Diablo® III

What is your profession?

Aimless I get what you are saying and it is not entirely wrong, but it is a case of over-correction.

There is a huge problem in our country where "college is not optional" and student loans are the norm.

College is so expensive now that student loans might not be worth it anymore at least from the standpoint of the data points that can be measured. If you can do it without loans, it is almost certainly worth it, but you can't just ignore the the cost anymore. You can't go in to university with the attitude of "at least I will have a degree" anymore. Until about 1998 you could just say "well at least I can be a teacher" or "at least I can manage a Pizza Hut," both jobs at the bottom of the pay spectrum which have unavoidable "degree required" status. The problem is that so many people have graduated and entered into the workforce with degrees that those jobs aren't just sitting there waiting anymore.

You HAVE to treat it like vocational training. Even though nobody wants to admit it, because they want to tell themselves that education is worth more than money. Education is free, it has been since the first public library system was rolled out to the masses... You are NOT paying for education. You are paying a university to certify your education. In other words, you CAN NOT learn anything in college that you couldn't learn for free,

Because society continues to infantilize 18 year old adults, it is socially acceptable to go to an institution, and borrow $100,000 to "figure out what to do with your life" That is the most idiotic thing you can do in the name of education. University education is not bad, for instance It is a pretty good idea to borrow $100,000 in order to earn your way into a job that pays $100,000 per year, but that is not how the masses have approached it, because from 1944-1999 (from the passage of the GI bill to Tech Crash) University Degrees represented social mobility "Get a degree so you can get ahead".,, Currently University degrees represent social stagnation..."Get a degree so you don't fall behind"

So I totally see where you come from Aimless, University is not right for everyone, but it is also not wrong for everyone.
Java programmer.
main job: engineer for the largest missile manufacturer.
side job: apple and facebook investor (yuck)
College is so expensive now that student loans might not be worth it anymore at least from the standpoint of the data points that can be measured

Certain amount of student loans, yes. Totally agree.

But you have to start saving when kids are little. I have a 529 going for my kiddo, and it has a good amount in it. Plus state school tuition. Don't think about private college tuition (e.g. Stanford); right now it's a luxury car per year. I get a headache thinking about it.
View profile
[nevermind
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/2/2013 6:48 AM PST
02/01/2013 11:50 AMPosted by Loroese
I'm a grad student, planning to get my PhD in Nuclear Engineering in a couple months, provided I can convince my thesis comitee that my computer models are working correctly. MATLAB FTW (but boo computation time).

wooo Nuclear! I'm trying to get into nuclear welding down here at the shipyards in newport news, va. I'd be building the reactors you design...as long as you design reactors for aircraft carriers anyway
!! I spent 4 years calibrating equipment down in the reactor plants on the ship I was stationed on, its a very interesting job working with nuclear power plants.

And unfortunately aimless, we all will be working until we are 30...and then another 20 or 30 years! Maybe only 10 for you ;) heh
Edited by V1powered#1919 on 2/1/2013 12:10 PM PST
Tech Slave (own a small comp repair shop) The best 25 yrs of my life, besides getting married last year. (yes she is looking over my shoulder) lol. It is cool to see what other people do, good job op. Did not see the fellow Monk part, Wizzer here but darn it i got distracted.
I guess i am posting were i belong now lol.

Posted previously on the Monk thread.
Soldier(17years)

Canada :)
02/01/2013 11:50 AMPosted by jenpeezey
Also on being a kid, been there, done that. I was sure about a lot of things at that age, too. LOL. :D

QFT
02/01/2013 12:04 PMPosted by V1powered
I'm a grad student, planning to get my PhD in Nuclear Engineering in a couple months, provided I can convince my thesis comitee that my computer models are working correctly. MATLAB FTW (but boo computation time).

wooo Nuclear! I'm trying to get into nuclear welding down here at the shipyards in newport news, va. I'd be building the reactors you design...as long as you design reactors for aircraft carriers anyway
!! I spent 4 years calibrating equipment down in the reactor plants on the ship I was stationed on, its a very interesting job working with nuclear power plants.

Cool, but I'm mostly working with modelling and not so much the design portion. Though when modelling sometimes you have to do a considerable amount of design :S
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@loroese,

During your defense, just get the profs on your committee arguing among themselves about the models. After about an hour, your time will be up and it'll be, "Congratulations Doc."

Worked for me. Well, not a whole hours worth....but still. Profs arguing with themselves is pretty funny to watch.

good luck
View profile
As the world turns do you guys notice richest guys in your neighborhood work least? something to think about...
I agree with Aimless there on that last statement.

But to stay on topic I'm a Linux Systems Admin for a fortune 500 company that owns several colleges around the world. I'm also a part time software engineer, but that's more hobby than job since I don't get paid for anything I code.
Lol

Aimless

I see the elitism as a wizard carries into real life as well.

Your way is your way. School offers opportunity that is a given. It's what you do with it that matters.

Can you do it without ? Sure.

And stop boasting about your assets and money made in a weekend. These are forking professionals getting slapped around by you and your dollars ?

C'mon now.
02/01/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Aimless
College is for ppl that will work for me someday. Nothing wrong with it, I'd like talented ppl that work hard for a paycheck. more talented more margins i can make off them. But work is not optimal. Capital is.

It is said that engineers are the dumbest smart people. I.e. your method works for sure.

But again, optimal for me is not max $. I sometimes solve hard problems just for fun. And face it, so do you... otherwise you would have rolled a barb right? If you want to solve really hard, fun problems and get paid for it... you'll need the degree.

You read some interesting personal finance books, cool. How about Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker? How is that relevant? Well, you might not actually have the exact same motivations as the finance authors.
02/01/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Aimless
As the world turns do you guys notice richest guys in your neighborhood work least? something to think about...

Nope, richest person I know personally just started up another company and works his butt off.
View profile
nevermind thread derail
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/2/2013 6:56 AM PST
Guys, the title says "what is your profession" and not "let's give Aimless a life advice".

Monk community has Cardiothorasic surgeon, 73 yr old ENT doctor, a toy store owner.

Let's us continue with your profession thread b/c some of us would like to know. and let's get on the popular forum for the wknd.
I invent ice cream flavors for a living.

I am dead serious.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]