Diablo® III

DC death - I'm actually against fixing it

I may not have any high paragon level character who died, but I'm actually happy with HC as it is.

To me, the most important thing that makes hardcore fun is the fact that the drops i find are REWARDING. Unlike softcore, where I will be hard pressed to find anything that can sell with it's totally messed up economy.

I believe DC is a major contributor to death in HC. In another words, it's a significant item/gold sink that keeps the economy healthy. Now imagine a theoretical situation where blizzard adds a DC timer and HC deaths falls below 30% of current level. What would happen to its economy? If nobody dies (especially more experienced HC players), hardcore will just become a glorified version of softcore to me.

And sure it hurts to lose a character after all the effort and affection you've devoted into them, especially to a DC. But it is exactly because of this loss that we can enjoy playing HC in my opinion. I mean if we want a healthy economy, SOMEONE has to die... Hoping that 'someone' (or rather 'sacrifice') will be everyone but yourself is just being selfish. By dying, we contribute to HC economy as a whole.

So I'm against fixing DC issues - at least until blizzard finds a way to restore the item/gold sink lost by fixing it. What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
I like the rewarding part and the item sink part, but that's a little too extreme. People shouldn't die to DC and they really should implement something to curb it.

I'd rather they make the game harder in order to occasionally kill off people through Challenges that Could be overcome.
Reply Quote
Go do your part OP, go delete your character and save the economy!

Don't be selfish!
Reply Quote
Yeah.... OP's only HC character is lvl 27.

Once you actually get high lvl with decent items let's see if you want to randomly lose all of that work due to no fault of your own.
Reply Quote

Once you actually get high lvl with decent items let's see if you want to randomly lose all of that work due to no fault of your own.

I lost 5 lvl 60 characters that doesn't show on my profile. You can check them in my archives in game though. My last 2 loss was a DH and barb with quite decent gear - i daresay better than your wd.

Edit: Actually they do show up in the profile... Under "Fallen Heroes". Please learn to read before jumping at the first chance to make others look bad.
Edited by mintCookie#6238 on 2/4/2013 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

I lost 5 lvl 60 characters that doesn't show on my profile. You can check them in my archives in game though. My last 2 loss was a DH and barb with quite decent gear - i daresay better than your wd.

Were those DC?
Edited by KingGloborx#1386 on 2/4/2013 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Were those DC?

The last 2 were. I spent about 150 mill on DH, and probably more on barb. Sad thing but I got over it.
Reply Quote

Were those DC?

The last 2 were. I spent about 150 mill on DH, and probably more on barb. Sad thing but I got over it.

Yeah great job on going over it, I mean, when you manage to get over 300 M worth of gold (on 2 char only ) with a total of about 12 000 Elite kill I'm sure you can get over it pretty easily.

Transfering gold from Softcore to Hardcore pal?

Don't you consider that bad for the economy?
Edited by KingGloborx#1386 on 2/4/2013 6:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Yeah great job on going over it, I mean, when you manage to get over 300 M worth of gold (on 2 char only ) with a total of about 12 000 Elite kill I'm sure you can get over it pretty easily.

Transfering gold from Softcore to Hardcore pal?

THAT is bad for the economy.

Whoever said I transferred SC gold to HC? I started HC from scratch 100%. Sold a 225 intel mempo with vit for 100 million, and 276 intel vile ward with vit for 125 million. My top 2 finds in HC.
Reply Quote
Why are there so many people even in HC forum trying to nitpick and make others look bad... I mean don't you feel bad accusing others for your own groundless assumptions?
Reply Quote
I like the rewarding part and the item sink part, but that's a little too extreme. People shouldn't die to DC and they really should implement something to curb it.

I'd rather they make the game harder in order to occasionally kill off people through Challenges that Could be overcome.

I like your idea.
Reply Quote
@OP- I agree with you 100%.

And it doesn't matter one iota to me what your character levels are or where you got your gold.

D/C's are lame, yes, but you sign the waiver when you make the character that you accept permanent death no matter the cause.

I don't believe there is a section of the waiver that says death by D/C's don't count.

It's another way to die. I do think they need to address this. . .but until they do we deal with it.

There is no crying in HC.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 2/4/2013 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think it's a big myth that we need DCs or otherwise nobody would die. I know a few really well-geared players on these forums like to make that claim but you have to realize they don't speak for the majority of players and it's really just not-so-subtle bragging. People still die all the time to things like encountering double/triple packs, getting permawalled on staircases, attempting higher MP levels or just generally messing up (I've died to all of these things). The whole point of playing hardcore is to be rewarded for playing carefully and attentively. Dying to`DCs is no fun at all and is not the spirit of the game for most reasonable people- might as well go play Russian roulette if you think completely random death is fun.

DCs also drive a lot of people away from playing HC which means a shrinking player base and a worse economy.
Reply Quote
I hope they fix the DC problem.
Reply Quote
DC is an item sink, but not so much of a gold sink, it's just not significant enough. You spent hundreds of millions of gold on your gear, but those gold went to someone else who is still holding on to them. At the end of the day, those gold would be flowing in the system between players. So there will still be inflation over time. I remember when I was first looking for IK chest, I could find many of them in 20mil - 30mil range (not that I could afford them). Nowadays, everything is 100mil -500mil range. That tells you gold has been accumulating in the system.

On to the DC topic, I don't know how other people dying makes your game more fun. You can still farm for gg gears and they would still be great as long as demand (player base) is greater than supply.
Reply Quote
I would prefer an alternative gold/item sink than using DC death as a sink
Like...make the game harder.....
Right now all you need to do is spend several million in AH and you will get yourself a pretty geared char than can farm 0mp a3 no problem...
I miss the pre 1.03 days..that was when HC was fun. People play as a team and trying their best to survive inferno..
Now? just mouse click and you will smash everything...

And yes I know you can change monster power to challenge yourself blah blah blah but why bother when even 0mp can drop the best gear in game (faster run and less risk too).
Reply Quote
Why not push this idea forward and ask blizz to randomly delete HC chars.

I would say like 20 a week. If you are unlucky well too bad for you but you can still keep a smile ; you helped the economy.
Reply Quote
I may not have any high paragon level character who died, but I'm actually happy with HC as it is.

I stopped caring here - but I read all of your post
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Speranza
I stopped caring here - but I read all of your post

Why? I'm curious. I heard similar comments when I first started playing.
People would say things like. . ."You don't have any HC characters." So I made some.
"You don't have any Lv 60's" So I made some.
"You don't have any Lv60 DH's" So I made one.
"You can't use Chain Lightning in Inferno" So I did.

Every single time I was told I didn't have an opinion (or the right to express it) because of some lack of achievement (or perception of it) I went and did it. And do you know what's changed about my game? Nothing. Not one damn thing has changed about the way I play. I've changed how I select armor, and what pieces I equip- but my game hasn't changed a lick. So when someone has an opinion, the wise man listens and thinks. And the General Discussion goobers post attack posts about how people don't have the right to speak unless they are P50's.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 2/4/2013 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 05:27 AMPosted by mintCookie
I believe DC is a major contributor to death in HC. In another words, it's a significant item/gold sink that keeps the economy healthy. Now imagine a theoretical situation where blizzard adds a DC timer and HC deaths falls below 30% of current level. What would happen to its economy? If nobody dies (especially more experienced HC players), hardcore will just become a glorified version of softcore to me.

OP, let's say it's 1983, and you're one of the lead developers of Super Mario Brothers.

The game is complete and now in its "beta phase", ready to be played by testers. The testers come back and say "hey man, I beat this game in 15 minutes. I probably died twice or so, but besides that, it's really easy to get through. There are no difficult jumps to make, no enemies that are hard to avoid, etc. I barely had to develop any skill to beat the game. Kids will finish this in 15 minutes and get bored."

What the lead developer actually would have said was, "okay, let's make more difficult jumps. Let's make enemies, such as hammer throwers, that are hard to avoid and need jump timing and tactics. Let's force players to learn how to do running jumps in certain situations, so that later on, there are places where they need to do it to survive. Let's make enemies kill you if you touch them, so you have to find clever ways around them. Etc."

What you would have said was, "okay, let's implement this mechanic where the game randomly shuts off, and you have to start over. I mean, if anyone can just beat this game easily, we need a way for them to have to start over before they finish it, so that nobody just does away with it quickly. Y'know? We need to make sure players die, even if they're good. So we'll do that."

If we have a problem where nobody can die, and the HC market gets saturated, then that's a problem that needs to be fixed by game mechanics and nothing else. With all due respect, mintCookie, your argument is bad.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 2/4/2013 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]