1 to 60 without ever using the AH.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6317360#dropratesah
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Saigyouji

The drop rates of those items are the same in hardcore, where the AH has far, far fewer of those items.

... loads? Have you checked the AH recently?

thats because there are far far far fewer HC players that can actually farm consistently and quickly..

how many HC players do you see out there with more than 20k elite kills?

Cant say I have actually haha, i never search for frostburns or ish like that
Edited by SkiTz#1750 on 2/1/2013 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

That statement makes no sense.

Saw this on the first page, gave me a good laugh. It makes perfect sense. The guy is obviously an idiot.

Excellent reading comprehension the two of you have. What I said makes perfect sense, and the Bashiok quote says exactly that as well. I am not the "idiot" here.

02/01/2013 03:04 PMPosted by TastyGarden
I think he means that the drops were calculated with respect to the auction house overall, as in they're lower than they would be if the auction house did not exist, but the drops are not constantly changed minute by minute in relation to current auction house inventory.

This is precisely what I said and it can't be made any clearer.
Reply Quote
I just don't believe for a split second that droprates are pure RNG and nothing else at all...

If it is, than this RNG system is waaaay too effed up
There is currently 254 brimstones I have collected from junk legendaries since 1.05 hit

I've logged each legendary ive found. Total is 291 so far since 1.05. Thats 37 sellable legendaries (atleast 100k+)

if RNG gives me a 87% chance of utter crap, than it's completely screwed up. Thats not RNG at all. there are multiple types of drops I have yet to see but in my log, i have over double digit amounts of ivory tower, frostburns, mageshades, spirit stones, etc drops.

You seriously telling me that this is purely RNG and nothing else?
Reply Quote

Nice to meet you, Mr. player who understands what Diablo is really about.

evry time someone aks me what (insert word) really is about, iam talking to a nutjob...

Do u know that for ur Latte childeren are suffering. Thats what the big Companies really are about
Do u know that u are destroying our climate with driving a car. This really is about...

I cant prove these people wrong, but i can prove u wrong.

Diablo3 was announced with an gh/rmah auction house. Half a year before release this is a fact.
You and only YOU have bought this game.
Nobody forced u to do this.
Nobody told u it was a d2 revival.
Nobody told u this game is selffound.

U Imagined all those things and now u are pissed because it didnt happen
Reply Quote
YES.

This has been confirmed by a blue about 3-4 months ago.
Reply Quote
I just don't believe for a split second that droprates are pure RNG and nothing else at all...

If it is, than this RNG system is waaaay too effed up
There is currently 254 brimstones I have collected from junk legendaries since 1.05 hit

I've logged each legendary ive found. Total is 291 so far since 1.05. Thats 37 sellable legendaries (atleast 100k+)

if RNG gives me a 87% chance of utter crap, than it's completely screwed up. Thats not RNG at all. there are multiple types of drops I have yet to see but in my log, i have over double digit amounts of ivory tower, frostburns, mageshades, spirit stones, etc drops.

You seriously telling me that this is purely RNG and nothing else?

There are two things going on here.

First, some legendaries are rarer than others. That's no different from D2.

Second of all, your definition of 'utter crap' is based on what sells on the AH. I'm not sure why you think that's going to be a reasonable metric of whether or not RNG is working properly. If 87% of legendaries were utter crap by a more objective standard, like whether or not they were sufficient for beating inferno, then you might have a point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]