Diablo® III

Well of Souls might be the go-to spell now

If each branching spirit can attack a single target, it will do absurd amounts of damage. This also doesn't remove its AoE utility, just improves its single-target usefulness. This is an awesome change.
Reply Quote
WoS was always the go-to spell. Skill always did what the new patch says it does, they've just switched on noob-mode for us.
Reply Quote
I will say one thing about the noob version, it will make gobbies that much easier.
Reply Quote
I do like WoS but for damage output there still isn't anything that can compete with bears. t's AOE is far better, even it's single target DPS is almost as good as WoS. There's just no denying the fact that bears is a WD's superior damage output "go to" ability.

PvP? Yes, WoS over bears, but for anything else, bears over WoS.
Reply Quote
I will use WoS + Spider / Rain of Toads for range and bears for big damage. MP9/10 I play more distance though. Wos / Frog (proc fear a lot more with fury) and AC.

PvP I was using Haunt or WoS. Haunt was better for hit and runs I found.
Reply Quote
I do like WoS but for damage output there still isn't anything that can compete with bears. t's AOE is far better, even it's single target DPS is almost as good as WoS. There's just no denying the fact that bears is a WD's superior damage output "go to" ability.

I like WoS as my main attack in ubers due to the ability to spam it with out ever stopping, and you can bust off a couple bear waves on adds when they get summoned, and then continuing the soul attacks.

For that reason, for me, WoS > Bears for things like ubers.
Reply Quote
Are we really calling the improved AI that WoS should've had from the beginning "noob-mode"? Lol. What exciting WD patch notes - Hey, we fixed that one spell for you guys so you don't have to hold your WoS hotkey over random places near the enemy.

In my opinion, WoS is...

- Amazing for ubers
- Amazing for longer fights at high mp levels
- OP for PvP and will probably be nerfed
- Pretty useless at low mp/any mp where you can melt stuff.

Probably going to always do a hybrid build of some sort for higher mp runs/ubers with it. Either with Bears or maybe some type of AC proc build. Bears are still going to be the nexus of PvE dmg moves, but the ability to swap from melee to range and bypass walling affixes and not have nearly as many mana issues? That's something long-time bear docs would probably love.
Edited by RPRNoNsum#1561 on 1/31/2013 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
WoS/Bears build for higher MP is boss. Use it often - but the build can be a little tricky to drive with mana issues etc. Kind of build which shows up Manajuma's CK for being the suck knife it is.
Reply Quote

+1

Even for ubers, I would say Bears is far superior for two of the fights (if you have a CM Wiz). You can make a strong argument for WoS being better for Magdha/SK fight.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 1/31/2013 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 02:31 PMPosted by manvan
WoS/Bears build for higher MP is boss. Use it often - but the build can be a little tricky to drive with mana issues etc. Kind of build which shows up Manajuma's CK for being the suck knife it is.

Why? Because of the 1.40 attack speed? lol

I do that build very frequently at high mp and have no mana issues. Just gotta know which mobs to bear and which/when to soul.
Edited by RPRNoNsum#1561 on 1/31/2013 2:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 01:04 PMPosted by manvan
WoS was always the go-to spell. Skill always did what the new patch says it does, they've just switched on noob-mode for us.

I kinda always attributed having to aim this spell so randomly as poor game design
Reply Quote
This is the build ive been testing out for high MP (mp8-10, 10 mainly)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfUdbQ!fUc!ZcaYbb

I have been working on using both via RoE and VQ. WoS spamming allows me to stack up the mana regen (normally 4-5 casts is enough) then throw a couple of spiders to get vq going. Even with my higher than recommended atk spd, i can keep bears going pretty well. Im sure with a black dmg 1h spear and less AS (along with reduce zc cost) it will work even better. I like the utility of WoS when elites are fast, have walls, etc, times when bears are inefficient to use.

This build is geared more towards a group environment. For solo play (key farming, not solo ubers) you can switch out BBV for garg or zdogs. SV rune can be switched to Swallow your Soul if you need help with the mana.
Reply Quote
It is viable for sure, but it doesn't do everything
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Death

I guess WoS over Bears for ubers too, or am I wrong?
Edited by stefan#3330 on 1/31/2013 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like to use WoS & Pile On for ubers.
Reply Quote
WoS is the best spell for single targets we WD have...so yes...Bears over WoS for AOE and WoS over any other spells for single target like Ubbers...thats my opinion...
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 09:40 AMPosted by LoKaO
WoS over any other spells for single target like Ubbers

There are two (or more) targets in Uber fights, so it is not single target (if you run with a CM wiz). Take the Ghom fight for example... typically both ubers are frozen in the middle of the arena. I put my back up against one of the pillars and shoot a straight line of bears through both for 708% weapon damage on both ubers simultaneously (I don't have infinite Bears, but probably spamming ~80% of the time).

Siege fight is similar, though not quite as good (as back is usually not against a wall).

Magdha fight is a bit more spread out. WoS is safer for this fight, but I would still probably go with bears due to all the adds that spawn.

It would be great (for ubers) if I could take Bears and WoS, but I couldn't spam WoS without Rush of Essence, so I would need to drop a passive (which would kill my Bears output).

If you are doing ubers without a CM wiz, WoS becomes much more compelling. I think you could make a strong argument that WoS is better for ubers if you don't have a CM wiz depending on the rest of your build/gear.

Just my 2c (I've probably used WoS vs. ubers about 5 times, and Bears about 70).
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 2/1/2013 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well I agree with you in some parts, but unless u have a wall behind you, bears will do less dmg than WoS cause they spread a lot more...

It's viable to use both spells on ubbers, at least im doing this...I use bears to clear trash mobs like skels or ghom's mobs and I use WoS to DPS the boss...maybe I just don't know how to max the output dmg of my bears so that's why WoS seems to be a better spell for ubbers IMO
Reply Quote
For PvE: Bears > *. As much as I'd love to switch to something else, it's just not efficient.

Bears pierce, which, after everything else is factored in, is the single biggest benefit it has (other than ridiculous damage). It MOWs down trash on MP10, and can hit both ubers at the same time with some positioning.
Edited by PurgatoryZ#1776 on 2/1/2013 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]