Diablo® III

What is your profession?

02/01/2013 10:39 AMPosted by yodatoy
Got out of the navy 8 months ago...welder now

Where were you stationed?

Station on CVN75...Truman, in Norfolk va. still live in va beach! gotta love it at the beach
nevermind thread derail
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/2/2013 6:55 AM PST
@aimless

maybe a little more diplomatic, thus:

"waste of time" = "not for me"

I was part of a drug discovery team that will have a treatment for melanoma on the market this year. That's pretty special. It's what I like to do. Not a waste of time.

But that might not be what you want to do. And that's fine as well. To each their own...
This! I think quite a few us actually enjoy our work. I love being on the frontier of brain science and am certainly not doing pursuing my career for the pursuit of money. Though like Aimless, I try to make wise investments on growing my portfolio and save a lot (ie for those that don't know students are paid to attend graduate school in the sciences). Eventually I hope to have something that can supplement my preferred profession and I don't end up financially penalized. I guess we'll see, but it's looking good so far. :)
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 2/1/2013 11:23 AM PST
financial analyst
02/01/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Aimless
all ur doing in class is huge opportunity cost and usually paying for it.

That's only true if max $ is your goal. And even then only for the relatively few people that could pull it off.

Max $ was never my goal, but I do just fine anyway. DPS epeening is already gauche right? No need to bring W2s into it. Nonetheless, I commend you on your financial saavy at your age. Hell, at any age. HS economics should be less Adam Smith and more compounding interest, practical banking, investing, etc.

Well, that's enough unsolicited blah blah from me. I wish you good luck whatever you choose.
Fascinating, how you kids think these days.
nevermind thread derail
Senior Accountant at one of the nations largest private insurance brokerages.
I admit im lucky cos mom pays all bills

So actually, you're netting most of your gross from working and from investment returns, but the rest of us have mortgages and other expenses, plus families to take care of.
02/01/2013 11:26 AMPosted by jenpeezey
So actually, you're netting most of your gross from working and from investment returns, but the rest of us have mortgages and other expenses, plus families to take care of.

Its the American way to be a child well into your 20s nowadays.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Come on, I think we've dumped on Aimless enough for today.

Sure, he's lucky because bills are paid, but sound like he works his a** off on the weekends. Which is more than what you can say for most other kids. Or adults. And saving that much money is alot better than what most of the population does. Kudos.

Just a little dose of humility, for all those who pursue (higher) education not being a waste of time, was all I was asking.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 2/1/2013 11:35 AM PST
Concept artist and Computer Animator
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
More professions, anyone?
nevermind thread derail
i dont know i gotta give it up to aim hes 17 and hes figured out what he wants to do in life, also hes saved a buttload of money. buttload could be interpreted as just saving money tho, cuz at 17 i spent whatever money i made on some frivolous stuff
02/01/2013 09:38 AMPosted by yodatoy
@Chemistcarl Used to be in the Navy also stationed in Groton, CT (submarine base). =)

I just moved from Norwich CT...My aunt works on the Groton sub base(civilian nurse)...

I'm a master carpenter/contractor...semi retired!!
civil engineer
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Oh, I'll agree that I gave up any illusion of being "wealthy" by going to school. That's the first mistake that you'll likely make, ironically, LoL.

Starting a business, sales, real estate, is where the real money is (or at least can be). I guess hedge fund managers and other banking types probably went to school. Heck, the president of the US only makes 250k a year!

I'll agree with SteelPhantom, It's certainly not what I'd advocate, but I've seen the pie-in-the-sky (what does that even mean?!) ideas that my sister and bro-in-law have about making it rich. I'll put my money on Aimless.
No one is dumping on anyone.

When I was 17, I was graduating from high school, too, and obviously, my mother took care of the bills. In that stage of life, it is a hell of a lot easier to save what you make because you're not balancing your earnings against food, insurance, etc. on a family.

Also on being a kid, been there, done that. I was sure about a lot of things at that age, too. LOL. :D
I'm a grad student, planning to get my PhD in Nuclear Engineering in a couple months, provided I can convince my thesis comitee that my computer models are working correctly. MATLAB FTW (but boo computation time).
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]