Diablo® III

D3 vs. PoE

+1, I will admit to not giving a very fair trial of PoE, but the lack of inventory space was horrendous. If you clear an area, you have to go back to town 3-4 times in order to "pick" up all of the drops. This to me was a deal breaker.

just curious do you pick up everything in d3.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:25 AMPosted by Antiskum
since playing POE i have zero desire to go back to d3

Last updated on Feb 3, 2013 6:55 AM PST

If you had no desire to come back to D3, why did you play yesterday?
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:37 AMPosted by KradisZ

Depends where I am in the game, low levels, I'll pick up every item I can get my hands on. Between levels 10-60, I'll pick up all blue/yellow/leg/set items. And finally, when grinding paragons, I'll pick up blue ammys/rings and all yellows/leg/set.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Disturbed
since playing POE i have zero desire to go back to d3

Last updated on Feb 3, 2013 6:55 AM PST

If you had no desire to come back to D3, why did you play yesterday?

hahahaha owned
Reply Quote
Edit: I am slippy
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
PoE has some very good points about it,I played it up to level 40 on my maruader,then it felt like hitting a stone wall.i just cant drag my self through another level of difficulty in that game.iam just going to stick with D3 it has way more potential then poe,plays way better, and looks 4x as good.
1 other thing, cant stand the barter system in games,its just plain old out dated.
Reply Quote
It definitely is a cool game. In PoE you start out slow and weak without skills. The combat gets better as you start unlocking your passives for attack/cast speed and level up your skills. D3 just doesn't have depth to it. It'd be nice if you were looking for more than legendaries and a few select rares.

I like PoE more but I still log into D3 a few times a week to pull the slot machine lever to see if it's my day to win the legendary lottery.
Edited by gudmugly#1581 on 2/4/2013 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Combat in PEO is really bad.
But the rest of game is neat.
Reply Quote
I do like the skill progression and itemization in PoE.I was once slow but I now have 150% Increased attack speed with the right skills/passives at level 40. Cant wait to see how I cant tear through monsters at 60.

The itemization is very similar to D2, You can find boots with 20% frw at level 20 and gloves with 10% IAS at level 5
Reply Quote
Combat in PEO is really bad.
But the rest of game is neat.

The combat isn't as good as D3, but it does get better when you invest some time. At the start it is very slow, but later levels with good skills/passives you can tear through mobs
Reply Quote
I've been playing PoE lately, and it is pretty much the D2 expansion I've been waiting for, not to mention its completely free to play.

That being said, D3 is not a bad game. It is a very fast paced, kill-frenzy game with beautiful fight mechanics. It just depends on the person. It's kinda like Call of Duty vs Battlefield. Call of Duty is a faster pace shoot em up, while battlefield requires more thought and decision making.

If you are looking for an excellent ARPG reminiscent of D2, go with PoE.
If you are looking for a fast-pace grind game, go with D3

poe is a joke , thxs for the laugh
Reply Quote
poe is a joke , thxs for the laugh

Thanks for your opinion :]
Reply Quote
PoE
I've played both extensively, PoE is better, world pvp w/ friends is awesome.
If I want a solo brawler I will comeback to D3 & grind out 10 more drops to put on auction.
#your freinds list does'nt lie

+1 Agreed
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:40 AMPosted by JoeLimon

Depends where I am in the game, low levels, I'll pick up every item I can get my hands on. Between levels 10-60, I'll pick up all blue/yellow/leg/set items. And finally, when grinding paragons, I'll pick up blue ammys/rings and all yellows/leg/set.

*facepalm* i don't see why or how this applies to PoE as any kind of dealbreaker if you pick everything, it's not like you're grinding for gold or.... maybe you are?... o_O
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:37 AMPosted by KradisZ
+1, I will admit to not giving a very fair trial of PoE, but the lack of inventory space was horrendous. If you clear an area, you have to go back to town 3-4 times in order to "pick" up all of the drops. This to me was a deal breaker.

I don't, but most items in D3 are trash because there are no viable item sinks. There are 2 whole classes of items that are completely useless after your first 3 hours in the game (grey and white)! I've only played PoE 4 or 5 hours, but items are currency, items are upgradeable, tradeable...the whole damn game is an item sink! I really like that aspect!
Reply Quote
Both games have very interesting features:
D3
- Incredibly polished combat system. Control responsiveness is really great and it shows it was one of the most prevalent interests in the development process.
- Healthglobes are a really great evolution over mindless pot spamming in D2, specially considering their potential value in conjunction with certain passives.
- Great resource systems. The way they balance resource spenders and consumers is just great. You have to screw up really bad to feel resource-starved, which adds a lot to the game's overall fast pace.
- Extremely flexible skill system, allowing you to literally change the whole playstyle of your character with a few changes. This truly encourages experimentation. It would be great if they expanded on the customization options of this feature.
- Individualized loot, simply because it allows you to focus more on the action than on getting ninja'd by someone else. I really hated that in D2, specially in Baalruns, and i'm glad they changed it for D3.

PoE
- Incredible item customization and depth. Being able to work on polishing items is really cool, specially considering you can turn a turd into a diamond if you put enough work on it, without sacrificing the inherently addictive nature of RNG (gambling), but working with it. The fact currency itself is tallied in the amount of attempts you have at modifying your items in different ways is just phenomenal. Certainly more exciting than grinding for gold, or farming 920387509823725 terrible items before finding a single one worth keeping.
- Grim environment, really good music as well. Art direction with certain monster designs could be more polished, though. Some monsters just look stupid (those mermaid tentacled things, for instance). I love the fact they add grit through normal maps on their textures, I don't understand why Blizzard never uses them. They could be more polished, but they really nailed the environment of an unforgiving and cruel world.
- Cutthroat league, just because open world pvp has always been fun.
- The passive skill tree, because it doesn't force you to pick useless talents just to acquire a specific big talent, like it was in D2. Every talent remains relevant for the rest of your character's life. Merging both stats and talents in a single tree is a cool solution, although i wish it was a bit less unforgiving with respecs, specially for newbies, but once you get the large picture and the hang of the skills and character specialization, it's really fun.
- The world feels alive, specially when you see other players running around in town areas. Even if you don't interact with them, it's a great feeling

What i don't like:
D3:
- Itemization is just horrible as a product of the loot being tailored to sustain an economy and not to provide an enjoyable ingame experience. Sacrificing that "ohhhhh shiny" feel D2 had for raw profit is simply unforgivable. Loot is awfully bland and uninspiring, and overall loot quality is simply appalling. They really have to step up their work in this particualr aspect for the expansion.
- Lack of content. For a 2012 game, the game is absurdly short. The game should have lasted like 20 hours on it's first playthrough, but it barely lasts 6, if you're reaaaaaaaaly slow.
- Lack of pvp, one of the biggest drawbacks this game has. I still don't understand how could have they released it without at least basic dueling, which we're still waiting for. Even if i'm not a hardcore pvp player, i really loved those duels for the lolz back in D2, regardless of how simple the setup was.
- Ingame currency being sold for real money. This is just a straightforward detriment to any ingame efforts to progress in a legit way. If someone doesn't have the time/will to grind in a grinding game, it shouldn't be an option to sell that potential by real money. Selling items isn't great, but isn't as bad, considering good ones can be extremely rare, but gold drops everywhere. This is one of the biggest mistakes they've made with this game.

PoE:
- Combat feels extremely sloppy. Sometimes your character would just slash the air for no reason, consuming your mana, which can be quite frustrating when you begin and can't afford to just spam your favorite skill. Targeting sometimes is quite frustrating as well.
- Sound effects, specially for certain mobs. Kinda odd considering how immersing the music is, so i really wish they would make them better.
- Zoomed in camera. It just feels like you're way too close sometimes, which can be annoying.
- Monster design. There are some that are really awesome, but in contrast, some are really lame and unimaginative. Some of the models seem awfully unpolished as well. Those little crabs and the siren octopus things come to mind.
- Character models. They just feel like some random model taken out of a generic humanoid library, including npcs.. Animations are also quite bad sometimes.
- Ingame rooms, through the notice boards. Great feature to link single player with multiplayer.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 10:36 AMPosted by KradisZ
*facepalm* i don't see why or how this applies to PoE as any kind of dealbreaker if you pick everything, it's not like you're grinding for gold or.... maybe you are?... o_O

I'm grinding for upgrades? Have you played the game? or perhaps you've just read descriptions of how awesome it apparently is?

And if you don't get frustrated by the inventory system... kudo's to you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]