Diablo® III

constant update of Launcher

Have you found a fix for this? I am stuck at 75% of the launcher and it won't update.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
It isn't just D3's launcher. WoW's launcher is also updating every time I launch it. Even after getting an updated SetupOSX.mpq file from the Patchup.info site, I can't get it to stop its constant updating. Both Diablo 3 and WoW share the same current Agent version, and it's royally fubar right now.

At least if the games each used their own Battle.net folder structures this wouldn't happen, at least not for all games using the affected versions of the file(s). That's what I'm trying to get at.

The thing is, if I launch Agent manually, then run either the launcher or the game app directly, no update takes place. This puts it squarely on the launcher and current Agent combo. Maybe it is a bootstrapper problem, but either way, nothing I can do on my end is fixing it.

I rarely get this bent out of shape over anything these days, since I've learned to keep my cool, but this is beyond frustrating. I've actually gotten to the point where I don't want to even log into Diablo 3 at all since this just keeps happening over and over again with no fix available on my end. At least with the WoW app, I can make use of my free seven days without much of an issue since I can launch that app's 64-bit client directly and bypass the launcher and Agent completely. I can't do that with Diablo 3 even using the --args -launch command parameters, since Diablo 3 forces Agent to launch and...well, update city.

My only workaround is to relearn what exactly I did to make my applescript applet (the "D3 Bypass" applet I mentioned previously) and add in a line that launches the current Agent just after the Purge command exits and just before Diablo 3's app launches. Yay for not saving my applescript prior to creating the applet (and foolishly making it run-only, which corrupts the original script so it can't be opened again).

What gets me is how long this has been left to trouble the players. This should very easily have been spotted and fixed by now, but it hasn't and we've not gotten any word for a long while now. I think it only fair to ask why that is.

On a related note, why is it that when the base Tools get an update, that the SetupOSX.mpq file is not also updated? I still had the original SetupOSX.mpq from May 12th, 2012.

Blizzard way, way overcomplicated how their games patch and update themselves. Tech support on both platforms had some issues even before Agent came along, but not like we've been seeing on a consistent basis for the last year. It's time to rethink the strategy on this system, since obviously it's so intertwined between games that one bad entry apple spoils the entire barrel of games. At the very least separate Battle.net folders specific to each game would solve half of their problems.

03/29/2013 05:12 AMPosted by lostnomad1
Have you found a fix for this? I am stuck at 75% of the launcher and it won't update.

Quit the launcher when it gets stuck, and wait for Agent to close itself (it helps to have Activity Monitor open to see when Agen finally dies). Then re-run the launcher and it should go through. For that attempt anyway.

Note: If you have OS X's firewall turned on, you cannot get the launcher to update. You must first disable the firewall, found in System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall, and then run the launcher. This is true even if you have the "Allow signed software to automatically accept incoming connections" ticked off in the preferences.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 3/29/2013 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Aside from having to forcibly block agent from seeding by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections on bittorrent ports (even when p2p is off) with little snitch, i haven't had these problems. been lucky i guess. (agent still opens connects on bittorrent ports and communicates with seed servers even if p2p is off, why? so it can waste cpu and resources telling other users they can't download from you but that your'e still seeding anyways).

I run launcher for wow every day and it's not giving me update loops. so again, i think the problem only happens after you've played diablo 3, something i haven't done MANY weeks. still relevant for isolating problem i think. once bad information is fed into launcher, it's behavior is very unpredictable when it's been given a bad set of instructions to carry out.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Well here's the thing - the launcher's instructions for Agent are supposed to be in the Agent.db file inside the /users/shared/battle.net/Agent/ folder, yes? When wiping that folder out as part of troubleshooting, all insructions should be made anew from the archive containing the Tools, correct? If so, then why if I nuke the Battle.net folder and then first run the World of Warcraft launcher by itself without even touching Diablo 3, does it go into its update mode every single time after Agent closes itself and you re-run the launcher?

Having each game use its own folder would isolate the problem to just that one launcher/agent combination, effectively insulating the other games from the issue.

Funny thing is, I have not ever downloaded even the SC2 trial, so I don't have any SC2 material on my drive. None. Yet it looks like it wants to download tools patches for it. By mixing the games' update mechanism into a single unified folder, you dramatically increase the number of support incidents you have when one game's update screws another game up. This could be avoided very easily.

This one's not rocket surgery here. Separate the games' Battle.net folders and then only have to deal with one game having problems instead of all three.

One thing I've noticed, and I'm not trying to slight S4d1k or Machkhan in any way, but in all of Blizzard's games, the Mac support seems to be virtually nonexistent in the last few months. Diablo 3 can go upward of several weeks without regular visits from a Blizzard representative, leaving much of the work to be done by the community of Mac players such as the two of us.

I get the feeling we're on a sinking ship, and maybe that's due to the way Apple treats every other company that has to support its operating systems (the yearly update and culling of its OS support, which is already causing major problems for Blizzard, Valve, and other game companies). S4d1k and Machkhan seem to be the only Mac people around outside of SC2 which if I'm not mistaken still has Lucytr (or whatever name she goes by now) as well.

You can only do so much. I can only do so much. You at least stand out when you're helping. I don't have that, but I also refuse to let that stop me from trying to help. But times like this I feel that even my efforts are being lost in the nether. When a longtime helper in the MTS area can't find a solution and sees there's nobody around to even check up on it, it's depressing, you know? :(

I wish a fix for this could be done by me, but alas, it can't, but nobody's around to hear me fall in this neck of the woods.

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Out of curiosity, can you tell me what version of agent is your latest?

Agent.1675?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Yes, 1675 is the latest. When I nuke the Battle.net folder, and run either launcher afterwards, 1675 becomes the latest. 1544 didn't have this issue, but the moment 1675 came along, BAM, constant update syndrome.

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
It doesn't seem to be affecting many, just you 2? I've run all 3 games today and none of them told me to update launcher. i haven't downloaded a launcher/agent update since they actually released 1675. You may have to wait until sunday for Mack to return.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
MysticalOS, can you put up your Agent.db file in a zip for me to snag so I can compare it with mine? I'd like to do a side by side and see just where mine is different (other than the usual game client specific variables that is). Might give me a clue as to what the real cause is.

One thing I did learn throughout this entire endeavor - do not delete the hidden .agent.db file in any of the game directories - launcher can't even run without it. Thankfully I keep backups.

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
http://mysticalos.com/Agent_files.zip
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Thanks MysticalOS. I'll see if this leads anywhere. It might not and the problem may likely be on Blizzard's end, but meh, despite the fact that I said "I give up", the reality is that I don't like leaving things unfinished and I haven't given up. Going on 30 hours of trying to figure this blasted thing out.

But at least the others with this problem can know that I won't give up on them. :)

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Interesting...your Agent.db is 82k (78,876 bytes) and mine is a mere 20k (18,438 bytes), despite having a WoW PTR, WoW client, Diablo 3 PTR, Diablo 3 client, and running the SC2 installer (to see if having SC2's setup would fix the Launcher - sadly it didn't).

I'm going to see if modifying your Agent.db will work for me. The only modifications made will be to the installation location lines, since yours are installed in different locations than mine (mine are on a separate Vertex 4 256 GB SSD).

Like I said, I ain't giving up! :)

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Welp, that didn't work, but I do appreciate the assistance MysicalOS. Not even downloading and installing the SC2 client and running it and letting it do its own update helped. All three clients are forcing updates if they're launched when Agent is not already running.

The only way I've been able to bypass the constant update cycle is to first launch the Agent in the 1675 folder and then immediately run any of the launchers or game clients directly. So since the launchers and game clients themselves seem unable to properly launch Agent, it looks like it's boiling down to either a bootstrapper issue or something set up incorrectly on the server/tracker end.

On the occasions that I forget to run Agent manually first, when the Launcher (any game client) gets stuck at 75%, Agent is somehow not hooking into the launcher at all. It's sitting there until it times out and quits, and then the launcher launches another Agent process and it just repeats over and over and over again.

I'm still trying to figure out why we need a bootstrapper to help an Agent to help a Launcher to launch a game. It seems like a completely ridiculous arrangement, even for patching. There's just way too much compexity here for what should be a fairly simple task.

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
From what I can see in Activity Monitor's Network pane, the launcher isn't downloading any updates when it's attempting to "update". It is reading, presumably, from the SetupOSX.mpq files, which contain the necessary files. Agent does have one of the CDN servers open, but I can't access that directly to find out what file it's looking at/reading.

I know I can get a new SetupOSX.MPQ from pachup.info, but I'd actuall like to know the edgesuite link for the latest tools patch. I have the one for the game MPQ, but not the tools MPQ.

Edit: In fact the Diablo III Launcher itself has no open files or ports at all in Activity Monitor. It's a zombie process as far as things are concerned it seems. This is really unusual since it remains open until the 30 second mark where the Blizzard Launcher ultimately takes over.

The interaction between any of the three games' Launcher apps, Agent, and the Blizzard Launcher appears to be broken, especially with regard to bootstrapping Agent properly.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 3/31/2013 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
For anybody that needs a temporary workaround, you can do the following:

1) Navigate to /users/shared/Battle.net/Agent.1675/

2) Drag the Agent app found in that folder to your dock.

3) If you have not already done so drag your Diablo III Launcher to the dock and place the icon directly adjacent to the Agent icon that you created in step #2.

Once this is done, if you wish to bypass the constant update cycle, first click the Agent icon in the dock, and then immediately click the Diablo III Launcher icon right next to it. Agent will appear not to launch, but you can ignore it as it has indeed launched.

Performing these steps bypasses the normal "switcher" routine used by the bootstrapper, and will allow you to get to the Launcher without it trying to update. This can be done with the direct World of Warcraft clients, both 32-bit and 64-bit also, as with that game you can ignore the launcher completely.

Until this gets fixed by the client dev team, this is the only known workaround.

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
There's a new Agent push, which brings us to v. 1737. Unfortunately, for those affected by the issue in this thread, this new Agent does not solve the problem and still hangs for 30 seconds before doing a phantom update every time you launch unless you use the workaround in the post directly before this one.

The Blizzard Launcher is still at v. 1949.

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
humor me for a minute, and set up little snitch and these rules with agent.
i wonder if i avoid a lot of the issues because i straight out block all the p2p that agent tries to do despite p2p being turned off
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I take it I would need to disable the ports bolded below?

Blizzard Downloader (TCP) 1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6881-6999 (UDP) 1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, and 6881-6999

Edit: OK, even with ports 6881-6999 blocked on the Diablo 3 Launcher, Diablo 3 Setup, Blizzard Launcher, and Agent I still get the "checking for updates" dialogue window, only now the bar never even starts. It just hangs there forever.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 4/5/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
oh sorry i forgot to post the image

http://mysticalos.com/images/how_to_tame_agent.jpg

allow only ports 80, 3724, 1119, and 6771 for outgoing for user and system (root)

block ALL incoming period for both user and system

block all OTHER outgoing user and system for all ports not the above. little snitch prioritizes allow rules over declines so ALL won't exclude the 4 allows.

FYI, it uses far more than those ports. i've had agent request access to ports in the 5 digit range, it's p2p code is just obscene and makes me sick.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 4/5/2013 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
The five digit port number isn't too far fetched - I've seen other BT clients use large port ranges as well, though throughout the last ten years the only real use I saw for that high a port number was the Quake and Quake Arena server ports (Quake server defaulted to the high 32,000's if I remember correctly).

I'll give your setup a go. But given what I saw when I blocked the ports before as noted in my previous post, it's the Diablo III Setup app that's being the problem, but we'll see. If it really is the P2P thing, that doesn't bode well for players on college networks who get disconnected when that happens, since disabling P2P in the preferences obviously doesn't work.

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Blocking the ports for Agent (either one, or both Agents in fact, as there are two - a Switcher and the numerically anotated Agent (found in Agent.xxxx folders) results in the same 30 second hangup, only this time the "checking updates" bar stays blank and the window disappears without any fanfare after that 30 second span and the Blizzard Launcher screen takes over like normal.

So basically blocking P2P isn't working. I've even set up Diablo III Setup, Diablo III Launcher, Blizzard Launcher (again both the primary app and the numerically anotated app inside the latest update's folder) the same way and it still hangs for 30 seconds.

I suspect the bootstrapper is completely broken right now. Since we're blocking all P2P connections, it's either that or there is a configuration error on Blizzard's end for any one of the connection attempt's instruction set (preferences) grab.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]